Tablet Recommendations for Gospel Library Usage.

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
rdcrisco

Tablet Recommendations for Gospel Library Usage.

Post by rdcrisco »

With all the new tablets, I am looking for tablets recommendations with some requirements.

1. Must be able to run the Gospel Library.

2. Easy to read scriptures and watch church videos for slightly blind.

3. Able to disable WIFI to prevent Internet usage by youth or has parental controls for internet viewing.

4. Common power cord charger(one I can buy at any store)

5. No cell service.

6. No Windows or Apple software.

I essentially would like a tablet recommendation that you would give to a Bishop or Stake President for the missionaries or Young Mens or Womens to use.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Tablet Recommendations for Gospel Library Usage.

Post by russellhltn »

At the risk of starting a religious war...... ;)
I essentially would like a tablet recommendation that you would give to a Bishop or Stake President for the missionaries or Young Mens or Womens to use.
I think the church has standardized on a Samsung tablet for the missionaries. If this is for the missionaries, that would be the best pick - however, it would best to buy it though the church as they have a discount and can configure it for missionary usage.

One item I'd add to your list is to make sure to buy a brand that will update the tablet with security updates. That generally means sticking to computer or smart phone name brands like Acer, Apple, Dell, HP, Motorola, Pixel, Samsung. Some lesser-known brands, may never issue an update at all - making the outdated OS vulnerable to hackers. For the same reason, beware of well-known brands that aren't known for being a computer brand. To avoid naming names, I'm thinking of a brand best known for instant cameras and another 3-letter brand known for TVs and radios.

Given that there is no LDS Tools for Windows, I think we can eliminate that. (Although if they're within WiFi range, they can look it up on lds.org.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rdcrisco

Post by rdcrisco »

I was thinking if it is good enough for the church, it would be good enough to be used in Sunday School by family members.

I really don't care about the camera part, since we have smart phones. Sometimes I feel taking a picture with a tablet is not the smart thing to have.
bballrob

Post by bballrob »

rdcrisco wrote:

I was thinking if it is good enough for the church, it would be good enough to be used in Sunday School by family members.
I haven't often been impressed with some of the choices the church makes when it comes to technology. I would not make this my mantra.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

rdcrisco wrote:6. No Windows or Apple software.
This narrows it down pretty well to Android...
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:I think the church has standardized on a Samsung tablet for the missionaries.
Actually, the Church has announced that they are moving away from tablets and missionaries will begin using smartphones. This article at the Newsroom mentions this change, among others.

An iPad or tablet of some sort still might be nice for gospel study, although I do not own one. I have always just used my phone.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Browsing my local blue big-box electronics store, it looks like the Samsung TAB series of tablets could fit the bill. Starting price is $99 which seems quite low for a name-brand device. But they're only 8GB and run an old version of Android. (Android 4.4/5/6, depending on model.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:But they're only 8GB and run an old version of Android.
Be careful with older versions. A some point (which I do not recall at the moment), Gospel Library stops updating content for older versions of GL. This would become a problem if you have a device that will not run the latest version of the GL app.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Be careful with older versions. A some point (which I do not recall at the moment), Gospel Library stops updating content for older versions of GL. This would become a problem if you have a device that will not run the latest version of the GL app.
And the web page in the Play Store doesn't say what version - just "varies with device".

sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

russellhltn wrote:
lajackson wrote:Be careful with older versions. A some point (which I do not recall at the moment), Gospel Library stops updating content for older versions of GL. This would become a problem if you have a device that will not run the latest version of the GL app.
And the web page in the Play Store doesn't say what version - just "varies with device".
The Play Store provides old versions of Gospel Library to old devices, so they can at least get the scriptures:
  • If you're on Android 2.2 and up, Google Play will give you Gospel Library 2.6.15. You won't get recent content.
  • If you're on Android 2.3 and up, Google Play will give you Gospel Library 3.3.4. You won't get any more content after the end of the year.
  • If you're on Android 4.0 and up, Google Play will give you Gospel Library 4.2.3. You will continue receiving the latest content for the foreseeable future.
  • If you're on Android 4.2 and up, Google Play will give you the latest version of Gospel Library (currently 4.3.0). You will continue receiving the latest content for the foreseeable future.
I would not recommend any Android version below Android 4.4, which is the minimum supported Android version for any new Church apps (like LDS Media Library) and will likely become the minimum supported Android version for Gospel Library and LDS Tools the next time there's a major update. I would never personally want a device that had anything less than, say, Android 6, because the Android experience has improved so much since 4.4 came out four years ago, but if you just want something that "works," Android 4.4 will be good enough.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Gospel Library”