Gospel library requires internet access

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
natet

Gospel library requires internet access

Post by natet »

I've noticed an annoyance with the Gospel Library app on my Android tablet. Our building has terrible internet, so we have been turning off the wireless network each Sunday so that the clerks can perform their financial processes. Today I noticed that as I clicked around in the Gospel Library, a box appears at the bottom of the screen that says "This action requires an internet connection. Please connect to a mobile or Wi-Fi network and try again". This message remains on the screen for several minutes, blocking some of the content on the page. I've only observed this on my tablet. My phone doesn't seem to have the same issue.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Gospel library requires internet access

Post by sbradshaw »

Is your phone connected to the internet (over cellular data, if the Wi-Fi is off)?
What kind of tablet do you have (I'm assuming it doesn't have cellular data)?

That's a standard error message if you try to download audio or video or a book without an internet connection, but I wouldn't expect it to appear randomly, or to stay on the screen for several minutes (usually it's only there for a few seconds).

Did you kick off a "Download All" for audio or books, so the device is trying to queue up several things to download at once?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
deandbrown

Post by deandbrown »

I'm ... of late ... receiving the same message on my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S7)... "Failed to Download ... Check your internet connection and try again". It was working just before the 1st of the year. I have plenty of available data on my phone for download and I still get the message when I'm connected via WiFi. Took to my provider (T-Mobile) and they said there was no issue with the phone. I even updated the Android system. Nothing works.
natet

Post by natet »

sbradshaw wrote:Is your phone connected to the internet (over cellular data, if the Wi-Fi is off)?
What kind of tablet do you have (I'm assuming it doesn't have cellular data)?

That's a standard error message if you try to download audio or video or a book without an internet connection, but I wouldn't expect it to appear randomly, or to stay on the screen for several minutes (usually it's only there for a few seconds).

Did you kick off a "Download All" for audio or books, so the device is trying to queue up several things to download at once?
I put my phone in airplane mode when I did my test, but I had the gospel library open earlier in the day, so it's likely that it was done with downloads. I don't know how often Gospel Library tries to download files, but I notice it downloading things at least the first time each day that I open it.

I never kicked off a download all, but I have noticed that sometimes when I use the app, it initiates a download for basically everything I have previously pulled. I haven't timed this download, but it's significant enough that at times during Gospel Doctorine or Priesthood they have already finished reading the scripture I was trying to look up before the download was complete. I personally would like more control over when the content updates get applied.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Another thing to check – are you on the latest content catalog version? If you go into Settings > Send Feedback, it will load some diagnostic info into a text file attached to an email. If you send that email to yourself you can open the text file and see what content catalog version the app is on. It should be on content catalog version 565 as of this afternoon.

If your content catalog is out of date, you can force it to check, download, and install the newest catalog by going to the main library screen and swiping downward (you will see a spinning arrow as it's checking, then download will queue up in the Android notifications area, if there is an update). For best/fastest response you'll probably want to be on a Wi-Fi connection when you do this.

If your app is stuck on an older content catalog, it may be pointing to older versions of books online that are no longer on the content server when trying to download.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

deandbrown wrote:T-Mobile
If you're connected to the T-Mobile network and have T-Mobile Web Guard enabled, Web Guard blocks some of the Church content servers, which could cause unexpected behavior in the app. Usually the problem I've seen is when trying to download or stream audio or video. But you mention that it gives errors on Wi-Fi, too, so that may not be the problem.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sbradshaw wrote:It should be on content catalog version 565 as of this afternoon.
Does this mean there have been five updates since this afternoon? Or does the content team count by fives? Just wondering.

Catalog Version: 570
as I post this.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

lajackson wrote:
sbradshaw wrote:It should be on content catalog version 565 as of this afternoon.
Does this mean there have been five updates since this afternoon? Or does the content team count by fives? Just wondering.

Catalog Version: 570
as I post this.
I was checking on my phone while I was on the bus, so it's possible my app wasn't fully up-to-date yet... It is possible that there was a catalog update today, though. The numbering goes up every time there's a change on the beta content lane, but not every beta content bundle gets pushed to production.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sbradshaw wrote:It is possible that there was a catalog update today, though. The numbering goes up every time there's a change on the beta content lane, but not every beta content bundle gets pushed to production.
It seems that the app is downloading actual items almost every other day. I know it has happened at least four times in the last week for me.

Unless there has been a problem with the download and it is taking place in multiple parts.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Which begs the question - why so many updates? Are they updating as they push out a format update for each chapter? Can someone talk to them and indicate what kinds of problems the frequent updates are causing?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”