Gospel Library for Windows 8

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
Bond007s

Re: Gospel Library for Windows 8

Post by Bond007s »

I too would love to see this come to the store. I would be more than willing to trial this or test anything you need. I have experience within Windows programming. I am working on a few Metro apps for fun that someday may come just for fun. I hope your project does well and is able to be endorsed by the church for full feature parity to other platforms. To be honest my Android App on my Android tablet can beat the socks out of Windows Phone Gospel Library App. I do however appreciate both. Good Luck. Count me in for any testing you need. Right now we are left only the LDS Pages App which is missing a lot....
lnyoung

Post by lnyoung »

I will be glad to test this application. I am primarily a backend C# programmer, but have worked extensively with WPF. I am starting the transition to Windows 8, working through "Programming Windows Version 6", by Charles Petzold.

I have both a laptop and a Surface Pro running Windows 8 and lots of experience with Visual Studio.

Let me know how I can help.
VisionCloud

Post by VisionCloud »

I also have a Windows 8 tablet (Samsung Ativ Smart PC) and a desktop and laptop system all running Windows 8, I would be more than happy to test the app. Can't wait to get Gospel Library for Windows 8. Kind of shocking that no official project has been started yet.
EricBowman

Post by EricBowman »

Any Update?

Is this in an online code repository so that we can pull the source and work on it?

If it's not, I would be happy to put it up on an open source site so we can collaborate.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

EricBowman wrote:Is this in an online code repository so that we can pull the source and work on it?

If it's not, I would be happy to put it up on an open source site so we can collaborate.
All developers for Gospel Library projects need to be aware of the Third-party API for gospel content requirements for access. "The access requires developers to sign an intellectual property license agreement and specifies what content is approved for distribution."
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
EricBowman

Post by EricBowman »

I'm not sure how the copyright agreement applies to the source code being in revision control?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

EricBowman wrote:I'm not sure how the copyright agreement applies to the source code being in revision control?
The question is what is contained in the source code, not where it is stored. If that source code uses APIs that require approval before use, and that permission has not yet been obtained, then the source code itself is problematic.
EricBowman

Post by EricBowman »

Please help me. I'm posting on four threads trying to get some traction to write any kind of windows 8 PC/Phone app that helps people write there scriptures.

In each of those threads I'm only receiving opposition.

I am very frustrated because I thought the LDS tech community would be supportive of extending the scriptures to another platform.

Am I missing something?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The community is all for the development of applications. It is the Church policies and needed approvals that are causing the roadblocks. Without the formation of an approved development team the policies pointed out in this and other threads will make it impossible to get the needed APIs. The community has no pull or influence to get the needed approvals for the development.

See russellhltn's post in the LDS Tools for Windows 8? thread for a good explanation.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

jdlessley wrote:The community is all for the development of applications. It is the Church policies and needed approvals that are causing the roadblocks. Without the formation of an approved development team the policies pointed out in this and other threads will make it impossible to get the needed APIs. The community has no pull or influence to get the needed approvals for the development.
I think this needs a bit of clarification. There are really two levels of approval for these applications.

Applications that will only access gospel content (like scriptures and magazines) need only get approval to access the gospel content API. I've not heard directly from anyone whose been through the process but from what it says on in Third-party API for gospel content the main issue is that the developer must sign an intellectual property license agreement (in which I assume the developer promises to follow policies regarding how the content can be used). So this approval should be relatively easy to get. The applications in this case remain the property of the developer.

On the other hand, applications that use LDS Account (and membership data in particular) must be official church applications with official church employee involvement. All code developed for these applications must be assigned to the church and becomes property of the church.

It sounds like EricBowman wants to develop something using just the gospel content. That should be very possible if he requests API access approval and signs the associated agreement. I'm sure there are many people who would love to have that kind of app especially with no word about an official app.

Return to “Gospel Library”