UPDATING ENDLESSLY

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
hallistone

UPDATING ENDLESSLY

Post by hallistone »

Help! Gospel Library, on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge has been updating for at least 8 hours, with no end in sight. This has never happened before. I am unable to access any content while this is going on. I tried restarting the phone, with no success. I went into the app setting and "forced" stop. Still updating when I open it. What's going on?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: UPDATING ENDLESSLY

Post by russellhltn »

The server's been having a lot of problems lately. It might be acting up again.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I think I saw this on a friend's Samsung yesterday. When she started Gospel Library, it just displayed a splash screen endlessly. I had her reboot the phone, and then uninstall and reinstall the GL app. I don't know if that fixed her problem.
The problem I have with my LG phone is that GL wants to download every stinking book in the library. I keep killing the download to prevent it from filling all available memory.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
GreyWolf68

Post by GreyWolf68 »

I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail. I did find a temporary workaround, though. I opened Chrome, navigated to www.lds.org, searched for a talk, and got the option to open in the Gospel Library app. Then I was able to navigate as normal, though backing out completely left Gospel Library again in the unusable state. In fact, the app didn't even show in Recent Screens/Apps. Upon further testing, I discovered that opening a new screen once I was to that point seemed to restore functionality even after backing all the way out, but the initial screen still doesn't show in Recent Apps.
Jldevictoria

Post by Jldevictoria »

I am also having this exact same problem. It's like the sync procedure is stuck endlessly syncing. I uploaded a picture of where it is frozen.
Attachments
Screenshot_20170724-224230.png
Stuck like this forever.
(161.8 KiB) Not downloaded yet
bewest

Post by bewest »

Same problem on my LG G6. Hopefully now that the holiday is over someone can fix this. I know there was a problem with the church's computers this past Friday, July 22, 2017, but it appeared to have been fixed sometime on Saturday the 23rd.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Are any of you running the beta version of the app?

Uninstalling and reinstalling should fix the problem. There was a corrupted content catalog on the server between Saturday night and Sunday morning. If you opened the app during that time, you would have gotten into this state. A developer fixed the issue around 9:30 AM on Sunday morning, so any uninstalls/reinstalls after that time should fix the problem, and anyone who didn't open the app during that time wasn't affected.

We think this might have only affected beta users, but we're still trying to figure that out (none of the feedback for this issue was sent through the app, so we can't tell what version people were running! :) ).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
GreyWolf68

Post by GreyWolf68 »

I am using the beta version, but have a family member who is not, as far as I know (I will find out for sure), who experienced the same issue. It is now resolved after uninstalling and reinstalling a second time.
ab7zo

Post by ab7zo »

I'm experiencing the problem of the endless splash screen with version 4.1.1.8.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

ab7zo wrote:I'm experiencing the problem of the endless splash screen with version 4.1.1.8.
Did you uninstall and then reinstall the app?

Return to “Android Gospel Library”