How to remove tags

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
PamelaBonta

Re: How to remove tags

Post by PamelaBonta »

Yes, I realize this is an Android discussion. But if something is not working or not available yet in Android and there is a way around it until it becomes available, I think people should know about it. Lowercase tags should work using what I described. Uppercase ones...no idea. :)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

PamelaBonta wrote:Yes, I realize this is an Android discussion. But if something is not working or not available yet in Android and there is a way around it until it becomes available, I think people should know about it. Lowercase tags should work using what I described. Uppercase ones...no idea. :)
But your workaround does not work on Android Gospel Library, regardless of whether the tag is lowercase or uppercase. Your workaround only applies to LDS.org, where it really isn't necessary -- the tag disappears on LDS.org as expected when the last reference to that tag is deleted.

If I'm missing something, please let me know, but I didn't hear you say anything about what will fix the problem in Android Gospel Library.
PamelaBonta

Post by PamelaBonta »

I just had someone else on the LDS.ord Response Team who has an Android device check this out. Here is the conversation:

Me: Can you create a 'test' tag on your mobile device (or if you already one called that, a different unique tag name) and highlight a random scripture and tag it with that? Then sync it with LDs.org. Go to LDS.org and see if the 'test' tag is there. If so, click on it. Then click on the scripture in the middle column that has the tag. And then go to the right hand side and scroll down to where you choose which tags are used. Click on the x to delete the tag from the scripture. Did the tag disappear from the list in the left-hand column? and when you sync again, has it disappeared from your Gospel Library?

Her: No the tag did not disappear from Gospel Library. Not only that but I tried another experiment and changed the name of the tag on LDS.org, synced again and the name on the tag was still test on my Android. Hope this helps. It also would not let me delete the tag from LDS.org, when I synced it but would let me delete it from the Android on the website when I synced it....

Me: how did you delete on your Android? and you are using Gospel Library 3.0, right?

Her: I am using version 3.0.2.11. I was unable to delete the tag when I was on the website...even though I deleted it there it would pop up on the Android when I synced them and then would be back on the website as if I hadn't deleted it. On the other hand when I deleted the tag on the Android and synced with the website, it was gone from both places.. You delete it on Android similar to the way that it is deleted on the website. When the tag is highlighted, there is a trashcan that is an option that can be touched. When the trashcan is touched, a screen comes up that says This annotation contains additional content. Do you really want to delete it? If you touch no, the tag remains. If you touch yes, the tag is deleted.

Me: Does the name of the tag delete?

Her: yes...everything about it is deleted...any additional notes, highlighting....all deleted. however what does remain is the name is in the list of previously used notes...a shortcut library so that you don't have to type out frequently used notes....it doesn't appear in the text, just in the library...
So,it appears that one can delete the tag from Android, but that it is not syncing properly. I am in the process of writing a report for my supervisor at his request to forward to the appropriate person to look at this. If you could provide any additional information, it would be most appreciated and I will add it to my report. God bless.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

PamelaBonta wrote:So,it appears that one can delete the tag from Android, but that it is not syncing properly.
Thanks for following up on this. But neither you nor the person you quoted explains how to delete the tag. Several people have tried (I've tried myself) and although I'm an experienced Android user, I cannot find any way to do it. It would sure be helpful if someone could give more details than "I deleted the tag".
PamelaBonta

Post by PamelaBonta »

She said: When the tag is highlighted, there is a trashcan that is an option that can be touched. When the trashcan is touched, a screen comes up that says This annotation contains additional content. Do you really want to delete it? If you touch no, the tag remains. If you touch yes, the tag is deleted.

