Gospel Library for Macbook Pro

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
Christopherst

Gospel Library for Macbook Pro

Post by Christopherst »

I was wondering if the Gospel Library App in the App Store is available for the Mac Desktop and Laptops? Its kind of lame that it comes on mobile devices and not on the desktop or laptop. I realize that there is lds.org that has scriptures and what not, but im not always connected to the internet on my Macbook Pro laptop. Is this version coming out soon?
The LDS Church responded on May 9, 2013 at 9:53 PM as follows:
Dear Christopher Stapleton,

Thank you for contacting lds.org. We sincerely apologize for not responding to you sooner. The Response Team is made up of Church Service Missionaries and volunteers. Our numbers are few, and we are working diligently at getting caught up!

It is my understanding that the Gospel Library app works on all Apple products; it is available from the app store. I have the app on my iPhone, iPod and iPad (Sadly, I do not personally own a MacBook.) If this is not the case, we would invite you to contact tech.lds.org, which is the official technology site of the Church. They will hopefully have the answers you seek, as they are the developers of the Gospel Library app. They have forums there, wherein your concern may have been already discussed and addressed. They also have an “Ask a Question” section which will allow you to post question regarding the Gospel Library and the MacBook..

Sincerely,

SS, Response Team Volunteer
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Gospel Library for Macbook Pro

Post by aebrown »

christopherst wrote:I was wondering if the Gospel Library App in the App Store is available for the Mac Desktop and Laptops? Its kind of lame that it comes on mobile devices and not on the desktop or laptop. I realize that there is lds.org that has scriptures and what not, but im not always connected to the internet on my Macbook Pro laptop. Is this version coming out soon?
Although I have heard nothing about a specific desktop version coming out, there are options for running a version on a desktop by using an emulator that allows you to run mobile apps. See the Gospel Library app for Desktop PC topic for some ideas.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Except for some CDs that were published many years ago, the church has never targeted Gospel Library for any PC.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mullen1926

Post by mullen1926 »

It would be very helpful to make the LDS Gospel Library available on the MacBook. I go between my Macbook, IPad and IPhone often for many things and make a lot of scripture notes, etc. and would really like to be able to do so on my Macbook. the Library is not available in the Apple Store for Macbook.

Thanks for your consideration
Ken
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mullen1926 wrote:It would be very helpful to make the LDS Gospel Library available on the MacBook.
Someone will have to round up a all-volunteer development team. The church isn't going to do it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Christopherst

Post by Christopherst »

What we should be doing is finding people who want it on the Mac and put a wiki together on this forum that we can add to it and develop it. It doesn’t make sense to just keep asking for it if the Church is not gonna do it. Myself I am a digital graphics artist, I can create a user interface for the software, we would have to find other people who know how to code on MacOS. I could donate a little bit of my time for the experience. Anybody else want to contribute?
Christopherst

Post by Christopherst »

If everyone donate a little bit of their time and whatever skill they could add to the project, we could get it done. Everybody just wants someone else to do the work. Put your shoulder to the wheel push along.
Christopherst

Post by Christopherst »

aebrown wrote:
christopherst wrote:I was wondering if the Gospel Library App in the App Store is available for the Mac Desktop and Laptops? Its kind of lame that it comes on mobile devices and not on the desktop or laptop. I realize that there is lds.org that has scriptures and what not, but im not always connected to the internet on my Macbook Pro laptop. Is this version coming out soon?
Although I have heard nothing about a specific desktop version coming out, there are options for running a version on a desktop by using an emulator that allows you to run mobile apps. See the Gospel Library app for Desktop PC topic for some ideas.
I actually have tried to use the emulators and they don’t work very well. Running both Android emulators to run Mobile apps on desktop don’t work very well on the Mac. iOS emulators to run mobile apps on desktop on the Mac not work at all. I wasn’t able to get any of them to work at all let alone have it to be something that would be functional.
Christopherst

Post by Christopherst »

I do have a know of an app that I have on my MacBook Pro called LDS Scriptures. They have mobile apps at work and function for iOS but they still have a old version for macOS. They haven’t even updated it themselves.
carsonm

Post by carsonm »

As an alternative option, you could use either Bootcamp or like program/tool like Parallels to then be able to run Windows 10 inside of a Mac, which then allows you to run the Gospel Library App for Windows on your Mac. This app work on non-touch screen computers like the Mac (with Windows 10 running as noted above If I understand it correctly) and on non touch screen Windows 10 computers as well as on touch screen Windows 10 devices and computers.

Yes, I realize that you did not get a Mac to run Windows 10 on it, but it is an option if you want the Gospel Library App

If interested Here is a little about the Gospel Library for Windows app, along with some screen shots.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/gospe ... verviewtab#

Return to “Gospel Library”