APK of previous version

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
lmcguire

APK of previous version

Post by lmcguire »

Does anyone by chance have the APK for the previous version of GL? GL 5.x in the play store didn't know it wasn't compatible with my hardware - thanks bunches to whoever sets up the play store requirements - so it installed over 4.x, but won't work (stops at 3/4 of load, claiming I'm not connected to the internet). I have no money to buy new hardware, so unless someone has the APK, I can no longer use the GL (I know the previous version will eventually no longer work, but that day hadn't come yet - I also know I should know better than to update apps, but usually, they know whether they're compatible with the device).

Thanks,
Liz
lmcguire

Re: APK of previous version

Post by lmcguire »

Found a source for APKs, but I've now come to the conclusion that they've also altered the scripture downloads (others work, but not the scriptures) so that they'll only work in v5.x. So, I'm screwed, as is anyone who doesn't already have the scriptures downloaded in a new version. No gospel library app for me. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll just kick everyone but the rich people out of church altogether. Seriously ticked. It's just text. Members should not have to be on the leading edge of hardware just to get the text of the scriptures electronically.

Maybe a moderator could just delete all my posts from this website. I'm done with the church's technology.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lmcguire wrote:GL 5.x in the play store didn't know it wasn't compatible with my hardware
New version, new bugs. According to this post, as long as you're on Android 4.4, you should be ok. If you're on 4.4 or later, shoot an email to android-support@ldsmail.net.

If you're not on 4.4, that same post indicates that you should still be able to run something, but it may not be getting content updates.

Edit: I see from another post you're on a Galaxy Note 8. That appears to run 7.1.1. So, you're well within the support window. It's just a question of why the new version doesn't work on that phone.
lmcguire wrote:Found a source for APKs, but I've now come to the conclusion that they've also altered the scripture downloads (others work, but not the scriptures) so that they'll only work in v5.x.
That's strange. In the past they've created a new content source and over time depreciated the old one. I'd be concerned that the APK you got has malware that is interfering with it's function.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jasoncloskey

Post by jasoncloskey »

Return to “Android Gospel Library”