New Training Videos

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
lmcguire

New Training Videos

Post by lmcguire »

In case anyone is looking for detailed training videos on the current Android Gospel Library, I've started making a set. Three are now on YouTube, and I'm planning 11 total. You can get to them through my website or my YouTube channel. Here's a link to the introductory post, which details all the planned videos:

http://www.lizmcguireonline.com/index.p ... y-training

...and here's a link to my YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpjc0W ... -nzAPvcm0A

I'm committed to doing at least one per week, but will try to do at least two, more if I can make the time.

FWIW,

Liz
lmcguire

Re: New Training Videos

Post by lmcguire »

FYI (in case you're waiting for enough to make it worth referring someone), I've now got 6 videos done: 3 introductory; custom collections, bookmarks, and highlighting. 5 videos remain: tags, links, notes, journal entries, notebooks. Some of those will be longer than today's three, but hopefully I can keep up the pace.

Liz
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

These are great! Thank you. What process do you use to make the videos?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

Thanks, Sam/Samuel. Sorry, but this will be long (I tend to be too detailed, but I think that's better than not enough). Under each video on YouTube are links to the tools involved, so I won't repeat the links here.

First is to get a good Android emulator. I use a PC, and found that Genymotion's emulator was the only one I could get to work well (I tried the two most popular - per google - and they stink by comparison, IMO). It would be nice if I could get the Google play store on it (I think I could side-load it, but that looks like a lot of work), but at least I can side-load the Gospel Library (which is easy - drag and drop the GL apk file from a Windows Explorer window into the open Android instance, and it installs).

Next is the screen-recording software. I decided to go with Camtasia from TechSmith mostly because they've been around a long time, and have extensive training videos. (I watched all those before buying, to be sure the tool would do what I want.)

The really important part is to plan out each video, step by step, in a script (learned this in the Camtasia videos, and downloaded their template for that - MS Word doc with one column for what you do, another column for what you say). This took a long time to write. (It helped that I watched the iOS videos linked-to on my site, which gave me an idea how to organize the training; and then did an in-person training, which helped me learn what works and doesn't.) Once I had these down, it was time to start recording.

I put the emulator full-screen on a 1680x1050 monitor, then have Camtasia record 1680x945 (as I recall - same aspect ratio as 1280x720). You can adjust which part of the screen it records, or just record full screen (but I didn't want the Windows title-bar for the emulator, so I did a specific part of the screen). When you start recording, it counts down, and then you just run through your script. I actually have my script as a PDF on my Android tablet so that I can scroll through it without needing the mouse / cursor / focus to leave my Android emulator (one hand to navigate the emulator, the other to scroll the PDF doc). I use a USB headset to record audio (though one or two of the videos so far may have used by built-in webcam mic without me intending that - I need a new headset).

I frequently pause during recording and then repeat a section (either because I read the script wrong, or a dog made too much noise). When I'm done recording, I load the recording into Camtasia and begin the editing process. This mostly consists of cropping out parts where I goofed (just highlight the start and end of the part to cut and click the cut icon). Once, I simply turned the sound down because I was navigating in Android and the dog was making noise.

Once the editing is done, I have Camtasia output a 720p MP4 and I upload it to YouTube. I could add fancy stuff to the video (zooming, pointers, text, other audio, etc.), but I feel like it's more important to get them out there sooner, than to add all that, and I don't think they really need it. Even at 480p I can still read the text...

Anywho, that's the idea. Let me know if I missed anything you were curious about.

Thanks,

Liz
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

Just wanted to let everyone know this series is now complete. And I added an extra, twelfth video - on how to cheat in Sunday School. :-)

See the links at the top of this thread for more. Please share with anyone you think could use training resources for the Gospel Library (trainers or users).

Thanks,

Liz

Return to “Android Gospel Library”