Problem printing articles longer than 2 pages?

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
kcowolf

Problem printing articles longer than 2 pages?

Post by kcowolf »

I noticed this today when I tried printing out a couple of Ensign articles from LDS.org. I was printing from the Gospel Library (not the PDF version of the magazine). The first two pages printed fine, but for some reason everything after that got cut off except for the copyright information, which printed at the top of the third page. This first occurred on the church computer, but I just reproduced it on my laptop.

I'm using the latest version of Firefox, and the problem occurred whether I printed to the printer or the CutePDF writer.

Has anyone else seen this? Is this a Firefox bug?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I just tried with different print settings, margins, headers/footers, etc. in Firefox, but could not reproduce the problem you saw using either my laser printer, or CutePDF.

Which article were you trying to print? What settings were you using? Margins? Portrait/Landscape? Shrink to Fit/Scale? Headers/Footers? Did the print preview show the full text?

Thanks,
Mike
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kcowolf

Post by kcowolf »

The article was "Content with the Things Allotted unto Us" by Elder Neal A. Maxwell. The print preview had the same problem. The options should be Firefox defaults -- 0.5" margins on all sides, portrait, "shrink to fit page width" checked, and normal headers/footers (title, URL, page number, date/time).
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Hummm... I couldn't get it to malfunction with either Firefox 3.5.9 or IE 8.0.6001.

Anyone else see this? THIS is the page he's seeing the printing errors on, although it's probably not the only one.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kcowolf wrote:The article was "Content with the Things Allotted unto Us" by Elder Neal A. Maxwell. The print preview had the same problem. The options should be Firefox defaults -- 0.5" margins on all sides, portrait, "shrink to fit page width" checked, and normal headers/footers (title, URL, page number, date/time).
I went to Content with the Things Allotted unto Us, and printed from Firefox 3.6.3, with all the default print settings, as you described.

And indeed, the result is exactly as you described. I have attached the PDF generated by CutePDF. I even tried the next talk, As Doves to Our Windows by Elder Holland, and it had the same problem.

But then I tried the same thing with Chrome, and it printed correctly (that is also attached). So it appears to somehow be a Firefox 3.6 issue, or at least an interaction between these Gospel Library talks and Firefox 3.6, since Mikerowaved couldn't duplicate it with FF 3.5.
Attachments
Maxwell.pdf
(106.3 KiB) Downloaded 652 times
Holland.pdf
(105.42 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
Maxwell-Chrome.pdf
(109.19 KiB) Downloaded 573 times
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Are you using the print button on the page or the one in the browser? Or does it matter?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

kcowolf

Post by kcowolf »

It happens whether I choose print from File menu or the page's print button.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Alan_Brown wrote:...since Mikerowaved couldn't duplicate it with FF 3.5.
Ah yes. I was running Win 7 in a VM and didn't realize my Firefox there was outdated. As soon as I spawned a machine with FF 3.6.3 the problem showed up.

A Google search shows many frustrated users throughout the I'net with similar webpage printing problems after they upgraded to FF 3.6. The only workaround I saw was to use a different browser. Not very helpful, but at least we know it's not a problem unique to lds.org.
kcowolf

Post by kcowolf »

Thanks for looking into this, everyone. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one and that it's not an lds.org problem; hopefully the Firefox devs will get it figured out soon.

Also, it looks like if you use Coral IE Tab and click the "Print" button on the article page, it prints all four pages.
DaltonTM
Church Employee
Church Employee

FYI

Post by DaltonTM »

Thank you for the discussion on this. We did find the same problem with FF 3.6...and have a solution in our deploy pipeline. It should be fixed with our next deploy (sorry can't give specifics on when). :)

Return to “Main Church Website”