Search function does not work in Gospel Library

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
cantcacheme

Re: Search function does not work in Gospel Library

Post by cantcacheme »

I was having the same problem on my moto g. I verified the index box was checked, as mentioned above, but still nothing was happening. I would type in something like...here's an example from today in church. I typed in "study it out" trying to find the scripture in D&C 9. My search results showed a blank screen. I didn't know what else to do, so I uninstalled the gospel library app and then reinstalled it. It took some time to redownload my gospel library books. I waited until at least the book of Mormon and D&C were downloaded and tried the search again. I was warned that results may be small since everything had not finished downloading and that an index was still incomplete. I got the same blank screen. I decided to use the wonderful gift of patience that I could probably use more of, and waited for the downloads to complete and a few minutes after that. I ran the same search again and got quite a few different hits. I was so excited that it worked.
For those of you still having issues, my guess is that somehow the index didn't start, or failed to finish somehow within the code on your phone. If an uninstall and reinstall doesn't work, as it did for me, I'm guessing it's something the church will need to fix. Try sending some feedback to them and maybe they'll look into it.
dianeevans

Post by dianeevans »

Some people can restore the search function, by uninstalling and then reinstalling the app, as some important data files may have become corrupted.

Some users have found that if you go to Settings>Advanced Options>Clear Search History that this may return the search function to a working state.

The developers are aware of this problem and are completely rewriting the search function for release later in 2015.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Related in a way, Search returns no results. But I first get an error message that some of the materials have not been indexed and therefore will not appear in the search results. Based on the search results, I suspect that indexing has not occurred since the latest material download.

Is there a way to force GL to Index the material? It doesn't seem to want to do it on its own.

I have submitted this through the email feedback system. I have tried to clear the search history. I have uninstalled and installed again.

Has anyone here tried anything else that got indexing going again?
angelbuer

Post by angelbuer »

My search doesn't work at all. One word or anything simply hasn't worked. I have uninstalled and reinstalled entire library twce. Nothing. This massive problem seems to be on Samsung/ Android systems. I have to go to lds.organization to search.
lankimanc

Post by lankimanc »

IT WORKS! Finally!! The search function has never worked on my MotoX (Android) no matter what settings I changed or redownloaded, until I ran yesterday's update (May17th 2017). Now it works perfectly.
jedranot

Post by jedranot »

I am trying to do a search on "commandments" the only thing that comes up in the search is the friend and old testament stories. I am not getting and scripture results.
totallyjace

Post by totallyjace »

I have an IPhone, and it wasn’t working either. I just deleted the app and re-downloaded it! Works fine now!
dsesplin

Post by dsesplin »

For me, the search functions seems to be working after I deleted and reinstalled the app. But I do have a question:

The results are not in any particular order. For example, I searched for 'destroy' and then selected the book of Mormon. There were 132 results that are displayed. It lists several results in Alma, then some in 2 Ne, then Alma again, then 2 Ne, then 3 Ne and so forth. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the order of the results. I would think that they would be listed in order of occurrence in the Book of Mormon? Am I missing something?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

At the top of the list of results, when you're filtered to a section like Scriptures, there's a drop-down where you can choose to sort by relevance or book order. The default is relevance. Relevance is based on a few things – for example, how many occurrences of the search terms are on the page/chapter; also, whether the search terms appear in the title vs. somewhere else on the page.

If you know you're looking for results in, for example, 2 Nephi, an alternative is to navigate to 2 Nephi, then start a search from there. When you start typing, you'll see a tappable search suggestion appear below the search bar that says something like "Find 'x' in 2 Nephi".
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
dsesplin

Post by dsesplin »

Thank you. That works. I didn't notice that before.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”