New voice for audio Book of Mormon

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
dueckn

New voice for audio Book of Mormon

Post by dueckn »

Is there any way to listen to the old voice that read the Book of Mormon? The app recently updated and the new male and female voice sound very robotic and it is quite distracting.
jrank5

Re: New voice for audio Book of Mormon

Post by jrank5 »

I noticed that when you get to 1 Nephi 15 the voices are the old voices, (Bruce Lindsay?) Maybe they are updating in segments.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

LDS.org still has the older recordings: https://www.lds.org/media-library/audio?lang=eng
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
ralfil

Post by ralfil »

While it may be nice to have more options (male vs. female) for audio playback, I really miss the old voice. The new one feels a bit too dry. I had an easier time feeling the Spirit and envisioning what was happening with the old one.
sphighend

Post by sphighend »

I agree 100%, and so do most of my family members and friends. The new recording is really dry and monotone. I listen to the scriptures a lot less because it's so hard to listen to now. :(
kirtf123

Post by kirtf123 »

I agree, the old voice had power and emotions that helped me stay focused and involved and now I fight the drifting thoughts aso it's harder to pay attention. Guess I have to go back to reading more then listening which is sad because I love to listen in the car...
singsing

Post by singsing »

I would love the option to choose the old reader. This new voice is slower, more slurred (e.g. saith comes across as 'seth'), softer, and harder to pay attention to. All in all I haven't liked anything about the new update.
garyesmay

Post by garyesmay »

The 2017 readers of the Book of Mormon and the New Testament have sucked the life out of the scriptures. Perhaps they were coached to do this? If so, why?
Take Alma 26, where's the joy and rejoicing... It's gone.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

garyesmay wrote:The 2017 readers of the Book of Mormon and the New Testament have sucked the life out of the scriptures. Perhaps they were coached to do this?
Perhaps they were. There is no one way to read a verse of scripture. And I can and do read them in many different ways, depending on the point I wish to make when I am speaking, teaching, leading a workshop, visiting with the family, or talking to my neighbor.

If I was the 2017 reader, which version would you want to hear?
evangc

Post by evangc »

I loved listening to the Bruce Lindsay narration of the Book of Mormon. Unfortunately the new male voices are dry and disengaging to my ear and I find myself longing for the older option. How can I download a copy of the old narrators to have in my library?

Return to “Gospel Library”