Gospel Library 4.0 for Android

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
sschraedel

Re: Gospel Library 4.0 for Android

Post by sschraedel »

I can't see the audio speed control on my new download...
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

sschraedel wrote:I can't see the audio speed control on my new download...
What version of Android are you on? Only Android 6 and above allows you to control the audio speed. Audio settings are found by tapping the three-dots overflow menu on the right side of the audio player. Hope this helps!
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
Leone337

Post by Leone337 »

I have two issues that I have not seen mentioned elsewhere.

First I had downloaded all audio, but now when I try to get to the audio for a specific chapter it insists on counting up to Moroni 10 and only lets me listen to that chapter. I have tried removing the Book of Mormon and reinstalling it, letting it read to the end of the chapter, all to know avail and have no idea what to try next..

Second when I update an existing bookmark it does not change the name to the new verse like it used to, so I have to update, then rename it manually, BUT that puts the old verse in one place and the new in the other, and only when I rename it a second time does it get the correct verse in the top and Book of Mormon in the second line. Any ideas?
danielwong

Post by danielwong »

I buy a new phone is Huawei GR3 is Android 5.0 ,and I install the update of GL , but when I tried to download anything from there the GL app freeze completely and the app get close if , I use the older version of the GL I don't have this problems , this only happen with GL and hymnbook app too anybody knows how to solve the problem? , I tried with a different SD card because I read that may be the problem , but I have the same result the app closes automatically.
mojoteri

Post by mojoteri »

sbradshaw wrote:
cbradford wrote:Is there a way to display the footnotes on the same screen as the main screen as in the previous edition? It was super useful to see the footnotes on the same screen instead on having them hidden on the side.
Yes, on a phone in landscape mode, or on a tablet in portrait or landscape mode, you can pin the sidebar open. The sidebar was moved to the side to allow displaying more dynamic content – some design compromising was required.
cbradford wrote:Also, the ability to move the bookmark by dragging it has gone away. Please tell me it will be brought back.
This will probably be brought back at some point; however, it's not on the near-term roadmap. It's not a feature that was used very often because most users weren't moving a bookmark within a chapter – instead, they tended to move them between chapters. That, combined with the complexity of the interaction (for programming) and the tight deadline, required the feature to not be ported over for now.

If you updated bookmarks using the bookmarks menu before, you will probably notice that updating a bookmark is done using the bookmark's contextual menu instead of long-holding like it used to be. This allowed long-holding for dragging and reordering the bookmarks (which wasn't possible before).
How do you set a bookmark at the bottom of a page? I'm on a pixel tablet, and that leaves about 15-30 verses/page that can't be bookmarked. Our family reads a page a day, bookmarks are now marginal. Also, can't use them teaching. They no longer point to the scripture, but the top part of the chapter.
namsden

Post by namsden »

Did text to speech go away for audio playback? I'm forced to stream or download. Sometimes I don't want to do either or can't.
catmulls

Post by catmulls »

Thanks for this information. I could not figure it and probably would not have without this message. To me it would seem the top level item should show up in the search. Whenever I go to the bookshelf, I do not go looking for may 2016, I go looking for ensign. I think it would be fine to leave the functionality as is but please add top level we can find that in the search.

sbradshaw wrote:
piercem wrote:I create my own links alot and I have a problem in GL 4.0 for Android in that if I want to create a link from a scripture to an Ensign Article I can't find a way to do it. In the former versions when you chose to create a link it allowed you to navigate to the destination. In 4.0 it asks you to enter the reference. I can't seem to figure out what the reference would be for an Ensign article or one of the chapters of the Teachings of one of the prophets.

Does anyone know how to create the reference so someone can link a scripture to an Ensign article?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone has with this problem.
Because search only returns results like chapter titles for items that have been downloaded, search first for the book name (like May 2013) and choose the Ensign from the search suggestions. If it's not downloaded, the app will prompt you to download the Ensign. After it's downloaded, you can tap on it again and you will see the list of articles. You shouldn't actually need to press search if you know what you want to link to – start typing the book name and it will show up in search suggestions, and browse from that point.
tracibill

Post by tracibill »

Feedback on using on a kindle fire hd:

I liked being able to move the bookmark by tapping it and pulling it where I wanted but can no longer do that. I also liked the old default of updated bookmarks moving to the top of the queue. When my daily reading or class bookmarks move too far down the queue, I have to delete them and then add them again to get them back to the top.

I *really* like how uncluttered it is with not having all the highlights annotated(?) on the side bar. I do have problems tapping the link or note icons and getting them to come up (I usually have to try three or more times). I also liked being able to see my notes and link along with the original footnotes. It was more like writing in the margins of my paper scriptures. I also appreciate being able to annotate *all* of the content, and I like the new search format for linking.

Where can I find directions to make links bi-directional? I also imagine I can't use multiple screens because of my platform.

Thank you,
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

tracibill wrote:I also liked the old default of updated bookmarks moving to the top of the queue. When my daily reading or class bookmarks move too far down the queue, I have to delete them and then add them again to get them back to the top.
I liked the old default of updated bookmarks to the top, as well. However, you can move bookmarks. If you press and hold it, the bookmark will pop up slightly, and you then can move it up or down. I actually like this, because I have some one-time only bookmarks for future use loaded way down the list. I can move them up near the top when needed, then delete.
rogerandmoira

Post by rogerandmoira »

Problem: my wife has an Ipad and I have a Samsung tablet. Unfortunately, we are both signed into Gospel Library on my membership number, so that whatever annotations one of us make, it affects the other's annotations. How can we separate at this stage? My wife has far more annotations than I have as hers is years longer than mine - but she is signed in via my membership number. Any suggestions please? Thank you

Return to “Android Gospel Library”