Gospel Library for Windows 8

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
EricBowman

Re: Gospel Library for Windows 8

Post by EricBowman »

ha, well played church people, well played
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

I had a previous post with suggestions for the app (far more than the little one above) that was calmly and neatly presented. Why was it deleted?
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ToManyLetters wrote:I had a previous post with suggestions for the app (far more than the little one above) that was calmly and neatly presented. Why was it deleted?
It wasn't deleted, it was moved here.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

The new post only just showed up. It seemed perfectly on topic to me, considering the title of the thread, but I suppose it doesn't really matter where it's placed. That said, could my other feedback post get moved to the other thread by an admin?

Edit: It's been moved, too. Thanks.
Edit 2: Could the two posts be merged? They were meant to be the same post, but I became unable to edit my previous post.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Moderator note

Post by jdlessley »

ToManyLetters wrote:The new post only just showed up. It seemed perfectly on topic to me, considering the title of the thread, but I suppose it doesn't really matter where it's placed.
[Moderator note: Two of your posts to this thread were split from this thread to create new threads. The topics of those posts are different from this thread which is/was a discussion as to why there is/was no GL for Windows 8. Your posts discuss recommendations and enhancements to the released application. Please follow the Code of Conduct when using the LDSTech Forum.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

ToManyLetters wrote:Edit 2: Could the two posts be merged? They were meant to be the same post, but I became unable to edit my previous post.
No. In fact each recommendation or enhancement request should be in a separate thread to comply with the Code of Conduct.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

russellhltn wrote:
ToManyLetters wrote:I had a previous post with suggestions for the app (far more than the little one above) that was calmly and neatly presented. Why was it deleted?
It wasn't deleted, it was moved here.
Per the user, ToManyLetters, request the split threads have been deleted (actually moved out of public view to the Hidden Posts forum). ToManyLetters will start new threads for each of the twelve recommendations to comply with the Code of Conduct.

@ ToManyLetters,
Thank you for understanding and complying with the Code of Conduct.
JD Lessley
jajaskolka

Post by jajaskolka »

How are we to tell if and when there will be more development on the Windows 8 app. It is wonderful to have, but in some cases unusable because it has so many bugs. Are there any developers that read these forums? If so, is there a plan to make this a community based development project to get things rolling?

Also, when are we going to get anything past the May Ensign available in the app? Again, as nice as it is, the lack of development is not making it a better experience.

There is obvious interest in the development of a Windows 8 app. This thread has close to 12,000 views and is the second most viewed Gospel Library thread. It ranks in views nearly double the next thread under it. I think that information alone shows the interest in the development of the app, and should be sent on to the development team to get them to work harder to get updates out the door. There is interest in the church developing the app. There is interest in people here helping code the app. Let's get this app first functional, and then add all the missing features.

I understand it takes time, I have done development for church apps. It has been a while, and the process has changed since I made the Portuguese content in YanCEyWare, but what I do know is that consistent work at creating the app gets things done, and at a much faster pace than the app is currently being developed.

Thank you for the hard work so far, all I ask is that the developers work just a little harder, and get this great community of developers involved.
defaultryan

Post by defaultryan »

It is now October, and still, no content has been added since May 2013. What's the hold up? Was this app truly released without any capability to update its content? What started as an annoyance is now showing an appalling level of neglect.

What might be even worse, is the apparently complete lack of concern on the part of the app developers. No communications, nothing to let users know what the status is, or if they even hear our concerns. I have yet to receive any sort of reply sent via email to the official support contact. This state of affairs is extremely frustrating.
davidnuffer

Post by davidnuffer »

I am really enthused about the efforts made for Gospel Library for Windows 8. It is a very beautiful interface. Of course, I have feature envy because I am also an iOS 7 and JellyBean user but I am glad to see the Windows 8 app. I am leaving my other OS's behind because I have to have a serious business capable device (word processing and standard windows apps) so I look forward to other developments with Windows 8.
Attending the LDSTech conference today, I found that this was an entirely home grown app, and appreciate so much those who worked on it.
With 8.1's release and the slew of 8" 8.1 tablets coming out, I hope Windows 8 apps can move up the food chain!
David Nuffer
joe_coolish wrote:Hey guys, I just wanted to post an update about the status of the project.

I've been on vacation the past couple of weeks, so I haven't been on this thread as much as I'd have liked.

I contacted the Church about getting permission to use the Gospel Library content, and yesterday I got the following response:
Thank you for your request to use Church material for your electronic application.

At this time, we are accepting requests but are not giving permission. We will keep your information on file, but we are unable to process these requests at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience.
This, along with the posts that have been made here on the forum from the moderators about the Source Code potentially containing Copy Right information, I have decided to pull the project down off of Source Control (in this instance I would rather ask and wait for permission than move forward and beg for forgiveness later). I will not be adding any new members to the TFS project.

I will continue to work on the app so that once I get the permission to distribute, it will be ready. I really hope that, as was mentioned, the rights to distribute the content of the Gospel Library becomes separate to the LDS Tools User Data.

I apologize for getting everyone's hopes up about having an official app out soon. If there is any specific person I can contact about getting the code transferred to the LDSTech team, I would be very happy to get into contact with them.

Thanks for the support so far, and I will continue to post updates once I get them.

Return to “Gospel Library”