Handbook 1

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
GrasseDD

Handbook 1

Post by GrasseDD »

According to my iOS friends, one of the most sought after features has been added to their Gospel Library app: Handbook 1.
Of course, that moves it up the requested features list from "really want" to "must have". Any word if it is in the works for Android?
Thanks,
D.G.
ScottHindmarsh

Re: Handbook 1

Post by ScottHindmarsh »

Back in September at a Bishopric meeting our first counselor "trained" our bishopric that Handbook 1 was now available in the Gospel Library. The bishop logged in on his iPhone, synced his library and sure enough, there it was. Being the second counselor, I attempted the same thing on my Samsung S5, but no go. That resource did not show up in my library.

I submitted an email to Android support and the response was "We're not aware of Handbook 1 being available in Gospel Library"

I figured there was some programming issue that still needed to be worked out in the Android version, but it's been a few months now since it was introduced to the iOS version and Android still does not have it.

I have not yet compared libraries to the iOS users, but I wonder what other resources Android users are missing out on just because they are using Android instead of iOS.

I suppose such is the plight of us Android users.

I would have thought a global smartphone market share of over 84% Android would have a bigger impact on development prioritization? Heh, I guess I just hope we get it sooner rather than later. /crosses fingers
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

ScottHindmarsh wrote:I have not yet compared libraries to the iOS users, but I wonder what other resources Android users are missing out on just because they are using Android instead of iOS.
I, an Android user, am not aware of any other resource other than this that is available to iOS and not to us. I also hope they are working on it.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

ScottHindmarsh wrote:I would have thought a global smartphone market share of over 84% Android would have a bigger impact on development prioritization?
Three years ago (several mobile phone lifetimes ago!) I posted that question in this forum:
Which smartphone does church support?
If more Android OS phones are being sold worldwide, when will more Android apps be developed for LDS users?
Sound familiar? But to address the OP question about Handbook 1 is really "wishing" equality across all devices for LDS Apps, without moving that to any "action" that makes it so. Maybe the post below is dated, but nbflint gave us perspective on "development prioritization," and his last line suggests the "action" that will make equality a reality (I added the emphasis.)
nbflint wrote:
smp55 wrote:This being said, the fact that the DEVELOPERS (not the Church, of course) continue to treat Android users as second-class citizens seems a bit short-sighted.
Please remember that when you talk about "The Developers" you are talking about a group of volunteers who are creating and maintaining these apps more or less as a hobby. They don't owe you or me anything. "The Developers" choose which platforms and which apps they volunteer to work on based on any number of criteria and for any number of reasons. For example, I don't volunteer for Android projects because the platform doesn't interest me at this point in time. It's not that I'm being short-sighted; I simply enjoy the benefits of other platforms and have no interest in spending my very limited available time doing Android development.

What the church and the volunteer developer community are doing is nothing short of miraculous. I appreciate your fervor and encourage you to become a part of the solution. If you have the skills needed for development on your favored platform, volunteer them. If you don't, go get them.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I thought that content was shared between all platforms of Gospel Library – content being separate from app development. I'm not positive but I thought that was the case.

What is your calling? Not all members (not even all leadership callings) have access to Handbook 1.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sbradshaw wrote:I thought that content was shared between all platforms of Gospel Library – content being separate from app development. I'm not positive but I thought that was the case.
True, but access to Handbook 1 introduces the concept of enforcing access permissions, which is a development task, not simply content. So in this case it makes sense that the iOS and Android versions of Gospel Library could have different content until Android updates its permissions model.
nateburgoyne

Post by nateburgoyne »

Pretty, pretty please release Handbook 1 on Android devices, not just iPad/iPhone, for bishoprics and stake presidents.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

nate, as a note, the Android and iOS apps typically leapfrog over each other. Android develops stuff that isn't in iOS and iOS develops stuff not in Android, it usually isn't log after one that the other picks it up. It hasn't always been that way, but it is the goal now.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
watsonda

Post by watsonda »

Any word on this? It's now a year later and It's still not available. (To me anyway).
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The next major release version of Gospel Library for Android will support role-based content. You can download the beta (actually, alpha) version of Gospel Library 3.5 for Android by doing the following:

First, join the LDSTech project "Gospel Library Android" (if you've never joined an LDSTech project before, you'll need to sign the ICLA):
https://tech.lds.org/projects?controlle ... ojectid=11

Next, join the Gospel Library BETA Google+ community:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities ... 5251519476

Finally, sign up as a tester through Google Play:
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/org.lds.ldssa

After that, you will see the beta version in the Google Play store from your device.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”