Bible in other languages French, German, Italian, Portuguese

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
jay.archibald

Bible in other languages French, German, Italian, Portuguese

Postby jay.archibald » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:17 pm

I was hoping to start a new thread to discuss and gain support for adding the Bible in other languages to the Gospel Library mobile app. To date, the Old and New Testament are only available in English and Spanish.

If you are just as interested as I am in getting a particular language added please participate and comment below. The more activity this thread gets the higher visibility and priority it will likely get.

Here are a few discussion topics:

Why doesn't the Gospel Library app include the Bible in languages other than English and Spanish? This question is more directed to the application developers, but if anyone knows the answer please share. I have searched the forum and found this question asked a couple of times, but never found an official response.

Is there an effort already underway to add the Bible in other languages? Also another question more directed to the developers. If so, what languages are currently being worked? When could we expect them to be available?

Are there any copyright issues? Does anyone know if there are any copyright concerns in various languages creating a problem to distribute the content? I know that most French members use the Louis Segond version, does the LDS Church have the right to make this version available in the Gospel Library app? How about Bible versions in German, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, etc? NOTE: There are other Bible mobile apps that have published the content in various languages/versions. How did they get around any copyrighted issues?

How much effort would it take to make the indexing and links work? If it were possible to use a non-lds published version of the Bible, like the French Louis Segond version, how much work would it take for the church to get all the footnote indexes in the BoM, D&C, and other church material linking to the Bible content?

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Bible in other languages French, German, Italian, Portug

Postby russellhltn » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:29 pm

jay.archibald wrote:I was hoping to start a new thread to discuss and gain support for adding the Bible in other languages to the Gospel Library mobile app. To date, the Old and New Testament are only available in English and Spanish.

What version are you looking at? I've heard that complaint for Windows, but I don't know as it's true for iOS and Android.

jay.archibald wrote:If you are just as interested as I am in getting a particular language added please participate and comment below. The more activity this thread gets the higher visibility and priority it will likely get.

A couple of faulty assumptions: First, that things on this forum get any higher than the developers and that the church responds to public pressure. Both are highly questionable. The developers respond to the priorities set by the brethren. The number of developers are also set by the brethren.

I'd think your best chance for success is for those people in the affected areas of the world to ask their stake president to talk to the area authority about the problem. Work though the priesthood channels.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

jay.archibald

Postby jay.archibald » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:47 pm

What version are you looking at? I've heard that complaint for Windows, but I don't know as it's true for iOS and Android.

Version 3.3.3 for IOS. The Bible is not available to download in French, German Italian, Portuguese, and many other languages.

A couple of faulty assumptions: First, that things on this forum get any higher than the developers and that the church responds to public pressure. Both are highly questionable. The developers respond to the priorities set by the brethren. The number of developers are also set by the brethren.

I'd think your best chance for success is for those people in the affected areas of the world to ask their stake president to talk to the area authority about the problem. Work though the priesthood channels.

Millions of non-english members have mobile devices and would benefit having electronic access to the scriptures in their language. Not sure why this would NOT be a priority for the Church. Perhaps it is and work is underway. Perhaps there are challenges to make it available. Thus, the point of the thread, to better understand where things stand and where things are going. There is nothing wrong with asking questions and having a discussion about it.
Last edited by jay.archibald on Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eblood66

Postby eblood66 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:55 pm

jay.archibald wrote:Millions of non-english members have mobile devices and would benefit having electronic access to the scriptures in their language. Not sure why this would NOT be a priority for the Church. Perhaps it is and work is underway. Perhaps their are challenges to make it available. Thus, the point of the thread, to better understand where things stand and where things are going. There is nothing wrong with asking questions and having a discussion about it.

Is the Bible available in any of those languages on lds.org? I wouldn't expect the Bible to be available on a mobile platform if it isn't available on-line. Whatever issues prevent the church from putting it on lds.org would probably apply to mobile platforms as well. Unfortunately, I don't know what those issues might be. Copyright on specific editions would be my guess but that's just a guess.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:25 am

eblood66 wrote:Is the Bible available in any of those languages on lds.org? I wouldn't expect the Bible to be available on a mobile platform if it isn't available on-line. Whatever issues prevent the church from putting it on lds.org would probably apply to mobile platforms as well. Unfortunately, I don't know what those issues might be. Copyright on specific editions would be my guess but that's just a guess.

A quick check shows that at least German isn't on-line. Copyright could be one issue. If there isn't a suitable version, then the church would have to translate. But that's a long involved process as a great deal of effort is made to preserve doctrinal purity.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

marianomarini

Postby marianomarini » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:24 am

I write only for Android because I don't use iOS.
About Italian version there are a lot on-line.
I use laparola.net wich supply many versions (Luzzi, Diodati, Riveduta, eccetera).
In this case I prefere it because I can have Bible and (BoM or D&C or PoGP) open together.
If The Bible will be included into LDSLibrary I will no more able to have it open at the same time.

PamelaBonta

Postby PamelaBonta » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:15 am

The only LDS versions of the Bible are in Spanish and English. There are approved or conditionally approved versions for many other languages that have been translated by other organizations. You can find these listed here: http://ldsmediatalk.com/2014/11/25/reco ... ia+Talk%29

grantpaulemery

Postby grantpaulemery » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:42 am

I heard the Louis Segond (French) translation recently entered the public domain. If this is something we can get going, I am totally on board.

rbinijr

Postby rbinijr » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:40 pm

i really would like to have the bible in portuguese,

the Church could have conversations with the brazilian goverment to allow it.

ToManyLetters

Postby ToManyLetters » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:06 pm

It's not a matter of conversation--the text must be fully in the public domain and, after that happens, the Church must have the time to make any necessary corrections and introduce the dedicated LDS study tools, like the Guide to the Scriptures.
Have a bug to report for Gospel Library for Windows v4? Check the Known Issues to see if it's been reported. (https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_Preview_Issues)
Also visit the FAQ. (tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_8_FAQ)

Return to “Gospel Library”