Palm/PPC Ward Tools - Anyone using?

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
nbflint

Palm/PPC Ward Tools - Anyone using?

Post by nbflint »

I've recently discovered the PDA program, Ward Tools http://www.ldstools.com. It looks like a great way to empower the ward leadership with the MLS data in the palm of their hands.

Has anyone else used this program?

How have you used it?

How has it helped with ward planning preparedness?

Even if you haven't used it, your comments are appreciated.

My Elders quorum is looking at using this and a couple of other palm tools but we'd like to find any user experiences/testimonials first.

Thanks for the help!

thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

I haven't personally used this program, though from their demo it seems to be a worthwhile program if the data is kept accurately and is used often.

Anyway LDS Tools is a commercial program and its use here does not mean that it is endorsed by the Church.
- David
opee

WardTools

Post by opee »

I have used WardTools on a Palm and PPC. There are more features (beaming reports, icons, GUI) in the Palm than in the PPC version.

The reports it offers are handy and helpful, especially when sitting in meetings. It is nice that you can edit the existing reports (found a few mistakes in a few of them--did not show returned missionaries correctly) and even CREATE your own (VERY nice feature).

There are some features that would be nice to add (easier filters, more data display options, etc.). I think that it is a little high priced for the little functionality that is has, but I will probably get my money's worth from it.

I had been using the MyWard program for PPC to see the data of individuals in the wards, but it does not have the functionality of reports like WardTools.

Hope this unbiased review helps.
Chrisrpeterson

Post by Chrisrpeterson »

I have used it. I use the Palm version as I have a Treo 680. As an Elders Quorum President it is very valuable. I always have my phone with me so I can see current home teaching information when I need it. Having a ward list is great too.
dshep2020

Post by dshep2020 »

I am currently using the Smartphone version of this app and use it every day. There are a few issues with the Smartphone version that the developer is going to fix in the next version. I serve in a bishopric and use the HT/VT information, calling reports and class lists every week, if not every day. I also like the ability to have my ward list that I can directly make call from on my phone. I tend to want to keep my ward directory separate from my phone contact list. The price may seem a bit steep, but I tried out the eval before I purchased. It proved it's worth to me and didn't have an issue spending the money for something that I use so much.

There are a few reports that I would change up a bit that I could not customize on the Smartphone version (not sure if I could make the changes on the Palm/PPC version). I contacted the developer about it and he stated that he may release an external report generator which would allow you to create customized report formats on your PC and import them into Ward Tools. Don't know if that will ever happen, but it was somewhat encouraging.

If you have specific questions, ask (reply or PM) and I will do my best to answer.

Dave
elderlarryhawkes-p40

Post by elderlarryhawkes-p40 »

dshep2020 wrote:I am currently using the Smartphone version of this app and use it every day.

If you have specific questions, ask (reply or PM) and I will do my best to answer.

Dave
Does Ward Tools function on a laptop too? In other words, can you view the same information that ward tools creates on a laptop like the hand held devices?

Does Ward Tools have an option to output the information as HTML files? :D

Thanks for your help.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

elderlarryhawkes wrote:Does Ward Tools function on a laptop too? In other words, can you view the same information that ward tools creates on a laptop like the hand held devices?.

For laptop use, you might investigate MLS Companion(free) andLDS Leader Assistant(commercial).
elderlarryhawkes-p40

Post by elderlarryhawkes-p40 »

boomerbubba wrote:For laptop use, you might investigate MLS Companion(free) andLDS Leader Assistant(commercial).

Just did some looking at these two web sites. Looks like a couple of good options. Thanks for the information.
pete_arnett-p40

Palm/PPC/iPhone/PDA/Laptop/Desktop Ward Tools

Post by pete_arnett-p40 »

boomerbubba wrote:For laptop use, you might investigate MLS Companion(free) andLDS Leader Assistant(commercial).

Suggest you try WardInfo which is a free a software package that formats MLS data into HTML or iSilo formats for use with Palm, Pocket PC (PPC), smartphones, iPhones and laptops/desktops

More information on WardInfo can be found at:
http://hcgl.eng.ohio-state.edu/~mills/W ... dInfo.htmlhttp://hcgl.eng.ohio-state.edu/~mill.../WardInfo.html

More information can be found about Church Publications for Handhelds for iSilo—Pocket PC
http://www.lds.org/handheld/newarchive/ ... -2,00.htmlhttp://www.lds.org/handheld/newarchi...-101-2,00.html

Also, you can read almost any iSilo produced publications and documents
general, law, medical and religion (CS Lewis)
:cool: Your Fellow Servant,
Porter (Pete) Lee Arnett Jr.
USA
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

pete_arnett wrote:Suggest you try WardInfo which is a free a software package that formats MLS data into HTML or iSilo formats for use with Palm, Pocket PC (PPC), smartphones, iPhones and laptops/desktops

More information on WardInfo can be found at:
http://hcgl.eng.ohio-state.edu/~mill.../WardInfo.html

More information can be found about Church Publications for Handhelds for iSilo—Pocket PC
http://www.lds.org/handheld/newarchi...-101-2,00.html

Thanks for the refererence. (I remembered reading about an HTML-based system but couldn't remember its name. I now recall that I once visited the free WardInfo site but the documentation was out of date so it was unclear if it was still supported.)

But I can't get either of those links to work. It looks like the URLs were chopped in the middle. Could you recheck that and post the full links?

Return to “Other Member Technologies”