Battery Drain with new Android lollipop update

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
esmyth

Battery Drain with new Android lollipop update

Post by esmyth »

Is there any way to stop the Gospel library from spontaneoulsy restarting in the background multiple times during the day causing battery drain with the the new Android Lollipop update?
lmcguire

Re: Battery Drain with new Android lollipop update

Post by lmcguire »

When you're done with the Gospel Library, are you going back to the library home page and then tapping the Android back button? Or do you just hit the Android home button or something similar? Cuz I haven't seen the Gospel Library open itself, so I'm wondering whether your Android is actually closing the app. Do you have one of those widgets that shows open apps so you can verify it closes (or doesn't) when you think you've closed it?

If it's not closing, I would use the feedback in the app to let the developers know as it's probably device-specific (I know it closes on both of my devices).

I've looked all through the settings and cannot find one that looks like it would re-open the app. Are you by chance using the bookmark widget? (I don't, and I'm wondering if maybe that keeps something open.)

Also, are we talking about a phone or a tablet? If a phone, have you told it to only update over WiFi? (That might help, not sure.)

Finally, if you haven't already done this since the lollipop update, you could try clearing the cache for the app (not the data, unless you want to re-download everything), then powering off the device for a minute or two and powering it back up? I've read where some people had to do a factory reset, apply any other device updates, then reinstall all their apps and restore all their data, and then their "lollipop" battery problems were solved (seems drastic, and I haven't needed to do that, but that's something I've read).

Just some random thoughts while waiting to see if anyone else has seen this.

Liz
esmyth

Post by esmyth »

Thanks for your comments. I am using the LG G3 with Android Lollipop. KitKat didn't have the problem. I'm now trying an app killer to hopefully prevent the battery drain. One of the battery usage apps gave the message that the Gospel Library app was restarting 32 times in a 20 minute period. I do use the bookmark function in Gospel Library. I'll try turning off the bookmark function to see if that will help. It might be the syncing function that continues to resync rapidly.

ed
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

Just for the record, I was talking about the bookmark widget that sits on the Android desktop, not the bookmark feature inside the app. And I don't know whether it's a problem, but it's the only thing I can think of outside the app that might cause what you're describing.

As for the frequent restarting, that's weird, going now to check my battery monitor.

On my Lollipop Galaxy Note 3, GL is not using the battery at all (and the "running apps" widget shows it's not running, and I'm not using the GL bookmark widget). This device has power-saving mode on - maybe that makes a difference.

So, it does indeed look device-specific. I'd still recommend the in-app feedback so the developers get all your device info. I had another app that stayed running all the time - until I uninstalled and reinstalled...

FWIW,

Liz
dianeevans

Post by dianeevans »

Some users have "protection" apps that prevent unauthorized WiFi access. The problem is that you have set Gospel Library to automatically update -- so you get your newest Ensign on time, for example -- but your third-party app prevents the "unauthorized access." Your phone is now in a vicious loop, with Gospel Library trying valiantly to update, and the other app doing its best to prevent the update. As with any other epic battle, nobody wins and the battery is the loser.

Try to figure out what app is preventing the update, and change the settings to allow Gospel Library to do its job.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”