"Cast to a nearby device" issue

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
jared_glenn

"Cast to a nearby device" issue

Post by jared_glenn »

Over the last week or two the Gospel Library App on my phone has had some problematic issues, but yesterday they rendered the app unusable. Since then, every time I attempt to open a section of text the app requests that I "Cast to a nearby device" for some reason. In an attempt to overcome the issue, I uninstalled and reinstalled the app, and, when that didn't work, I tried re-installation a second time. I even tried to comply with the instructions and cast to my television, but that didn't work either.

At this point, I'm unsure what to do. I found a lot of instances of this happening in the app store reviews, but I can't seem to find a solution elsewhere online. While I certainly disliked the force closes, I could still soldier through that - but this problem essentially bars me from the app.

Please, if anyone knows of a way to overcome this issue, I'd be very grateful for your help.

Thank you!

Jared
MelissaBaugh

Re: "Cast to a nearby device" issue

Post by MelissaBaugh »

We're having the same issue on an Android phone as well. We haven't yet discovered a work around but it makes us unable to read at all and we can't cast to another device because no other device ID showing any kind of pin anyway. I just want to read before bed :cry: I really like the Gospel Library app besides this issue though.
kirkmarcuscardon

Post by kirkmarcuscardon »

My wife and I have had the same issue on our phones. She was able to uninstall and then reinstall the app and it seemed to fix the issue for her. I have tried to do the same but the issue has not gone away. I too would like to know if anyone has been able to make the "cast to a nearby device" pop-up stop and how.
kevinkjohn

Post by kevinkjohn »

I'm having the same issue on an LGV20. Please fix!
xagreus

Post by xagreus »

Same issue here (Android).

I've found that if I put my phone in Airplane Mode, I'm able to use the app without the "Cast to a nearby device" popup. But then I can't download additional content, so I'm stuck with what I've downloaded previously.

Wish I could just download the old version of the app, since I'm not a fan of this version (I don't like how it opens multiple windows). But that's not likely, so Im looking forward to the bug fix!
haveden

Post by haveden »

Super annoying. Doesn't feel like an upgrade.
ellispalmer

Post by ellispalmer »

I have put the phone (Moto 4G) in "Airplane Mode" and that has stopped the pop-up messages.
I am sure this will cause other problems when the program has to download something.
Make sure to turn off "Airplane Mode" when you exit the program.
Good Luck - Hope this gets fixed soon.
infarctus

Post by infarctus »

I have this same problem. How funny, studying the scriptures is thwarted by a technical glich. Maybe I need to go old school, never had this problem with a book...
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

This problem isn't limited to Gospel Library – it has popped up for other apps that support Chromecast as well, and has to do with the latest Google support libraries that are bundled in the app. I haven't seen the problem myself, but I've heard that disabling Bluetooth might stop the popup, while the developers are working on a fix. (Bluetooth is one of the things that gets disabled when you turn on airplane mode.)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

infarctus wrote:Maybe I need to go old school, never had this problem with a book...
On the other hand, you never had night theme, tappable footnotes, audio, search, copy/paste, unlimited notebooks and bookmarks, history, and thousands of books, manuals, and magazines in your paper scriptures. :)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”