Adding non-resident members

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
hugh-p40

Adding non-resident members

Post by hugh-p40 »

I'm trying to add a non-resident member (using his record number and confirmation date) to our stake. When I try, I get a message saying he cannot be added because he is already a non-resident member of another stake. Is there a workaround for this? I tried to call Salt Lake about it, but got the proverbial run around, endless phone menu, then busy signal. . .

Thank you.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

hugh wrote:I'm trying to add a non-resident member (using his record number and confirmation date) to our stake. When I try, I get a message saying he cannot be added because he is already a non-resident member of another stake. Is there a workaround for this? I tried to call Salt Lake about it, but got the proverbial run around, endless phone menu, then busy signal. . .
LUWS allows a person to be a non-resident member of only one stake. I can see how the limitation might be a bit frustrating, but have you contacted the person to better understand the situation?
  • Are they truly a non-resident member of another stake?
  • If they are, do they still need to be a non-resident member of that stake?
  • If not, the web administrator for that other stake could remove them, and then you would be able to add them to your stake as a non-resident member.
  • Otherwise, the person will just have to decide which secondary stake is most important to them.
The non-resident member capability was added to LUWS primarily to allow for people to fulfill callings in a stake they do not live in. An obvious example of this would be someone serving as a bishop or Relief Society president in a student stake, but lives in some other stake in the area. Such a person would have only one such calling, so the limitation is not a problem.

Perhaps we should back up and ask why you want someone to be a non-resident member of more than one stake, and then maybe we can give better help.
danpass

Post by danpass »

Alan_Brown wrote: Perhaps we should back up and ask why you want someone to be a non-resident member of more than one stake, and then maybe we can give better help.
I don't know anything about Hugh's reason, but can give you an example of when a person might need non-resident access in more than one stake. We have had a member of the mission presidency ask to be added as a non-resident member in order to have access to contact information of members of our stake. The stake president approved and we did it. Presumably, he had the same need in other stakes in our mission and may have run into this restriction.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

There is another reason to be a non-member of multiple stakes. Our stake split a few years ago. One of the stakes does not have a building large enough to use for their stake meetings and must use nearby stakes' buildings for that purpose. They need to be able to view the nearby stake calendars and building reservations to plan where they can hold their meetings.
hugh-p40

Post by hugh-p40 »

My reason is similar. The person needing the access is in charge of the regional Bishop's Storehouse. By giving him access, we avoid having to constantly feed him names, callings, phone numbers, etc., of leaders in the stake as they change.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Well, it looks to me like you've run into a limitation of the system. Either he's going to have to decide what stake he wants to be a non-resident member of, or he needs to call CHQ to see if they can grant him regional rights (if such a thing exists). I don't see anything in your control.
ShirtsDre

Multiple Non-resident Memberships

Post by ShirtsDre »

There is underway a lower priority enhancement to extend the ability to be assigned to more than one Stake/District as a nonresident member. It doesn't have a set schedule for implementation nor release but it is being worked on as time permits. I will update this post as soon as it gets released, but it may take some time.
-- Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Live in the present. -- President Thomas S. Monson
opee

Post by opee »

BillyBoJimBob wrote:There is underway a lower priority enhancement to extend the ability to be assigned to more than one Stake/District as a nonresident member. It doesn't have a set schedule for implementation nor release but it is being worked on as time permits. I will update this post as soon as it gets released, but it may take some time.

Thanks for letting the community know that you are working on a solution to this scenario.
GrasseDD

Post by GrasseDD »

I was happy to see this thread at the top of the list. I work as a CES coordinator, and serve several stakes. Many of us would be interested in seeing some form of access to LUWS info of the stakes we serve.
Of course, now that I read this thread, I suppose there's a whole flood of persons who feel like they (we) are the exceptions that should be granted access to other stakes' websites. :o
tortdog

Post by tortdog »

As a Stake YM President, it is easier for me to find information on the stake YM presidencies of the other area stakes from the local BSA Council than via lds.org. I've often wondered what the Boy Scouts must think, when I call up the BSA council to get the contact information for the other LDS stake leaders because I can't get it from lds.org.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”