Gospel Library app for Desktop PC

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
jrdurham9

Gospel Library app for Desktop PC

Post by jrdurham9 »

Is there a Gosple Library application for the Desktop PC yet? I use the Android version all the time, but also have a Netbook that's not connected to the internet all the time. It would be beneficial to access the Gospel Library books from a database on my netbook.
A netbook is very similar in functionality to an Android or Blackberry device. Are there plans for this?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

The short answers are no, there is no desktop application like this, and no, we have heard of no plans.

This has been discussed previously in the thread Gospel Library (Local Desktop Client).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
RonaldF

Post by RonaldF »

The church has LDS View 7.1 which is the scriptures. At http://www.lds.org/manual/epub?lang=eng ,the manuals are available in electronic Epub format. There are free Epub readers available for the PC. My personal choice for the PC is YanCEware desktop. It is available at http://www.yanceydesktop.com/ . The books are available at http://www.thecoffeys.net/ebooks/defaul ... y&type=All . The Coffeys site has both church and non church publications. It is extensive. If you have the Gospelink 2001 collection, those books can be converted to the YanCEware format with YanCElink, a free converter program. I currently have almost 1600 books on my netbook. Reveal Reader is a android app that will read YanCEware format books on your android device. There are a lot of options. Calibre is another option. You can check it out at http://calibre-ebook.com/about .
ryan.haver

Post by ryan.haver »

I just saw this thread, but had posted in another. As I am greatful for LDS View I feel that it in no way is as functional as the Gospel Library Mobile Apps. I'm sure that there are many users who would love to have a desktop version. All the groundwork has allready been laid by the development of the mobile apps. I do not develope software so I can only assume that it wouldn't be extremely hard to port the existing work to another platform. I really appreciate the work that has been put into Gospel Library and would like to voice my need for a desktop version with the same functionality found in the mobile apps (especially sync for notes and cross references). Thanks for all the hard work that has allready been put into making the scriptures so accessible to the masses. Keep up the great work!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ryan.haver wrote:I really appreciate the work that has been put into Gospel Library and would like to voice my need for a desktop version with the same functionality found in the mobile apps (especially sync for notes and cross references).

The original post in this thread was concerned about Gospel Library access when not connected to the Internet, which is a valid use case, but please note that if you do have an Internet connection, the My Study Notebook feature on lds.org (on the Tools menu) gives you much of the same capability. It will sync with your mobile applications.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ryan.haver

Post by ryan.haver »

aebrown wrote:The original post in this thread was concerned about Gospel Library access when not connected to the Internet, which is a valid use case, but please note that if you do have an Internet connection, the My Study Notebook feature on lds.org (on the Tools menu) gives you much of the same capability. It will sync with your mobile applications.

Seriously? That is awesome, what great news! Sorry for the double post. I know that as a moderator it's annoying to have people do that. I never took the time to check out "My Study Notebook" I will now use it daily. I am very impressed with the way the church is advancing with it's use of technology. Thank for the quick response. Have a great week!
Medenuck

there is a solution

Post by Medenuck »

jux install blue stack.....it allows u to run andriod app on ur pc and u can get gospel library on ur desktop as far as u hav that software installed
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

cyrilbrains wrote:jux install blue stack.....it allows u to run andriod app on ur pc and u can get gospel library on ur desktop as far as u hav that software installed
Thanks for the tip. The reference is to BlueStacks, which does seem to let you run many Android apps on Windows or Mac. I tried Gospel Library under Windows and it worked fine.

This also gives you an easy way to do screen shots if you want to report a bug.
bjcoleman

Surprised this isn't getting more traction

Post by bjcoleman »

With Windows 8 now deployed and the rise of tablet PC's I'm really surprised there hasn't been more interest in this. The website is nice but it is not optimized at all like a dedicated app can be.

Just throwing it out there - you will literally have millions upon millions of people accessing to the new Microsoft store for "metro" apps. If you had Gospel Library and LDS Tools it would be huge. Within a year or two, the install base for Windows 8 will exceed Android and iOS combined.

I'd also point out that accessing lds.org isn't always feasible at Church. We have just installed wifi but access is very limited to select folks. The average person sporting a new Windows 8 tablet wouldn't be able to use lds.org unless they were on a cellular data plan.
msheets

Post by msheets »

@bjcoleman: I am 100% AGREED! Windows 8 is going to revolutionize the way that PC user access apps and I sincerely hope that Gospel Library, LDS Tools, and MORMON CHANNEL will all be given top priority to find their way there. For all of the negative press going around about Windows 8, it still is the standard OS shipping for Windows PCs worldwide as of two days ago. There are going to be MILLIONS of users within the year, no matter how much criticism it receives. And this, I truly believe, is going to push the Windows phone into the open for the first time. This is an emerging market that is going to explode and we can't toy with it anymore and treat it like Microsoft is just going to flop overnight. That is NOT going to happen.

Return to “Gospel Library”