Content Updates happening way too often

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
cdw3423lds

Content Updates happening way too often

Post by cdw3423lds »

Why does the content update so often? I'm talking about big things like the Bible and Book of Mormon. Every time I turn around, I'm having to wait for it to download and install new content again. I will say that it is normally pretty fast (unless I am having connection problems). Since I know the Bible isn't changing, why is updating so often and can we expect this to stop before too long? Since I like to keep most every thing downloaded this often makes the app unusable for significant time and of course at the most inconvenient times.

Chris W
ToManyLetters

Re: Content Updates happening way too often

Post by ToManyLetters »

The app updates the content catalog because there are issues that need to be fixed. Gospel Library version 4 uses a brand new content catalog that, while not entirely broken, has some issues that have to be ironed out. It's not something I'm surprised about, frankly. There are thousands upon thousands of pieces of content in over a hundred languages. So the answer here is really quite a simple one: there has been a major update to the application. Rather than let the app sit with typos, broken formatting, half-empty books, missing content, and other content issues, the content team has chosen to release updates as quickly as possible in an effort to reduce the issues users encounter. You'll need to have patience as they work again toward a more polished experience.

Perhaps the few minutes the app needs to update content could be used as a time to reflect on the inspiration from previous studies, a moment to pray for the Spirit in today's studies, or perhaps a small reminder to thank Heavenly Father for the miracle that is Gospel Library.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
cdw3423lds

Post by cdw3423lds »

ToManyLetters wrote:while not entirely broken
That pretty much tells me all I need to know. Guess I will go back to the previous version and check back in a few months.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

ToManyLetters wrote:. . . a moment to pray . . .
Then perhaps they are suggesting that even my longest prayers are not long enough? [grin]
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

lajackson wrote:Then perhaps they are suggesting that even my longest prayers are not long enough? [grin]
Very probably. =P

In honesty, I don't really like the way iOS and Android handle content updates. Windows' method is very superior, and I'm not just saying that because I'm biased toward the version of the app I help with. On Windows, content updates are practically invisible. When the app sees that there are updates, it downloads them in the background while the user is going about their usual business. Once the update is finished getting the content that needs to be updated, it tells the app that it's okay to swap out the old content with the new when the app launches again and does it in about a second.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
npk_techguy

Post by npk_techguy »

ToManyLetters wrote:Gospel Library version 4 uses a brand new content catalog . . .
What does this mean for those who are still using v. 3.4 of the iOS Gospel Library app? Can't see the new updates or content?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

npk_techguy wrote:
ToManyLetters wrote:Gospel Library version 4 uses a brand new content catalog . . .
What does this mean for those who are still using v. 3.4 of the iOS Gospel Library app? Can't see the new updates or content?
It means the content has to be updated in two different ways. Version 4 has the priority for updates and, so far, afterward they have been going back and trying to update the earlier version, but I do not think that will last long. At some point, version 3 and earlier will no longer get content updates. Then you will have to move to version 4 to have the current content.

Return to “Gospel Library”