Question about changing password

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
jlrosenlof

Question about changing password

Post by jlrosenlof »

Hi all,

This is probably a question with a really answer but I wanted to check to be on the safe side. I just changed my LDS Account password and when I went to change the password in the LDS Tools app, it had me sign out first. When I did that, it deleted all of the LDS Tools cached/downloaded content. That was fine since I don't really store anything in LDS Tools that I would care about losing. When I signed back in, everything synced back up.

When I went to the Gospel Library app, it started to do the same thing - sign me out - and then it asked whether or not I want to keep all of my content (annotations, etc.) or delete it. I really don't want to risk losing all of my annotations and notes so I want to make sure that I do this correctly. I've had applications in the past that were particular with the way that data was synced and, if you did it incorrectly, you'd lose all of your data because it couldn't get synced back up. Should I choose to keep or delete all of my content (annotations, etc.) when I sign out to change my password?
eblood66

Re: Question about changing password

Post by eblood66 »

I'm not sure you need to sign out for either one. If you just sync I think it should get an authentication error and then prompt for the new password.
jlrosenlof

Post by jlrosenlof »

Hi! Thanks for responding. That's what I thought, too, at first. It shows an authentication error and displays an error message in the notification bar. When I click on that error message it opens up the GLA to the Settings screen; it doesn't give a log-in prompt. I have to click on my username and choose whether or not to sign out. I don't want to choose the wrong option for fear of losing my annotations, bookmarks, etc.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jlrosenlof wrote:Hi! Thanks for responding. That's what I thought, too, at first. It shows an authentication error and displays an error message in the notification bar. When I click on that error message it opens up the GLA to the Settings screen; it doesn't give a log-in prompt. I have to click on my username and choose whether or not to sign out. I don't want to choose the wrong option for fear of losing my annotations, bookmarks, etc.
The reason Gospel Library acts a bit differently from LDS Tools in this regard is that with GL you might have the possibility of having unsynced annotations. Everything you have synced previously is safely on LDS.org and will sync back down to your device when you sign in with your new password. You certainly don't have to worry about losing all your annotations when you answer this question. All you're being asked about is if you want to retain your local data (some of which is potentially not yet synced).

I believe there are also some slight differences in what is stored in the app vs. LDS.org because the LDS.org version of the scriptures and other content is a bit behind the mobile apps -- it doesn't have 100% feature parity yet. So preserving your local data might help keep some of those subtle differences.
jlrosenlof

Post by jlrosenlof »

Sounds good. Thanks for the tips. I really appreciate everybody who took time to help.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

aebrown wrote:Everything you have synced previously is safely on LDS.org and will sync back down to your device when you sign in with your new password. You certainly don't have to worry about losing all your annotations when you answer this question. All you're being asked about is if you want to retain your local data (some of which is potentially not yet synced).
This is correct. As long as your annotations up to this point have been syncing (check on LDS.org for your most recent annotations to be sure), then nothing will be lost no matter which option you choose.
aebrown wrote:I believe there are also some slight differences in what is stored in the app vs. LDS.org because the LDS.org version of the scriptures and other content is a bit behind the mobile apps -- it doesn't have 100% feature parity yet. So preserving your local data might help keep some of those subtle differences.
Signing out only clears things that are attached to your LDS Account – i.e. things that sync – from your local Gospel Library data. It doesn't clear out other local Gospel Library data – for example, which Screens you have open.

Deleting and reinstalling the app would, on the other hand, clear all local Gospel Library data, including screens (but your annotations, because they're attached to your LDS Account, would sync back down the next time you sign in).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
jlrosenlof

Post by jlrosenlof »

This is great info to have. Thanks for helping me to understand how it's all working. I really appreciate it.
pleiades

Post by pleiades »

I changed my password on March 30th, then noticed a month later that I did not have any saved highlights and annotations since March 28th. How do I manually synch? I don't want to lose weeks of work next time I have to change my password!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

pleiades wrote:I changed my password on March 30th, then noticed a month later that I did not have any saved highlights and annotations since March 28th. How do I manually synch? I don't want to lose weeks of work next time I have to change my password!
Are you on iOS or Android?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Gospel Library”