Download of all content

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
bweight

Download of all content

Post by bweight »

Why does my Samsung 6 now always have to download content that was already downloaded I Gospel library. I go to open it for class and I can't get to anything until it downloads (10 minutes later).

It just started happening and I know I'm not the only one with the issue. I imagine it might have something to do with android or some 3rd party app "cleaning" my device, but I haven't changed anything and I don't have a 3rd party cleaning app installed.

Thoughts on where to look m
christianwilliams

Re: Download of all content

Post by christianwilliams »

Mine too. It's terribly frustrating. Usually it's just a minute or so but if you don't have an internet connection it could take longer to open.

My wife's phone does it too.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I have seen the same thing. It is my understanding that when GL starts, it syncs your annotations and does an index update to check for new content (the blue line / orange line thing). If this happens at Church at the beginning of Sunday School class, it takes a while because everyone else is doing the same thing and the WiFi is not very robust. I have begun starting GL at least once on Sunday morning before I leave for Church and letting it get what it thinks it needs before I go out the door. The first start of the day seems to take the longest, and I have a good Internet connection at home.

I also have GL set to only download on WiFi. If I forget to prime the pump at home, my workaround is to turn off WiFi on my device, start GL, and then turn on WiFi again. I have found that GL will start quickly, and then GL will work in the background to do what it does.

And while it seems that GL is always downloading all of the content, if I look at what is really downloading it is usually just items that have changed. Sadly, I have also noticed that everything changes a lot. That is not the fault of GL, but happens because of the way the Content Team provides content to LDS.org and the world of mobile devices.

Gospel Library is a difficult app to manage if you are used to doing things efficiently when needed, such as trying to get to your bookmarked spiritual thought in your early morning meeting.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Note that the more books you have downloaded, the more likely it is for there to be a lot of books with updates. lajackson is correct that this is due to the way the content team provides content to the app and LDS.org (it happens on iOS too, but is more "hidden" – no downloading notification – and the iOS app sometimes gets into a weird state because it tries to switch out the content while you're using it, instead of kicking you to a splash screen like Android does – there are tradeoffs). I hope things will slow down, but unfortunately, content updates have been tending to happen once or twice a week.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
liljorgie1

Post by liljorgie1 »

Yeah it's completely rediculous now, it just keeps say 30 or 29 items to Download looks like it running really fast but never gets through them. I am at my house and internet it's about 60 to 100mbps so I know its wigging out.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Have you tried clearing your current downloads under Settings > Downloaded Media > Current Downloads? Maybe there was some sort of glitch in the middle of the downloading. Also, make sure you're not running low on storage space on your device (that could cause downloads to never finish).
matthewsage

Post by matthewsage »

This is a constant issue I face on all of my devices. I don't think it's caused 100% by updated content, and I have no downloaded content to clear. Once or twice a week my GL app will decide to redownload all of the general conference talks from the 70s and 80s as well as magazines. I don't those are being updated weekly by content management.
I remember one suggestion was to not download the content but rather let the app get whatever you need when you need it. However this can leave you stranded and it doesn't let you do thorough searches.
It's odd that this is still an issue after over a year. I have a device with the old 3.x version loaded and it didn't have the constant update problem. All content is downloaded and it just works. Whereas the 4.x version from day one has always started slowly and tried to update.
A really easy fix would be to have an option to turn off automatic content update and allow us to use a simple pull down gesture to refresh if desired, or just an update button.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

matthewsage wrote:I have a device with the old 3.x version loaded and it didn't have the constant update problem.
The 3.x version uses a different content store. That content store no longer receives updates. I don't think you'll find anything for 2018 in there.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
matthewsage

Post by matthewsage »

You're correct that the old 3.x version is not receiving the latest content. Currently I load my phone with the 3.x so that I can reliably have access to manuals and scriptures and my tablet with 4.x so that I can get the latest general conference and other content.
The odd thing is that the most recent content is not what is being done loaded every week. It's always the earliest magazines and general conference talks from the 70s and 80s. That seems like it shouldn't change week to week.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

CSS updates can cause a lot of content to be updated at once.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”