How to remove tags

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
kkruger

How to remove tags

Post by kkruger »

I created a tag in Gospel Library on my Android device. I want to delete it. I removed all the content from the tag but cannot find a way to remove the tag itself. I logged in to lds.org and went to Notes and could see the deleted contents for the tag but the tag is not listed there. I tried clearing the trash. Resynced on my tablet but the tag is still showing. So current state, tag is on Android tablet but not showing on lds.org Notes. Anyone have any idea how to removed tags?
lmcguire

Re: How to remove tags

Post by lmcguire »

Unless something has changed, go to the notebook, open the tag as if you wanted to see all the things with that tag, and since it's empty, it should ask if you want to remove the tag.

Liz
georggreindl

Post by georggreindl »

I have exactly the same problem. Tag is empty but cannot be removed. I really would appreciate a hint here.
Thank you
Georg
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

georggreindl wrote:I have exactly the same problem. Tag is empty but cannot be removed. I really would appreciate a hint here.
Have you tried using a long press on the tag? You should receive a trash can in the menu that may be of assistance. If not, you may have a software glitch.
georggreindl

Post by georggreindl »

Yes I have tried that. No trash can. What do you recommend?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

On my Android (Galaxy S2), anytime I highlight a tag there is a trash can in the menu at the bottom. I do not even need to long-press,

If you are not seeing that, perhaps you may wich to reload the app.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:On my Android (Galaxy S2), anytime I highlight a tag there is a trash can in the menu at the bottom. I do not even need to long-press,
I don't think we're talking about the same thing. It's not a question of removing a tag from a particular section of content that I have highlighted. That works fine, and indeed there is always a trash can available when I highlight the annotation.

Instead, the question concerns the item called Notes at the top level of Library. Choosing that gives you options for All, Journal, Tags, or Notebooks. If you choose Tags, then you see your list of tags. The question is how to remove an item from that list. I created a tag called "testing" and applied it to a couple of passages. Then I removed that tag from every passage. But the "testing" tag still appears in the list of tags, even though it is not connected to any annotation. There is no interface provided for removing that tag from the list.
georggreindl

Post by georggreindl »

Exactly as aebrown says. It seems that the tags in that sense are not removable. I have also not found a way to edit the name of a tag.
PamelaBonta

Post by PamelaBonta »

I just highlighted a random scripture on LDS.org and tagged it 'testing'. Closed everything out and then went back in again. I clicked on the tag and opened the note with the random scripture. I went to the place underneath my note where you choose which tag you want to use, and clicked on the x. The tag disappeared from my list. I *think* that if you do the same thing but tag it with the one you don't want, it should DELETE the tag you don't want from your list.

Unless it's capitalized. Online Study Notebook does not support capital letters in tags but I believe the GL version does. So, you would be unable to do the above to get rid of your tag because OSN would not recognize it.

The only way to edit a tag is to click on the tag on the left hand side of OSN. From the middle column, click on each individual note that you made and in the right hand column tag it with the new name you want it to have, then delete the old tag name. When there are none left and non are capitalized, the old tag should disappear and your notes should all have the new tag name.

One thing to check - if your Trash or your Unassigned Items folder have items with those tags, the tag will not disappear because it is still being used.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

PamelaBonta wrote:I just highlighted a random scripture on LDS.org and tagged it 'testing'. Closed everything out and then went back in again. I clicked on the tag and opened the note with the random scripture. I went to the place underneath my note where you choose which tag you want to use, and clicked on the x. The tag disappeared from my list. I *think* that if you do the same thing but tag it with the one you don't want, it should DELETE the tag you don't want from your list.
Thanks for trying to help, Sister Bonta. But this discussion is about Android Gospel Library, not the Notes on LDS.org. I have no problem removing a tag from LDS.org, just as you said. But if that tag has ever been synced to my Android Gospel Library (or was created there), then it never goes away, even if I remove all references to the tag and it no longer appears on LDS.org anywhere.

The only option I've found for removing obsolete tags is to completely clear all my content from my Android Gospel Library and start over, but that's very tedious, since it makes me download again all content I want to have on my device.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”