Gospel Library Ideas\Suggestions

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
Huhenyo

Re: Gospel Library Ideas\Suggestions

Post by Huhenyo »

Thanks, Jason, for you response, and yes, I better understand now. It's nice to know that it is being worked on.
jdye

Go to feature

Post by jdye »

I was just wondering if there is a feature similar to the one in the iOS version, to jump to a specific book, chapter and verse. I have not been able to find it. If there is not, is there a chance that it could be added?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Go to feature

Post by lajackson »

jdye wrote:I was just wondering if there is a feature similar to the one in the iOS version, to jump to a specific book, chapter and verse. I have not been able to find it. If there is not, is there a chance that it could be added?
I don't recall seeing such a feature in iOS. Are you talking about bookmarks? Or search?

Or was there a way to type in a reference and go directly to it? (If there was, I never found it.)
jdye

Post by jdye »

lajackson wrote:
jdye wrote:I was just wondering if there is a feature similar to the one in the iOS version, to jump to a specific book, chapter and verse. I have not been able to find it. If there is not, is there a chance that it could be added?
I don't recall seeing such a feature in iOS. Are you talking about bookmarks? Or search?

Or was there a way to type in a reference and go directly to it? (If there was, I never found it.)

In the bookmarks section there is an option at the bottom called go to. You can then type in the reference you want and go directly to it.
benuffer

Post by benuffer »

I would just like say that I too am looking forward to being able to add tags, highlights, notes and links to book and chapter headings, chapter summaries, and section headings in the D&C. You guys are doing a great job and I like to see when updates come out to find out what progress you folks are making. Thanks for all your hard work.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

jasonhyer wrote:
karlifullmer wrote:one thing i miss is page numbering in the gospel library app that corresponds with the page number of the physical book.
Unfortunately adding page numbers to the mobile content is a very manual process that requires much more time and effort that we can currently give. We have added page numbering to the last couple of the Teachings of the Prophets manuals but just don't have the resources to do more. If we find a way to automate the process we will definitely add more page numbers.

As more people begin to use the mobile formats of the scriptures and other content, we will need to work with instructors to find ways to help those with and without paper copies of the material better so all can fully participate. Though this isn't going to be easy, if we try, it can work for all no matter what format they content is in.
Is there a way volunteers can be used to do things like add page numbers? I'm on the LDS Music team and one thing I've learned is that people are always willing to join in and contribute to improving content, even when they don't know anything about the programming. If we could get it out on Helping in the Vineyard or even just within an LDSTech project and let volunteers contribute more to formatting content, the work would progress a lot more quickly and at much lower cost...
jasonhyer

Post by jasonhyer »

At this time there is not a way for volunteers to participate in adding page numbers to content. It has been suggested many times including making a project available through the vineyard. I don't know the reasons why but for some reason those over content have not accepted the offers for help in improving it by adding page numbers. We can hope that somebody with influence can help push this idea but until then we have to live with what is available.
Jason Hyer
nbergevi

Suggestion: Make G.L. more e-ink device friendly‏

Post by nbergevi »

I have a Sony PRS-T1 ebook reader. It's my favorite device for reading, and thanks to the Android OS under the covers, it can be rooted and side-load apps such as Gospel Library and Mormon Channel.

Other e-Ink devices such as the Nook Simple Touch and various Kindles can be hacked to allow apps to be loaded, but because of their e-Ink screens they do not handle certain screen intensive operations very well, such as video or snazzy screen effects like the "momentum effect" when scrolling a page that initially scrolls quickly but slows down and eventually comes to a stop. Any screen refresh takes "resetting" the effected area of the screen to black before making the change on the display.

I think Gospel Library is a perfect fit for these devices - they are usually small, lightweight, and lend themselves well to storing and reading the published text from the Church. However, they take a little getting used to with the way the Gospel Library application is currently working.

My device does have some hardware buttons, and I have tweaked them to use the DPAD_UP and DPAD_DOWN keymappings, but every key press only moves the screen a few lines but takes a cycle of 5 screen redraws and 3.5 seconds before the text is done moving. Switching to fullscreen mode takes about 6 screen refreshes and 4 seconds. Navigation within a chapter is anything but precise and requires a good deal of fiddling to get to the verse you want.

I would like to suggest an "e-Ink Mode" feature. This would disable any of the screen "motion effects" that look so fluid on devices with a fast refresh rate, and would configure screen "flicks" and d-pad navigation to go page-by-page instead of verse-by-verse. Screen dragging would still work the same way in order to fine-tune the exact position of a verse within the chapter.

Another feature which I would like to see implemented, (which I believe is already on the list of features to code), is the ability to determine exactly where the content is downloaded to on the device. My device has a "sdcard" directory, but it is mounted to the limited internal memory of the device, and an "extsd" directory which is mounted to the microSD card slot. I have to be very careful with how much content I download from Gospel Library because I have limited space, but if I could change where the content was stored I would be able to download as much as my microSD card can handle.

I know this is a low priority request, and I can live with the way Gospel Library functions on my ebook reader now, but I think with a few minor changes this program could be much more user-friendly for those of us who love their e-Ink readers and like to extend the functionality of their devices a little beyond what the manufacturer had intended.
GrasseDD

Re:

Post by GrasseDD »

jasonhyer wrote:Please be aware that we have limitations in the app that we have no control over. For the annotations and links, we can only do what can be done on LDS.org. If we were to introduce features such as multiple colors or custom links before they are available on lds.org, we would have no way to sync them and we won't step ahead of lds.org on that type of development. We do appreciate your suggestions and I personally think they are great ideas but until such items are allowed by lds.org, we are unable to add them to the app.
Is this still the case? I ask because I am now able to add links to my study scriptures via the GLA app, but not in the online scriptures. It appears that the app development leads, rather than follows, that of lds.org.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Re:

Post by jonesrk »

GrasseDD wrote:
jasonhyer wrote:Please be aware that we have limitations in the app that we have no control over. For the annotations and links, we can only do what can be done on LDS.org. If we were to introduce features such as multiple colors or custom links before they are available on lds.org, we would have no way to sync them and we won't step ahead of lds.org on that type of development. We do appreciate your suggestions and I personally think they are great ideas but until such items are allowed by lds.org, we are unable to add them to the app.
Is this still the case? I ask because I am now able to add links to my study scriptures via the GLA app, but not in the online scriptures. It appears that the app development leads, rather than follows, that of lds.org.
He was referring to the services that back both the mobile apps and the online version of the scriptures. Once the feature is supported there (in the services) so that they can be persisted then each team can implement them at there own speed. In this case it looks like the mobile team got there sooner than online team.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”