Lost family?

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
gregneg

Lost family?

Post by gregneg »

New "webmaster" in a ward I just moved into. The bishop asked me to get photos into the on-line directory.

I took some photos of a volunteer, explaining that I'd be experimenting in adding pix to the website. He is not in the ward on-line directory ---- not even in the admin pages. :eek:

****However**** , I can search for him as a member (or as an admin) -- and his "normal" info (address, phone, etc) all shows up. And yes, the assigned ward is correct in the found listing.

I'm confused --- any help out there? :confused:
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Just a thought. Does the information in the MLS program and the LUWS (local unit web site) match for this individual?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

People can be "hidden" by the admin. However, they should still show up in th Admin mode (green background), but grayed out.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

elderj1 wrote:****However**** , I can search for him as a member (or as an admin) -- and his "normal" info (address, phone, etc) all shows up. And yes, the assigned ward is correct in the found listing. :confused:
As he's able to search for this individual w/o using the admin mode I wouldn't think that the record would be hidden or he wouldn't see it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Techgy wrote:As he's able to search for this individual w/o using the admin mode I wouldn't think that the record would be hidden or he wouldn't see it.
I was taking a shot in the dark. I wasn't sure if it was hidden from search or not. A quick test on our pages shows it is hidden from search. I'm not sure why they family isn't visible.

I'd suggest a call to clerk support.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gregneg

Post by gregneg »

Techgy wrote:Just a thought. Does the information in the MLS program and the LUWS (local unit web site) match for this individual?
I've contacted our membership clerk regarding the MLS records. I'll have that info Sunday.
RussellHltn wrote:
I'd suggest a call to clerk support.
Clerk support? I'm familiar with MLS support --- would that be the same phone #?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

elderj1 wrote:Clerk support? I'm familiar with MLS support --- would that be the same phone #?
Yup. I can't think of what it would be, so I think the guys need to look at this one a little deeper.

jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Here is a shot from the hip.

Someone on this forum once described housholds in MLS as an "envelope" where individual records are stored. I have run into a problem several times where a members last name changes due to marraige or divorce, the name change shows up correctly on the individual record side of MLS, but when that member is also head of house, sometimes the name change doesn't happen automatically. In that case you have to manually edit the last name in the household record ("envelope") within MLS to get it to display correctly on all ward printous and lookups.

For example, I have found this was most common when a divorced sister who had origianlly retained her married name, legally reverts back to her madinen name. This always seemed to require a manual edit of the household record in MLS to display correctly. I seem to recall other instances where this would occur, but this is the most obvious example I could remeber at the moment.

This might also happen to a male if his mother went through the process I described above, and then the mother subsequently died our moved out of the ward, thus promoting the male to head of house. For example, Jane Doe gets divorced. She has a son in her household named David Doe. Jane legally changes her name to Smith. The household record is manually edited to reflect the name change. Later on, Jane Smith moves out of the ward but her son remains. MLS promotes John Doe to head of house for the Smith household, requiring another manual edit to correct the household name.

Since LUWS (essentially) pulls data from MLS, this might be why you can find the individual on LUWS via search, but they don't show up where you would expect them under the household.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

elderj1 wrote:New "webmaster" in a ward I just moved into. The bishop asked me to get photos into the on-line directory.

I took some photos of a volunteer, explaining that I'd be experimenting in adding pix to the website. He is not in the ward on-line directory ---- not even in the admin pages. :eek:

****However**** , I can search for him as a member (or as an admin) -- and his "normal" info (address, phone, etc) all shows up. And yes, the assigned ward is correct in the found listing.

I'm confused --- any help out there? :confused:
When you resolve this, please return to this thread and post a note. I'm sure this will help others and it helps us to have closure on a topic.;)
gregneg

Return & report request

Post by gregneg »

Techgy wrote:When you resolve this, please return to this thread and post a note. I'm sure this will help others and it helps us to have closure on a topic.;)

Definitely --- I personally hate dangling postings on boards :p

It will be Sunday before I can get to the clerk and check the MLS comparison and "family envelope" issues and get the "help" phone number. Then it will be Monday before there is anyone to answer that phone call-----

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”