move content to ext sd card.

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
johnshaw

Re: move content to ext sd card.

Post by johnshaw »

I have a nexus 7 where I see a widget for GL Bookmarks and I have a Galaxy S5 where I have the app installed on micro-SD storage, but I don't see a widget for bookmarks.

I understand that you can't move an app to external storage that has a widget - could that be why it's no longer able to move?

For my galaxy S5 I'm wondering if I had moved it to external storage Prior to the release with the widget 'grandfathers' it in somehow?
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
kinghoju

Post by kinghoju »

Bump. I agree, this is much need functionality. Somewhere in the settings (maybe advanced settings) there should be some kind save path that you can adjust to whatever you want.
ggraham

Post by ggraham »

I've installed GL on numerous devices with no issues. However, I just purchased a refurbished SD III for my Mom and tried to install GL and in trying to create the database it attempts to access the non-existent SD card and fails to install. Upon install it briefly shows creating database please wait. However, upon trying to access the app it flashes a message on the screen for about .5 second. Something to the effect of cannot create database SD card may be write protected or corrupted. At least that's what I think it says. There is 10gb of internal storage available so why is it even attempting to access the SD card? Anyone have any suggestions. I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, etc. Even tried installing a 32 gb SD card and same result.

Thanks,
Gary
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ggraham wrote:Even tried installing a 32 gb SD card and same result.
Is the SD card formatted and other apps able to use it?

You might also check. Some Android devices have a virtual SD card. It may be trying to use that and running into problems.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ggraham

Post by ggraham »

Thanks. SD card was formatted and I don't see any virtual SD card on the SG III. Also, with no SD card inserted the install of GL should simply use the available 10GB on internal memory and not even look for an external SD card. However, it appears upon installation of GL it is trying to create the database on the non-existent SD card but even with the card installed does not work.
stuartda

Post by stuartda »

I also have a Moto E. Cannot move my downloaded audio files for GL to external sdcard1. it downloads only to sdcard0 (internal virtual sdcard).
richalger

Post by richalger »

I have the same issue as Nathan2209. I have a Moto E. The app can be moved to the SD card. That is great. I want the the option of changing the data path to the SD card as well.

Thanks for your attention and work.
jasonmorganallred

Post by jasonmorganallred »

Any update? This still seems to be an issue. Do you know if a fix is coming? My wife's phone has very little internal storage, and so being able to put all the data on the SD card is essential. I've tried a clean install and moving the app to the SD card before creating the database, but the database still gets created in the internal storage.
kst89

Post by kst89 »

I would also like to be able to specify which storage I'd like my gospel library data stored to. I have a Samsung device like the others here, and this is a big problem for us. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, transferring the data to external storage both with the stock Android file transfer program and third-party, deleting the files, etc. but no matter what, the data gets stored on my internal drive.

I know that Android has issues with how it handles internal/external data, but we should at least be able to specify the data location manually - browsing for a new location should be plenty of control. Can we make this happen?
prezalee

Post by prezalee »

Hi there,

I am having this issue as well with samsung j3. It is a work phone so i dont have option to change. I see these threads are very old. Can we have an update on this or a solution that a solution that you can recommend without having to root the phone please?

Return to “Android Gospel Library”