Severe Accessibility (Vision) and other problems with 4.0.0.38

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
lmcguire

Re: Severe Accessibility (Vision) and other problems with 4.0.0.38

Post by lmcguire »

Here's a screen showing the play store entry for GL 4. Tapping on the three box icon should show "Auto-update" checkbox - uncheck it. (I couldn't get a screenshot while the option was showing.)
Screenshot_2017-01-17-06-50-05.png
If that's not available or isn't working, you may need to turn off auto-updates in general, in the play store, tap the three bar icon at the top left and go to Settings:
Screenshot_2017-01-17-06-50-45.png
Tap "Settings" and then tap on "Auto-Update apps", which will bring up a dialog, where you can choose not to auto-update any apps:
Screenshot_2017-01-17-06-51-08.png
Handling updates can then be a pain because you'll have to choose them one by one (or set the others to auto-update but leave GL4 to NOT auto-update).

If none of that works, I'm clueless.
bookwalk

Post by bookwalk »

:roll: Help I was doing fine with the pre-4.0 GL and then it stopped adding recent Ensign issues. That's so sad. Why don't we have a choice or can't they at least return to the font choices to increase readability contrast and return to 3.0 footnotes?
bookwalk

Post by bookwalk »

I was able to read the content in the pre-4.0 Android Gospel LIbrary and then they stopped allowing the Church magazines to update and download. It seems there are no plans to repair the readability and so those of us with impaired vision of the lack of contrast have no choice for studying the Ensign and Scriptures. Is there a way for someone to pick up the 3.0 version and "fix" or rewrite it to allow it to download the Church magazines?

If you look at the Dec 25 Issue of Church News and a picture of the new 4.0, it is extremely misleading and deceptive. See image attached. There is no way that any of the LDS Content will ever look like that picture![img][img][/img][/img]
Attachments
Gospel Library 4 View.jpg
(1.02 MiB) Not downloaded yet
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

How do you read content in other apps? Most apps don't have any font options. Gospel Library for iOS hasn't ever allowed fonts to be switched (at least, not for several years if it ever did) and readability has never come up as an issue.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

sbradshaw wrote:How do you read content in other apps? Most apps don't have any font options. Gospel Library for iOS hasn't ever allowed fonts to be switched (at least, not for several years if it ever did) and readability has never come up as an issue.
The previous version of GL allowed you to choose a **sans serif** font. The new one does not. The request is not about picking your font as in, "I wanna format this in MS Comic." It's about being able to choose a **sans serif** font option.

Since you asked about other apps, here we go:
* GMail & the "Email" app - sans serif
* Skype - ditto
* Merriam-Webster dictionary app - ditto
* Camera app - all settings (the only text) are sans serif
* LDS Tools - sans serif
* Amazon Kindle - probably the closest to GL in terms of being explicitly for reading long passages of text - guess what, I have font options out the ying yang, as they say
* Deseret Bookshelf - sans serif
* Citation Index - ditto
* Calendar - ditto
* Contacts - ditto
* texting app - ditto
* text in the Phone app - ditto
* Play Store - sans serif
* Price Compare app - sans serif
* ColorNote - ditto
* Instagram - ditto
* Twitter - ditto

ETA: Just to make that perfectly clear, every single app I opened, **no exception** was using a sans serif font. EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Exactly how many do you need? Cuz I got more and more. It is easier, especially for old eyes, to read a sans serif font *on screen*. Everyone seems to know it, but the branding folks for the Church have overridden this and said tough luck.

With the website, I can use Firefox and the Stylish add-on to overrule the branding folk, but I don't have a way to do that with GL.

PS: The same research that says sans serif is easier on screen, says serif is easier in print. So the branding folks' desire to have print and on-screen use the same font, is contrary to what research says is best, so maybe they oughta get over that desire.

Liz
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

lmcguire,

You may want to pick up a Windows 10 device for your gospel studies, at least while the Android guys play catch-up with their old app. On Gospel Library for Windows 10 beta, for example, you're able to select any font installed on your device (our previous version offered a few fonts, with a handful of both sans serif and serif fonts). Additionally, both our older app and our beta add in a font called OpenDyslexic, a font designed to make it easier for people with dyslexia to read in the app. We'd love any feedback you have for us as the beta goes on, too. I've seen lots of your posts here and think your contributions could help us have a well-polished, user-friendly app when we leave beta.

I personally feel sans serif fonts are easier to read in print and on the screen and prefer sans serif fonts like Segoe and Calibri where I can get them.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

ToManyLetters wrote:lmcguire,

You may want to pick up a Windows 10 device for your gospel studies, at least while the Android guys play catch-up with their old app. On Gospel Library for Windows 10 beta, for example, you're able to select any font installed on your device (our previous version offered a few fonts, with a handful of both sans serif and serif fonts). Additionally, both our older app and our beta add in a font called OpenDyslexic, a font designed to make it easier for people with dyslexia to read in the app. We'd love any feedback you have for us as the beta goes on, too. I've seen lots of your posts here and think your contributions could help us have a well-polished, user-friendly app when we leave beta.

I personally feel sans serif fonts are easier to read in print and on the screen and prefer sans serif fonts like Segoe and Calibri where I can get them.
I can't begin to justify that expense. And I have no reason to believe GL for Windows 10 will be better overall to justify switching all my hardware. Further, the phone isn't mine, it's my employer's, so while I can use it for whatever I want, I don't get to choose the phone itself.

But if it's true that there are font options on other OSs (like there used to be on Android), then the "branding" argument just flew out the window and there's no good reason not to bring back a sans serif option for Android.

Thanks, though, for trying to help me find a solution. :) I may go hunt for font-override apps for Android. :D
pillarshadow

Post by pillarshadow »

I too can't believe the San serif font option is gone now. It is more difficult for me to read the scriptures on my phone now. I know they are trying to make it look like the classic physical scriptures but screens just don't read well without San serif fonts. I'm a software engineer myself and I work on Mobile apps and web apps. San serif fonts are a must for screen readability.
deehrj

Post by deehrj »

I'm wanting sans serif also. Serifs clutter the screen a lot and are distracting from comprehension.
trb22

Post by trb22 »

Absolutely, says serif option, please!

Return to “Android Gospel Library”