HP Laserjet M3027x MFP Scan to Desktop

Discussions about setup, operation, and maintenance of these devices in meetinghouses other than a FHC
rpyne

HP Laserjet M3027x MFP Scan to Desktop

Post by rpyne »

Has anyone succeeded at getting an HP Laserjet M3027x MFP to Scan to Desktop?

A while back we received the HP Laserjet M3027x MFP combination Printer/Scanner/Fax/Copier to replace our copier in the stake offices.

Last week I came into a need to scan a bunch of documents an thought that it would be nice to be able to use the Scan to Desktop feature of the M3027x since it has a nice document feeder. I downloaded the HP Scan Setup Wizard from the HP website and started it up to configure the necessary share folder and the M3027x. The wizard promply told me that I needed to upgrade the firmware on the M3027x which took about an hour to download and install. Back to the wizard. Everything went fine until I tried to scan a document at which time the M3027x console told me to "Please Wait" for about two minuted and then told me "This folder is currently not accessible. Contact your Network Manager". Calls to the global Supprt Desk and Local Unit Support bth resulted in being told to contact HP support. The HP support live chat session lasted a little over three hours before I ran out of time trying everything short of reinstalling the OS and was no further ahead.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Is the computer running Desktop 5.5? While there could be many causes, I'd look at firewall issues. Unfortunately, the firewall seems to be locked down. :( I've had similar problems trying to get HP LaserJet tools that allow me to check the status of the printer to work. They worked just fine prior to Desktop 5.5, when I was on WinXP SP2, but after I reinstalled the same programs on Desktop 5.5 - nothing. It won't connect.
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

Yes, it is running Desktop 5.5. I was wondering if the firewall was the problem, but I could not get into any of the firewall configuration nor could I shut down the firewall to test that theory.

I guess the most frustrating part about it being the firewall is that niether the Global Help Desk nor Local Unit Support gave any indication that that could be the problem. It makes sense because the HP wizard has no problem talking to the printer, but the printer cannot connect back to the PC.

However, I am not certain that it is the firewall because I was able to connect my laptop to the network and write files to the shared folder.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

rpyne wrote:However, I am not certain that it is the firewall because I was able to connect my laptop to the network and write files to the shared folder.
It would seem logical to me that writing files would be on a different port and/or use a different protocol than the communication a printer would have would the PC. I wouldn't rule out the firewall just because of the writing files test.
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

The Scan to Desktop function of the HP M3027x does exactly that, write files to a folder on the desktop.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rpyne wrote:The Scan to Desktop function of the HP M3027x does exactly that, write files to a folder on the desktop.
Yes, but what protocol? SMB? FTP? What user account does it use to connect?
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

RussellHltn wrote:Yes, but what protocol? SMB? FTP? What user account does it use to connect?
Considering the way it does the setup, a Windows share, the only protocol that makes sense is SMB. If it were using FTP, there would be no need to set up a Windows share nor would the README contain so much information about share access rights. The setup has you enter the user account information, I put in the CLERK account with the appropriate password.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Things I would check (for the HP M3027x):

Q: Is the firmware up-to-date?
A: According to you original post, Yes.

Q: Is the print driver up-to-date?
A: According to your original post, Unknown; but this ought to irrelevant to your scanning issue. (Personally I would avoid the Universal Print Driver and opt for the PCL6 driver instead. YMMV.)

Q: Is the scanning software (HP Scan Setup Wizard) up-to-date?
A: According to your original post, Yes.

Note: When you enter the authentication credentials in the Scan Setup Wizard, you already know what the Username and Password should be, but you might have to dig a little to make sure you are using the correct Domain under Desktop 5.5. I'm not sure if Desktop 5.5 uses the generic Windows domain of WORKGROUP or something else.

Finally, All-In-One's (especially HP's) are notorious for the scanner not wanting to communicate with the PC unless it is connected via USB instead of the Ethernet port (regardless of what the documentation claims).

Q: Is it safe to assume you have already tried connecting the All-In-One to the PC via USB instead of Ethernet and still can't get them to play nice?
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

jbh001 wrote:Q: Is the firmware up-to-date?
A: According to you original post, Yes.
Yes.
jbh001 wrote:Q: Is the print driver up-to-date?
(Personally I would avoid the Universal Print Driver and opt for the PCL6 driver instead. YMMV.)
According to HP Tech Support, the Print Driver has absolutely no part of the scanning function.
jbh001 wrote:Q: Is the scanning software (Scan Setup Wizard) up-to-date?
Yes.
jbh001 wrote:Note: When you enter the authentication credentials in the Scan Setup Wizard, you already know what the Username and Password should be, but you might have to dig a little to make sure you are using the correct Domain under Desktop 5.5. I'm not sure if Desktop 5.5 uses the generic Windows domain of WORKGROUP or something else.
The preset workgroup for Desktop 5.5 is "LOCALUNIT"
jbh001 wrote:Finally, All-In-One's (especially HP's) are notorious for the scanner not wanting to communicate with the PC unless it is connected via USB instead of the Ethernet port (regardless of what the documentation claims).

Q: Is it safe to assume you have already tried connecting the All-In-One to the PC via USB instead of Ethernet and still can't get them to play nice?
One of the very first things that HP Tech Support questioned me on was to make sure that the connection was via network, NOT USB. The device specs, the scanner setup readme, and HP Tech support are adamant that the Scan to Desktop only involves the PC as a place to put the scanned files and can be done ONLY over the network using a Windows share.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

rpyne wrote:One of the very first things that HP Tech Support questioned me on was to make sure that the connection was via network, NOT USB. The device specs, the scanner setup readme, and HP Tech support are adamant that the Scan to Desktop only involves the PC as a place to put the scanned files and can be done ONLY over the network using a Windows share.
That's as may be. With my (limited) experience with HP all-in-ones, I would still try give the USB route a try before "reinstalling the OS" regardless of what HP readme files and tech support are adamant about. HP has some trust to rebuild and some history to overcome regarding the USB vs. Ethernet scanner connectivity issue.

I would go back and re-do the installation following the USB guidelines in the Getting Started Guide, and then run the Scan Setup Wizard, especially since HP tech support and the readme files led to dead ends (thus far).

Return to “Printers, Copiers, and Multi-Function Devices”