Search function does not work in Gospel Library

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
jasondavie

Search function does not work in Gospel Library

Post by jasondavie »

Hi guys,

For me, the search function in Gospel Library has never worked. It doesn't matter if I select "find on page", or "search entire library", etc. there are ALWAYS ZERO hits returned.
It doesn't matter if I search for a complex sentence or a simple word such as Jesus or Bishop - still nothing.
Does anyone else have this problem?
I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S2 Android phone.

Regards,
Jason.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Search function does not work in Gospel Library

Post by aebrown »

jasondavie wrote:For me, the search function in Gospel Library has never worked. It doesn't matter if I select "find on page", or "search entire library", etc. there are ALWAYS ZERO hits returned.
It doesn't matter if I search for a complex sentence or a simple word such as Jesus or Bishop - still nothing.
It works fine for me. One thing to check: Under Settings on the menu, there is an option called "Enable indexing"; if that is not checked, search won't work at all.
jasondavie

Post by jasondavie »

Nah, I tried that option weeks ago and I just tried it again. Unfortunately it makes no difference. I simply can't search for anything in Gospel Library. I don't have this problem with other apps on my phone. Maybe I should delete it and reinstall.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I was trying to search a phrase in Conference talks in Gospel Library a week or two ago and got Zero results. Thought I was doing it wrong. I'm on a Samsung Note 8.0 running Android. At the next opportunity I'll check to see if I have indexing enabled - I think I do, but cannot remember for sure.
iansebryk

Post by iansebryk »

search flat out doesn't work beyond a one or two word request. for everything beyond that, i use the church website through a browser. search doesn't work. never has.
jasondavie

Post by jasondavie »

Wow, this seems like a MASSIVE problem with Gospel Library! Hopefully it can be fixed soon.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jasondavie wrote:Wow, this seems like a MASSIVE problem with Gospel Library! Hopefully it can be fixed soon.
I think it would be helpful to be specific, rather than making broad statements. The original post said that search did not work, even for a simple word such as "Jesus" or "Bishop". That is definitely not the case for me. Here are my specifics:
  • Gospel Library v 3.1.0.8, on a Nexus 5 running Android KitKat 4.4.4
  • I'm in the Scriptures area of Gospel Library
  • I press the Search button and choose "Search scriptures"
  • I enter "bishop" as the search term
  • I get back many results, starting with 6 in the New Testament, 24 in the Doctrine and Covenants, etc.
If I were to get zero results with such a search, it would indeed be a "massive" problem, but that is not the case in my testing.

Now I will certainly grant that a multi-word search gives disappointing results; it seems to only do a phrase search. But single words do seem to work properly.

Please provide similar specifics about your experience. Note that in this post you said that you would reinstall the app. Did you do that?
guyvanhorn

Post by guyvanhorn »

Search function works on my Samsung Tab 3 but does not work at all on my Galaxy S4.
singinglia

Post by singinglia »

I have the same problem. I searched the word Isaiah and got no hits. I continued to try simple words and every time it came up with no matches.
viperskillz

Seaching

Post by viperskillz »

When ever I try and search anything with the Gospel Library App, it doesn't matter the word or phrase I use, it always results with a "no matches". I have looked at the advance settings and played around with them, but nothing seems to work. I have a Samsung SCH-I535 (Galaxy S3). My sister also has a Samung, but it is the Galaxy S5. She is able to do a search on her's and get results, why would I not be able to get any results. . Help in solving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”