Repeated Downloads of Entire Library

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
MitchelBButler

Repeated Downloads of Entire Library

Post by MitchelBButler »

My apologies if this is answered somewhere. I'm not sure where to look.

I have Gospel Library on my Galaxy 5 phone and my Kindle Fire. On both devices I have subscribed to everything in the library. I notice that every few weeks or months, my devices seem to re-download the entire library (several hundred files). I'm not sure, but it seems to happen whenerver there is a new version of the App.

I can understand that a few files might have been updated from time-to-time. But I can't believe that the whole library (such as Ensigns from 1972) needs to be downloaded over and over again if I already have it. Is this normal, or or am I pushing a wrong button, or do I have my settings misconfigured? It is not a huge problem because it happens in the background. But it does seem to be a tremendous watse of bandwidth if it is not really necessary.
lmcguire

Re: Repeated Downloads of Entire Library

Post by lmcguire »

I don't know whether it's normal, but you're not alone. This happens to me and to my brother (more commonly on our phones than our tablets, but it does happen). I'm not sure it's the entire library, but it is hundreds of download and indexing tasks. My suspicion is that the app or the content (or both) occasionally get updated to support / use standards (e.g. classes or Ids in the HTML; methods of laying out text on the android; etc.) and for this to take effect, it necessary to download the updated content. I expect there are also occasional corrections from user-reported errors.

If you're worried about the amount of data, you can always set your phone to only download on WiFi, so it doesn't eat up your data plan...

FWIW,

Liz
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Happens to me on both my Nexus 7 and Galaxy S5. I don't believe it's update related, as it was happening almost every time I started the app and was on a WiFi connection.

I see this problem has hit some iPhone users as well. Here's what one person did to solve it.
https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19903
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

This happened to me several times over a few days late last week and earlier this week. I am not sure whether I got the whole library four times, or if I got parts of the library over four different WiFi encounters. It has stopped on its own, so I have attributed it to an entire library format update, but I am not at all certain that was the cause. Galaxy SII.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I think the content delivery system downloads everything whenever it updates, and swaps out the old file for the new. From what I understand, I think this keeps the content on your device from getting out of sync with the content at LDS.org and stores things more efficiently.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”