Gospel Library 4.0 for Android

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
bpurser

Re: Gospel Library 4.0 for Android

Post by bpurser »

sbradshaw wrote:Another feature I forgot to mention in the first post that I'm interested to see people's thoughts on – the main developer put a lot of work into an intelligent search suggestions feature to quickly jump to a chapter or verse. Try hitting the search button and type, for example "n37", "tg faith", or "oct". In addition to chapters and verses, book titles and notebook titles also show up in the suggestions. This works in other languages as well. I think this is a killer feature for quick lookup!
Love this feature!!! Works great for jumping around the scriptures. One letter and a number and you are there.
GrasseDD

Post by GrasseDD »

bpurser wrote:
sbradshaw wrote:Another feature I forgot to mention in the first post that I'm interested to see people's thoughts on – the main developer put a lot of work into an intelligent search suggestions feature to quickly jump to a chapter or verse. Try hitting the search button and type, for example "n37", "tg faith", or "oct". In addition to chapters and verses, book titles and notebook titles also show up in the suggestions. This works in other languages as well. I think this is a killer feature for quick lookup!
Love this feature!!! Works great for jumping around the scriptures. One letter and a number and you are there.
Maybe bringing up the search feature and typing "tg faith" and selecting a result is more efficient than drilling down Library>Scriptures>Topical Guide and scrolling to Faith. But maybe not for all content. It is nice, then, to have the choice to do one or the other. Unfortunately, that choice doesn't exist when creating a link.
D.G.
ebyers

Post by ebyers »

Wow, there is alot that has been changed. I don't like to sound like a complainer - but - now on my phone instead of being able to view content with a section below showing related content, the related content now expands over 80% of the screen from right to left so that I can no longer view content and related content. Very disappointed to see it become less useful.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

ebyers wrote:Wow, there is alot that has been changed. I don't like to sound like a complainer - but - now on my phone instead of being able to view content with a section below showing related content, the related content now expands over 80% of the screen from right to left so that I can no longer view content and related content. Very disappointed to see it become less useful.
If you rotate your phone to landscape mode (or on a tablet in portrait or landscape) you can pin the sidebar open so you can see the main content and the related content at the same time.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sbradshaw wrote:If you rotate your phone to landscape mode (or on a tablet in portrait or landscape) you can pin the sidebar open so you can see the main content and the related content at the same time.
That's somewhat helpful -- thanks for the suggestion. However, the related content doesn't change as you scroll through the main content, like the previous version did. So you have to notice another footnote or annotation and tap on it to see the related content for the portion that just scrolled onto the screen. That's a huge step backwards from the previous version.

It would sure be nice if the pinned related content would change as you move through the content. I guess it could occasionally be useful to pin a particular piece of related content, so that it remains visible as I move around to various pieces of main content where I might want to still refer to that pinned note. But I found the previous version's related content window's dynamic updating at least 10 times as useful.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

bruderbell wrote:I use Google keyboard (Gboard) on my android. While in the app, I seem to be unable to enter text via swipe. Anyone else seeing this?
I tested with Gboard on a Pixel with Android 7 and the Samsung Swype keyboard on a Galaxy S5 with Android 5. Both allowed me to enter text by swiping. I tested by creating a new note / editing a note. Is that where it wasn't working for you – in the note editor – or is it somewhere else in the app?
amandamallett

Post by amandamallett »

Trying to figure out how to download all the audio for a session of general conference rather than one talk at a time...
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

amandamallett wrote:Trying to figure out how to download all the audio for a session of general conference rather than one talk at a time...
Go to a talk, then choose "Download Media" from the overflow (three dots) menu. You will see a dialog box with a few options. Tap "All audio."
dmchr3

Post by dmchr3 »

Hi,
I have a Samsung S5 phone and since upgrading I've found an issue that I can't seem to solve. I love to listen to the audios of the conference talks and scriptures. But when I bookmark in the middle of a chapter (Let's say 3 Nephi 3:17), it bookmarks the text, but when I go back to listen, the audio always starts over. In the previous version, the audio was bookmarked too. Any way to bookmark that? The only workaround I've found is to just fastforward till I get to where I was, but that's a pain - especially if I don't remember where I was. And for long chapters like Jesus the Christ. Thanks for any help on this!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

dmchr3 wrote:I love to listen to the audios of the conference talks and scriptures. But when I bookmark in the middle of a chapter (Let's say 3 Nephi 3:17), it bookmarks the text, but when I go back to listen, the audio always starts over. In the previous version, the audio was bookmarked too.
Not resuming audio where you left off is a known bug – it's on the developers' list and will likely make it into an update in the next couple of months. Thanks for the feedback!

Return to “Android Gospel Library”