When you do this, she says: ...everything about it is deleted...any additional notes, highlighting....all deleted. however what does remain is the name is in the list of previously used notes...a shortcut library so that you don't have to type out frequently used notes....it doesn't appear in the text, just in the library...
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

PamelaBonta wrote:She said: When the tag is highlighted, there is a trashcan that is an option that can be touched. When the trashcan is touched, a screen comes up that says This annotation contains additional content. Do you really want to delete it? If you touch no, the tag remains. If you touch yes, the tag is deleted.
For me and my Android, the tag cannot be removed. Remember, as aebrown said,
the question concerns the item called Notes at the top level of Library. Choosing that gives you options for All, Journal, Tags, or Notebooks. If you choose Tags, then you see your list of tags. The question is how to remove an item from that list.

I created a tag called "testing" and applied it to a couple of passages. Then I removed that tag from every passage.

But the "testing" tag still appears in the list of tags, even though it is not connected to any annotation. There is no interface provided for removing that tag from the list.
That is the problem we are trying to solve. It may be helpful to include aebrown's quote in your trouble report.

The tags in the content come and go as advertised, but I cannot remove the tag from the main list, even if the content is no longer tagged. Once on the main list the tag never goes away.

We do appreciate your help in working on this bug.
PamelaBonta

Post by PamelaBonta »

Thanks for the info. I will add it to my report!
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

3.0.2.11 on Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Starting at the GL home page...

1. Tap "Notes"
2. Tap "Tags"
3. Tap the tag I want gone (this brings up a list of items tagged with this term)
4. Remove the tag from each item
5. On the last item, I removed this tag and replaced it with another (on my first test; on my second test, I just removed the highlight altogether by hitting the trash can icon):
* Click on the box at the right side of the line with the highlight
* in the toolbar, click on the tag icon
* in the popup, click the "x" in the tag I want removed
* in the "Remove Tag" confirm popup, click OK
* Pick a different tag (ah, on trying to repeat this, I see the previously-deleted tag, though it wasn't showing up any more in the list from #2 above; perhaps this is where everyone is saying it cannot be deleted)
* click the checkmark icon to close the tag popup
6. I then pressed the back/return button on the tablet to go back to the list of items in the tag (list is now empty).
7. Then press back again (to go the list of tags); in this list, the "deleted" or "empty" tag does not appear.
8. But the tag still appears in the list of potential tags that I get when I highlight text (e.g. in the scriptures), click the tag icon, and get the popup "dialog" wherein I can select an existing tag or type a new one. I can see no way to get "empty" tags removed from this list. (Though I'll bet there's a way to hack it out of the database - but I don't have time tonight to fiddle with that.)

Prior to this experiment, I thought everyone was saying the empty tag still shows up in the list from #2 above; in my experience, it doesn't - only in the list of potential tags (which to me acts like your browser history - having all the stuff you previously typed).

FWIW,

Liz
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lmcguire wrote:Prior to this experiment, I thought everyone was saying the empty tag still shows up in the list from #2 above; in my experience, it doesn't - only in the list of potential tags (which to me acts like your browser history - having all the stuff you previously typed).
I am most definitely talking about your step #2, and it is still a problem on my Gospel Library. However, I am unable to duplicate the problem from scratch. If I follow your steps (and I have done this many times), the newly created tag will go away from the list of tags.

But the fact remains that I have 2 tags that have no content, and yet they appear in the list. One of them has what looks like an orphaned tag (first screen shot), and the other used to have 3 orphaned tags. On that one (called "test") I used the long press to select them all, then deleted them. The orphaned tags went away, but "test" still appears in the list in your step #2.

I'm confident that if I deleted all my content and started over, they would go away (I did that with a third tag that had caused me problems earlier, and it's truly gone now). But I don't want to lose all my downloads again.

And I'd still like to be able to remove obsolete tags from the pick list as well.
hg.png
(27.84 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
test.png
(24.53 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
georggreindl

Post by georggreindl »

I am "glad" that the issue is verified by an admin. However, now what? How can one post feature requests? The way it started is that I had a typo in the tag and I simply cannot make it go
away.
I am also missing the "justify text" feature that was there before the big update.
Georg

Return to “Android Gospel Library”