Highlighting not working.

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
jasonhyer

Highlighting not working.

Post by jasonhyer »

I reported a problem to support yesterday that highlighting was not working in handbook 2. I could see where highlights were because of the tag in the right margin. I also couldn't create any new highlights.

Below is what I got back from the missionaries working support tickets.

We have discovered a problem that is affecting highlighting in Gospel Library on both platforms and it is coming from a content update that was released early this week that affects mostly General Conference. You do not need to do anything about highlights you cannot see in your content, and if you have created annotations in content, you will likely see what you have annotated under Notes category in the Library when you pick the "All" tab under Notes. As long as you do not delete your app, anything that isn't syncing or showing will be picked up by the annotation syncing service with a new content release that corrects the problem that has been found.

It was great that I got a response so quickly. I'm very concerned though about how often and how large the content updates are. I've had at least 2 this week that I am sure of and maybe three. The content updates kick off when I open the app and it downloads almost everything. It's bad enough and often enough that the app scanner on my phone has identified gospel library as a very large consumer of data and I get warned about it regularly.

Please pass along the concerns about the frequency and.size of the content updates. It really is not fun to have the app unusable at church because the content is being updated. I've gotten in the habit of opening the app the night before so I can get everything updated and can use the app in church and during meetings. There is nothing worse than trying to reference the scriptures, a manual or a handbook in a leadership meeting or a class only to have the app unusable for 10 or more minutes. It's now compounded with the content updates messing up basic functionality like highlighting.
grjensen13

Re: Highlighting not working.

Post by grjensen13 »

I'm having the same problem in attempting to highlight in the Book of Mormon today. (Shouldn't be too many content updates for the Book of Mormon file!!) In my experience, old highlights do display, and new highlights can actually be created (I can tell by looking at Related Content) but they just don't display.

I also share the frustration of too frequent downloads from Gospel Library, even if it's just the catalog. Would it make sense to have a maximum of a weekly download (say Wednesday midnight SLC time) unless something urgent needed to get out or major new content like the availability of General Conference?

(Do developers or system maintenance personnel review these posts? Thanks for your attention to these issues.)
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

grjensen13 wrote:...

(Do developers or system maintenance personnel review these posts? Thanks for your attention to these issues.)
Generally, no. This is a user-to-user forum, not an official support channel monitored by assigned personnel. There are a few Church employees who frequent the LDSTech forum, but generally not in an official capacity, if I understand correctly.

If you want an official support channel for lds.org, that would be the 'Feedback' link/button on each page. I'm not acquainted with the Gospel Library app, so I don't know whether there's an official 'Feedback' or 'Help' facility. If you can't find one, perhaps you could file feedback on an lds.org page related to the Gospel Library app.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

rmrichesjr wrote:I'm not acquainted with the Gospel Library app, so I don't know whether there's an official 'Feedback' or 'Help' facility.
Yes, there is a Feedback option. In the Android version it is under Settings > Send Feedback. That is the official support channel for Gospel Library.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

This issue has been fixed with a content update that went out this afternoon. In Gospel Library for Android, you can force the app to check for and fetch updated content by going to the main library screen and pulling downwards (you'll see a spinning progress circle while it's checking, then the updated catalog will appear in your downloads queue, followed by updated books for all the books you have installed that were affected by the content problem).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
grjensen13

Post by grjensen13 »

Thanks for the info about how to properly provide feedback. And thanks for the note that the content was updated yesterday.

I tested it this morning and the highlighting worked on my phone (Android 5.1). Tried it on a tablet (Android 4.3) and got funny results: My recent underlines didn't display, even after pulling down on Library to ensure I'd received the update. I removed and re-downloaded the Book of Mormon just to be sure I had the update. No change. I can set a "shading" highlight style and that works. But the underline highlight style still won't display. Weird. (My wife's phone (Android 4.0) displays just fine. Maybe there's a problem with GL interacting with Android 4.3.)

I'm still grateful for the app. Thanks for everyone's comments.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Try force-closing (swiping out of recent apps) and reopening the app, then pulling down a couple of other times (make sure your tablet is connected to a good internet connection). I'm guessing your tablet hasn't received or installed the newest content catalog yet.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
grjensen13

Post by grjensen13 »

I have a strong internet connection (I'm 40" from my router) and tried the above without success. But that may not have fully shut down the GL app. ... I tried a Force Stop then restarted GL and it worked!! (Interesting. There must be varying degrees of shutting down an app.) ... Thanks again for the help.
parkerts610

Post by parkerts610 »

As of today, highlighting is still not working using Chrome nor Safari. I am able to highlight using my Kindle but none of those highlights are showing up when using my Mac in the browsers mentioned.
applegate3

Post by applegate3 »

Please fix this asap...

Return to “Android Gospel Library”