Gospel Library 4.0 for Android

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Gospel Library 4.0 for Android

Post by sbradshaw »

winonadavies wrote:I can't see my footnotes, links, or tags on the same screen.
There are two ways to see the full list of related content: 1) in the overflow (three dots) menu of a chapter, choose Related Content, or 2) after opening a footnote in the sidebar, tap the list icon at the top of the sidebar to see all. On a tablet, or on your phone in landscape mode, you can pin the sidebar open so you can see the main content and all of the related content at the same time.
winonadavies wrote:I can't do a quick search so I can link things easily.
Do you usually link by searching for a word or phrase, or do you know what specific chapter/verse you want to link to? If you know the chapter/verse, as you start typing in the Link screen, suggestions will appear below the search box. You can tap those suggestions to link quickly. For example, if you type something as simple as "n37" it will suggest 1 Nephi 3:7, etc.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
dsesplin

Post by dsesplin »

I'm missing the ability to open the related content screen and scroll the book and the footnotes etc side by side. When we study the scriptures together, it is nice to be able to scroll through the chapter and have our thoughts and comments scroll along with the text. Is this view still available?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

dsesplin wrote:I'm missing the ability to open the related content screen and scroll the book and the footnotes etc side by side. When we study the scriptures together, it is nice to be able to scroll through the chapter and have our thoughts and comments scroll along with the text. Is this view still available?
Yes, if you rotate your phone to landscape mode, or if you're on a tablet, you can pin the sidebar with related content open.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sylviachristensen wrote:I need the 2017 Primary Sharing Time resources, which I had in the old app. Well, it isn't available in the new app. Primary Presidencies are going to be frustrated all through the church, we need to plan!
It's hidden. I mean, why would you put it where you would expect to find it?

Under the Teachings group select Lessons.
Under the Organization group select Primary.
It is at the very top under Sharing Time.

At first my droid said it was not available and was downloading. Then it said the download failed. Then the document opened.
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

winonadavies wrote:Please! Let me have the old version. I can't see my footnotes, links, or tags on the same screen. I can't do a quick search so I can link things easily. The menu is not nearly as intuitive as the 3.0.3 version.
You can get the old version here, and side-load it: https://tech.lds.org/dl/android/org.lds ... 60913-1723
dsesplin wrote:I'm missing the ability to open the related content screen and scroll the book and the footnotes etc side by side. When we study the scriptures together, it is nice to be able to scroll through the chapter and have our thoughts and comments scroll along with the text. Is this view still available?
NOTE: While you can pin the "Related Content" pane in landscape mode, it does not scroll along with the text - you have to scroll it separately.

Liz
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

lmcguire wrote: NOTE: While you can pin the "Related Content" pane in landscape mode, it does not scroll along with the text - you have to scroll it separately.
Liz
on my phone when I stop scrolling the related content will update
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
kirkchad

Post by kirkchad »

I also used text to speech on Android for listening to audio of manuals while driving or walking/riding a bike. I agree that this was a very important part of gospel library to me.
bruderbell

Post by bruderbell »

Awesome app!
I'm still exploring the new capabilities and interface. Two questions:
Can I lock the orientation to portrait mode?
I use Google keyboard (Gboard) on my android. While in the app, I seem to be unable to enter text via swipe. Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks!
jasonhyer

Post by jasonhyer »

I am trying to use the app in church today but can't. None of the content is downloaded and when trying the wireless at church is so slow that I can't get any content downloaded in time to use it for my classes. Because I use my phone and tablet I don't use one device or the other all the time so while I think I may have downloaded content before I get to church, unless I remember to check, I may not always have started the app before church on one of the devices.

Back to my paper scriptures so I can follow along in class.
Markpook

Post by Markpook »

I can get used to everything else, but the new related content sidebar is a pain. I have long and detailed footnotes throughout the entire Book of Mormon. I used to press 1 button and be able to read it all comfortably, with it following along as I worked my way through the chapter. Now I have to scroll in from the side of the screen, scroll through all my footnotes to find the right one and read about 4-5 words per line and then close it again before I can move on. The alternative being to rotate my device landscape and pin it every time. That still doesn't solve the 4-5 words per line problem because I can't resize it like the old one and it's a lot more uncomfortable to read that way.

Functionally-speaking, I feel like this is a massive step back. I understand a lot of work went into this and I still love the app and appreciate all the work that goes into it, but at the moment using the footnotes I've spent many hours on is such a pain that I don't even want to bother. Please add an option to use the older system.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”