Gospel Library for Windows 8

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
riceboyler

Re: Gospel Library for Windows 8

Post by riceboyler »

I think the frustration many of us are feeling is that we can't help improve what is a good start, but in need of attention. The app isn't getting updated, the source control for it is not available and those of us who want to help can't do so because of the restrictions on the APIs. I now have a Surface Pro 2, and desperately want to help develop/improve Gospel Library (and other apps), but there's no official project, so we can't help to sign up.

If, in this case, the leaders of these efforts would either release the source code to those of us willing to help, or would at least create a project so we can sign up and keep track of those interested, I think that would be a nice olive branch.

One other note - in general, Windows and Windows Phone development projects are dead because they have been "ignored" for some reason. I'd be willing to bet there are more developers who work on .NET code than all of the Java/Objective C developers on these forums. It seems kind of backwards to me that the platform that many of us use to develop on have been closed to future development. It honestly seems like there's some kind of backlash against Microsoft technologies and the developers who use them.

I don't for the life of me understand why the Windows Phone apps that have been developed are now "closed". If the original developers who built them (and I actually made a contribution to LDS Tools before it was closed, the jump menu by letters :)) can't continue to work on them, I get that. But why close them so none of us can help develop them?
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

It honestly seems like there's some kind of backlash against Microsoft technologies and the developers who use them.
That's exactly how it feels. The ratings for the apps in both marketplaces have been dropping people with people like me getting increasingly agitated by the we-don't-care attitude of the half a person presumably allowed to work on the app five minutes each year. I've sent feedback and bug reports via the email within the app.

No response.

I've asked for any sort of developer response here on the forums only to be told by moderators that they don't even come around here--likely because there aren't any anymore. I have a suspicion that part of that massive iPad purchase deal the Church made for its missionary department included some sort of Microsoft-exclusion clause. The app for Windows 8.1, for example, is so feature-deprived and buggy that non-official apps offer better functionality and support. It's disgusting.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
BowmanDH

Post by BowmanDH »

Your frustration has been heard. There is now an approved community project to update the application. It hasn't been made public yet as there is quite a bit of organizing to do. Still there is a good size team and the work has already begun. We hope to have updated content soon and features following that. The project will become public at some point and those who are interested will be welcome to join in. For now, if somebody is dying to help; has experience setting up a good testing environment on TFS for a distributed team; and has the time to commit; then please send me a private message. We may be able to put you to work right away.
dfsimmons

Post by dfsimmons »

Just curious if there is anywhere we can go to follow the progress of this project yet? It sounds like there is a great team of talented people working hard on this. Much appreciated!
BowmanDH

Post by BowmanDH »

Not yet. We have released some bug fixes but until we pull off a real major release the team has asked to fly under the radar. Good things are being done, although it still feels like 2 steps forward 1 back at the moment.
clintlfinch

Post by clintlfinch »

Hello,

Will this be an update to the current Gospel library app in the store or a new app?
brenchld

Post by brenchld »

BowmanDH,
That is great news and does relieve some frustration.

Is the new community project just for the Windows 8 project, or will it include Windows 8 Phone project?
BowmanDH

Post by BowmanDH »

This is an update to the current Windows 8 Gospel Library app. It's primary focus in bug fixes, allowing it to work properly with Windows 8.1 (snapping, etc.) and fixing some search issues. It will probably even include a goto button allowing you to quickly type in a verse, name of talk etc. and go right to it. We have not got a team trying to update the Windows 8 phone project at the moment. We are starting to look at leveraging code from one project for the other, but we are way early in that without even a real roadmap for how we want to do it.

And I know the next question is when? We have not published a date but I know the whole team is feeling the giving spirit at the moment. Maybe you should pray for us to have help so that the users can have a blessed Christmas as they say in some parts of the world.
rfarias

Post by rfarias »

Hello Everyone, although the previous posts emphasizes that there is activity in the Windows 8 Gospel Library project (and incredibly not for Windows Phone 8 !!! ), it feels like we're not having visible progress and that, for some reason not clearly explained, it really seems like there is some kind of backlash against Microsoft technologies and the developers who use them, as previously pointed out. We would really appreciate if we could receive weekly updates about the progress of these efforts. There are a number of people really interested in using their Surfaces, Notebooks and Windows Phones.

It becomes even more frustrating because, here in Brazil and Latin America, Microsoft platform is very popular (Windows Phone, for example, is the 2nd most popular phone platform). Many members of the church complains that they cannot have the same features as their iOS and Android counterparts. We might be losing missionary opportunities by not prioritizing this platform, which is really, really bad... :(
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rfarias wrote:for some reason not clearly explained, it really seems like there is some kind of backlash . . .
We would really appreciate if we could receive weekly updates about the progress of these efforts.
Welcome to the Forum.

I am confident that there is not any kind of backlash against any particular type of mobile device. I believe it is merely of a lack of sufficient developer resources to handle all of the wishes and desires of supporting every device available.

So rather than weekly updates, I would prefer that whatever rare resources are available actually be applied to development rather than to the reporting process. There are not enough developers to go around, and it is difficult to establish priorities that will please everyone.

Return to “Gospel Library”