Gospel Library and/or Book of Mormon apps for Mac?

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
carsonm

Re: Gospel Library and/or Book of Mormon apps for Mac?

Post by carsonm »

sbradshaw thank you for the insight about the development team and the use of volunteers to develop apps. Like you, I would hope that Apple would introduce features that allow iOS apps to run natively on Macs, but I also don't see it happening any time soon. My earlier suggestion/option is for those who would still like to use a current version of the Gospel Library app on their Mac, although it is designed natively for the OS X operating system. Personally, that is why I interested to see what happens with the soon to be released Windows 10 mobile smartphones and other devices As I understand it, the Windows developers can now write a Universal Windows app for Windows 10 devices once and it will run many types devices, (smartphones, laptops, tablets, desktops, for example) with a few changes adjustment depending on the target hardware. Hopefully something like that will work for the Apple products side in the future, but I don't see that happening any time soon, mainly due to the two very different operating systems (iOS and OS X) that Apple uses currently.
mirandagranade

Post by mirandagranade »

I recently received the MacBook Air. What is the best app to purchase for my scriptures?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

carsonm wrote:Personally, that is why I interested to see what happens with the soon to be released Windows 10 mobile smartphones and other devices As I understand it, the Windows developers can now write a Universal Windows app for Windows 10 devices once and it will run many types devices, (smartphones, laptops, tablets, desktops, for example) with a few changes adjustment depending on the target hardware.
Just in reply to your quoted information (not to fork the thread), I installed Gospel Library on my Win10 desktop this week. It works well and my bookmarks, highlighting, etc. synced perfectly from my Android Tablet once I logged in with my LDS Account. I hope Apple moves this direction for you as well.
dannyyeo

Post by dannyyeo »

That is unfortunate that we can't get Gospel Library for the Mac OS. This is an invaluable tool for gospel study and there are just enough people using the Mac that cannot access Gospel Library on their desktop or laptop but only via their iPhones or iPads. Perhaps, this could be a topic for discussion in a future LDS-Tech Conference and seeking volunteers to develop for Mac OS.
millinersc

Post by millinersc »

I too am looking for the Gospel Library to be available on MAC. What are the options?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

millinersc wrote:What are the options?
You can install a iPhone or Android emulator so you can run those versions of the GL on your machine.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dannyyeo

Post by dannyyeo »

Rather than running an emulator or a VM just to have Gospel Library, it would be nice to have it run native on Mac OS. After all, it runs on Windows 10 natively.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dannyyeo wrote:Rather than running an emulator or a VM just to have Gospel Library, it would be nice to have it run native on Mac OS. After all, it runs on Windows 10 natively.
Sure, it would be nice, but it's just not a priority. The fact that it runs on Windows 10 natively is not because of a primary design consideration, but rather because Microsoft designed their Windows 8+ operating systems to be essentially the same for mobile and desktop. The Gospel Library app for Windows was motivated by the need for a mobile app, and a pleasant side effect is that it can run on Windows desktops.

If Apple had made a similar OS decision and ran the same OS on Macs and iPhones/iPads, then you'd be able to run Gospel Library on your Mac. But Apple made a different architectural decision. You can read other posts in this topic for various opinions on how likely it is that there will be a native Mac version anytime soon. Although it's just speculation, no one is betting on it, given what we've heard of limited resources and different priorities.

You're certainly welcome to use the Feedback link on LDS.org to make any suggestion.
dannyyeo

Post by dannyyeo »

I've read those threads and understand the reasoning. I am just thinking that more people, especially retirees are purchasing Macs in my area and thus, would benefit from having Gospel Library available to them. After all, gospel study, getting training and instruction material for leadership positions, access to many other LDS material in textual, video and audio formats are so prevalent in Gospel Library that it would be a gem to have natively on Mac OS. Perhaps, understanding what it would take to make it available on Mac OS and finding volunteers via LDS Tech forum or conference would make this possible. Again, just a suggestion. BTW, thanks so much for making much of these material available on the other platforms.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dannyyeo wrote:Again, just a suggestion.
Until volunteers show up to code for the Mac, it's not going to happen. Unlike the iOS and Android versions, the Windows version is being done by an all-volunteer group. As such, I don't see the church dedicating any resources for Mac, so it's going to have to be done by volunteers. I'm sure many are willing to be testers, but what's needed is coders.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Gospel Library”