The Joseph Smith Papers e-books

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
davidstrong

The Joseph Smith Papers e-books

Post by davidstrong »

Is there any plan to have the The Joseph Smith Papers as e-books on the Gospel Library app? I realize that they are quite expensive at Deseret Book and on Amazon. I wanted to get them from DB today as they are on sale for 19.99 each, but the DB app is not compatible with my device for some reason. It seems that since these are sold in paper version on LDS.org, that they would becoming available in the Gospel Library too.

Or are sales too strong and allowing people to get the books as part of the Gospel Library means they will not make money on these??
drepouille

Re: The Joseph Smith Papers e-books

Post by drepouille »

Alas, my Android phone is also no longer compatible with the current version of Deseret Bookshelf. I must content myself with browsing my bookshelf using an internet browser, which works OK.
If I wanted to peruse the Joseph Smith Papers, I suppose I would point my browser to http://josephsmithpapers.org
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
jasonhyer

Post by jasonhyer »

First, this is not authoritative information but my personal observation.

If the content in question is not copyrighted by the church (Deseret Book is not the church for copyright reasons) or in public domain, it is unlikely to be included in the Gospel Library app. While the Joseph Smith papers are of great historical importance for members of the church, they aren't part of regular curriculum or works used by the church for gospel study. My assumption is that inclusion of works in the Gospel Library app is similar to the policy for keeping materials in a meetinghouse library.

On LDS.org there is a great article on the procedure for adding or discarding materials from a meetinghouse library. https://www.lds.org/callings/sunday-sch ... s?lang=eng . The telling part in the article states, "Only books and audiovisual materials produced and distributed by the Church may be stored in and circulated from the meetinghouse library."

As stated at the beginning, this is my personal observation for watching materials being added to the app for the last five years. Things might change but if they do, they don't usually change fast.
davidstrong

Post by davidstrong »

These books can be purchased from Distribution here, http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... rs&submit=

This is why I thought that they might be coming to GL app soon.
jasonhyer

Post by jasonhyer »

Understood but they aren't part of curriculum either. I personally won't hold my breath.

Return to “Gospel Library”