Audio playback in lds gospel library

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
riqueapollo1

Audio playback in lds gospel library

Post by riqueapollo1 »

I used to be able to continuously playback the scriptures, conference, etc. from lds gospel library and now it will only play one chapter or one talk and then I have to hit "play" again...quite annoying when cooking, driving...or just working and want to continuously play these.

It used to work, it no longer does.
I use kindle (original) kindle HD, Surface pro2 and a nokia windows 8.1 phone.
None of them provide for continuous playback...unless there is something that I cannot find.

Any suggestions?
1historian

Re: Audio playback in lds gospel library

Post by 1historian »

I'm also having this problem with my iPhone5. Any help with this issue would be appreciated.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

brettrowe

Post by brettrowe »

I'm having the same problem and it's quite frustrating while running or driving. In Utah, it means I'm breaking the law to keep looking at my phone and pressing play.

It seems worse with IOS 8 update.

The ironic thing is that sometimes (very infrequently) it will advance to the next Ensign Article or Chapter. I don't know if it is a program interaction problem or what. I usually have Strava open when I'm running. When I'm driving, I don't have anything else open.

Can someone help or make a suggestion? Is it operator error somehow?

Thanks!
asaelt

Post by asaelt »

I have LDS Gospel Library v. 3.2.2.0 for my android Nexus 4. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BRING BACK THE CONTINUOUS PLAY CONSECUTIVE GENERAL CONFERENCE TALK AND SCRIPTURE AUDIO. The audio for General Conference was my absolute favorite part of the app. I could listen to conference while working in the yard, mowing the lawn, jogging, etc! Now the audio has been shuttled to a media download a-z one at a time "media manager." So ugly, so unappealing, do devastatingly depressing, such a huge step backward. Why would I want robot text-to-speech instead of the awesome audio??????? Please bring back the audio. That is SUCH a huge loss. OR, is there a way for me to go back to a previous version??
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

asaelt wrote:Now the audio has been shuttled to a media download a-z one at a time "media manager." So ugly, so unappealing, do devastatingly depressing, such a huge step backward. Why would I want robot text-to-speech instead of the awesome audio??????? Please bring back the audio. That is SUCH a huge loss. OR, is there a way for me to go back to a previous version??
I'm not sure how you're trying to do this, but I can still listen to the audio of conference, in the voice of the original speakers, with continuous play. I pick a talk, click the Play button, choose Listen, and then the talk plays, followed by the next one, followed by the next one, etc.

I did notice one oddity with the recent October 2014 conference, which might be leading to your assumption that there was some huge step backwards. I haven't checked every single talk, but it appears that although most of the talks have a Listen option, a few of them don't. And one really important one that doesn't have a Listen option is President Monson's opening address, which is naturally the first one many people would try. But if I choose the next one (from Pres. Packer), it has a Listen option, and at the end of his talk, it goes right on to Elder Robbins. But then the next one (from Sis. Esplin) has no Listen option, and so the continuous play stops at that point. From Elder Wong through Elder Oaks give you 5 segments in a row. I don't see any pattern as to what talks have Listen options.

I would hope that this is just a temporary situation, since the October 2014 conference was less than a week ago. The April 2014 conference works just fine, and as near as I can tell, every talk has a Listen option, so you can listen to the entire conference without stopping. That proves that this issue has nothing to do with the version of Gospel Library for Android, but rather is related to the content of the October 2014 conference at this point. I'm hoping that the audio content will be completed over the next few days for our recent conference.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:I haven't checked every single talk, but it appears that although most of the talks have a Listen option, a few of them don't.
Curious, since all sessions have a listen option at gc.lds.org. I tried the first talk, and it does indeed work.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I wish Gospel Library were more transparent with content updates – when new content is pushed, what new content is pushed, etc.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

aebrown wrote:I would hope that this is just a temporary situation, since the October 2014 conference was less than a week ago. The April 2014 conference works just fine, and as near as I can tell, every talk has a Listen option, so you can listen to the entire conference without stopping. That proves that this issue has nothing to do with the version of Gospel Library for Android, but rather is related to the content of the October 2014 conference at this point. I'm hoping that the audio content will be completed over the next few days for our recent conference.
Indeed, the content for October 2014 conference has now been updated and the Listen option is available for all talks. That means that you can now listen to the entire conference continuously on Gospel Library.
ham9

Post by ham9 »

Yes but is there a way to play a scripture chapter and have it go directly to the next chapter and keep on reading chapter after chapter until you stop it manually? For example, I want to listen to the entire Book of Isaiah, but it is only allowing me to play one chapter at a time, whereas before I was able to listen to one chapter after another on my iphone until I quit the sound manually, but now it only plays one chapter and then stops. Any suggestions?
Last edited by ham9 on Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”