Tech Chats

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
WelchTC

Tech Chats

Post by WelchTC »

Many of you are familiar with our Tech Talk sessions we have. What if we had a "Tech Chat" session where via IM we have some of our directors and other executives, developers, and project managers come and talk about different projects or technologies. If we do this, what topics are of interest? What technologies should we use to allow all to virtually attend? What times would be best?

Tom
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Actually, I'd like to at least hear the voices. Submitting questions by IM or email or something is fine. But I think a lot information wouldn't said in all text format because typing is so much slower then talking. What's the possibilities of using the broadcast facilities that are used to broadcast General Conference via the Internet?
pfnelson

Post by pfnelson »

For work we use WebEx informally; you can share your desktop to broadcast PowerPoint sides. You can also group chat and/or post private comments. We usually have a dial in line, but you could just do chat. If you had a dial in line, probably would want everyone to be restricted to listen-only mode until a Q&A at the end.

Probably a weekday evening would be best, Tues-Thurs.

Topics:
new technology being rolled out in the next year
LUWS enhancements coming
KathrynGZ

Post by KathrynGZ »

I like the WebEx idea because it includes voice, visuals, and chat if you need it. Topics of most interest to me would be new developments, brainstorming on solutions to problems, and projects we could volunteer to help with.

Kathryn
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

RussellHltn wrote:Actually, I'd like to at least hear the voices. Submitting questions by IM or email or something is fine. But I think a lot information wouldn't said in all text format because typing is so much slower then talking. What's the possibilities of using the broadcast facilities that are used to broadcast General Conference via the Internet?
This would not be as interactive as I would like. I want a forum where people can ask questions and get direct responses.

Tom
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tomw wrote:This would not be as interactive as I would like. I want a forum where people can ask questions and get direct responses.
Which part of my idea where you addressing? The partial text, or use of Internet broadcast facilities?

It sounded to me like the original proposal was all text. But if it's all text then I think th information content will be lower since most people can talk faster and easer then they can type. So at minimum I'd like to hear the voices of the church techs as they respond. If more can be done, then great.

Consider that if you have a web-tech talk, you're going to have a lot of questions thrown at you. It probably would be a good idea to combine, filter or otherwise process them. For us to submit questions and have the church tech respond via voice I think would be workable. If you want two way voice, so much the better, but then screening the questions would be harder.

I'm just tossing out ideas, not necessarily the best ones.
KathrynGZ

Best times

Post by KathrynGZ »

Sorry, forgot to mention what times would be best. I work full time so days are mostly out, though a lunch-time chat could work.

Evenings are probably best... 7:00 p.m. or later Pacific time. Tuesday nights are pretty much out right now, but some Wednesday or Thursday nights would work.

Kathryn
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

RussellHltn wrote:Actually, I'd like to at least hear the voices. Submitting questions by IM or email or something is fine. But I think a lot information wouldn't said in all text format because typing is so much slower then talking. What's the possibilities of using the broadcast facilities that are used to broadcast General Conference via the Internet?

It would be nice to hear voices but I also like the feedback of IM and although there are conferencing programs I don't know how reliable it would be with the active 200+ people all connecting to a single server.
- David
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

tomw wrote:Many of you are familiar with our Tech Talk sessions we have. What if we had a "Tech Chat" session where via IM we have some of our directors and other executives, developers, and project managers come and talk about different projects or technologies. If we do this, what topics are of interest? What technologies should we use to allow all to virtually attend? What times would be best?

Tom

Topics of interest would be:
  • Stake Conference Broadcasting and Building to Building Communications
  • New FamilySearch (In depth)
  • LUWS (2.0)?
If we have just text MSN IM, Yahoo IM, and others all work well.

Times would be after 7 MST.
- David
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

RussellHltn wrote:Which part of my idea where you addressing? The partial text, or use of Internet broadcast facilities?
Sorry, I was referring to the Internet Broadcast Facilities.

Text does have the disadvantage of being slower than speach. We are looking at various technologies to host these talks.

Tom

Return to “General Discussions”