Show languages side by side?

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
faziow

Re: Show languages side by side?

Post by faziow »

It occurs to me that this would be an even more useful feature if generalized further--i.e., if different language renditions weren't the only things that could be set side by side. I'm envisioning a side-by-side view that would let you set any two Gospel Library resources/tabs side by side: two chapters of scripture (including two parts of the same chapter, even), a chapter and the Bible dictionary, a chapter and a manual, a student manual and a teacher's manual....the possibilities are endless, really. And if one could view multiple languages in Gospel Library and also somehow scroll both sides at once, this would inherently include the ability to do language study as originally requested.

Thoughts?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

When Gospel Library 4.0 comes out in a few months, members with Android 7 Nougat on their phones will be in luck. Nougat supports running multiple windows of an app and putting them side-by-side (split screen). This will work for Gospel Library 4.0 and the "windows" will be the "screens" in the app. Unfortunately, iOS and older versions of Android won't get this feature for now. iOS supports split screen, but only with two different apps, not two windows of the same app.

If you have Android 7 Nougat, you can sign up to try the preview version of Gospel Library 4.0, test out the split-screen feature, and send bug reports. I'm normally an iOS user, but I do QA for Gospel Library for Android and I love this feature.

Android users will also get a cool new, killer language-switching feature that I was able to convince the developer to slip in with a few extra lines of code, while they were working on language settings... :) The developers at the Church are few, but they do a great job. I can't wait till 4.0 is ready!
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
geowizrd4zion

Post by geowizrd4zion »

what about windows 10?
would love to have the android capabilities mentioned on my ms surface tablet!
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

what about windows 10?
would love to have the android capabilities mentioned on my ms surface tablet!
Both the multi-window support and the language-switching feature (where the app tries to just change the language of the content when you change languages) are planned for the Windows 10 version of the application, currently in open beta. You can learn more about the beta here:

https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10

We actually had multi-window support for a while in version 2.x's beta, but it made the app so incredibly unstable we had to remove it. This go around, though, we've planned for it from the beginning, so we should have fewer issues with it when we begin implementing the feature.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
edmundsmaryellen1

Post by edmundsmaryellen1 »

ToManyLetters wrote:Member of the Gospel Library for Windows team here.

This is a feature we are considering for Gospel Library for Windows. As we're still, in many ways, playing catchup in terms of features with Gospel Library for iOS and Gospel Library for Android, it doesn't have much of a priority at present, but the feature is definitely on our radar for potential inclusion in a future update.
i

I CAN ALREADY DO THIS ON MY IPAD, AND IT IS SUCH A GREAT WAY TO STUDY (AND KEEP UP A MISSION LANGUAGE -- IN MY CASE, INDONESIAN). I'VE HAD IT SET UP WITH EVEN 3 OR 4 LANGUAGES ON ONE SCREEN. SUCH A GREAT WAY TO STUDY!! KEEP WORKING ON THIS FEATURE FOR DESK TOPS, FOR WINDOWS. THANK YOU!!!!
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

edmundsmaryellen1 wrote:
ToManyLetters wrote:Member of the Gospel Library for Windows team here.

This is a feature we are considering for Gospel Library for Windows. As we're still, in many ways, playing catchup in terms of features with Gospel Library for iOS and Gospel Library for Android, it doesn't have much of a priority at present, but the feature is definitely on our radar for potential inclusion in a future update.
i

I CAN ALREADY DO THIS ON MY IPAD, AND IT IS SUCH A GREAT WAY TO STUDY (AND KEEP UP A MISSION LANGUAGE -- IN MY CASE, INDONESIAN). I'VE HAD IT SET UP WITH EVEN 3 OR 4 LANGUAGES ON ONE SCREEN. SUCH A GREAT WAY TO STUDY!! KEEP WORKING ON THIS FEATURE FOR DESK TOPS, FOR WINDOWS. THANK YOU!!!!
My previous post--the one you've responded to in all caps--is over a year and a half old. Windows has had the multi-window and multi-language support for well over a year now in release (version 4 of Gospel Library for Windows came out on June 6th last year, the beta version of the app with the feature released February 11th of last year).
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:

Return to “Gospel Library”