Encouraging Members to Use Unit Websites

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Russell does that mean you can upload 10 Attachements of 1MB each or a total space of 1 MB is given?
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

thedqs wrote:Russell does that mean you can upload 10 Attachements of 1MB each or a total space of 1 MB is given?
:confused: 10?

The attachment (to a news item) can be upto 1 MB. Off hand I'm not aware of any limits to the number of news items or total space. I haven't seen that mentioned.
opee

Signing up members on LUWS during Tithing Settlement

Post by opee »

A unit in my Stake had a neat idea to share in helping to get members to sign up to use the LUWS (for those beta sites that have Internet access in their buildings):

While members are waiting for Tithing Settlement and are reviewing their Individual Ordinance Summaries, the clerk checks to see if they have signed up for the LUWS. If they have not, he helps them through the steps of signing up on the computer.
bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

Cool idea! I'll have to try it.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

opee wrote:A unit in my Stake had a neat idea to share in helping to get members to sign up to use the LUWS (for those beta sites that have Internet access in their buildings):

While members are waiting for Tithing Settlement and are reviewing their Individual Ordinance Summaries, the clerk checks to see if they have signed up for the LUWS. If they have not, he helps them through the steps of signing up on the computer.
Wow, GREAT idea!

Tom
dobrichelovek

Ward Website Handout

Post by dobrichelovek »

This is what I created for the Bishop when he asked for something to hand out during tithing settlement. Not exactly a professional job, but good enough to copy and hand out. Use it (and fix/improve it) if you want. I've noticed that too many people aren't willing to try to sign up if it's unfamiliar territory. The point was to make it easy for them to follow instructions and give some hints about the value of the website. The organizations still need direction to understand that they can/should post their events to the website. Education is the best way to get this to happen, but I find it's most effective when supported by official policy of the leaders.

If someone makes something much better, I'd appreciate a copy.
Attachments
Ward Website training..ppt
(700 KiB) Downloaded 317 times
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

dobrichelovek wrote:This is what I created for the Bishop when he asked for something to hand out during tithing settlement. Not exactly a professional job, but good enough to copy and hand out. Use it (and fix/improve it) if you want. I've noticed that too many people aren't willing to try to sign up if it's unfamiliar territory. The point was to make it easy for them to follow instructions and give some hints about the value of the website. The organizations still need direction to understand that they can/should post their events to the website. Education is the best way to get this to happen, but I find it's most effective when supported by official policy of the leaders.

If someone makes something much better, I'd appreciate a copy.
Nice work! Its a great start.

Tom
marstorm-p40

One click to content

Post by marstorm-p40 »

RussellHltn wrote:There is the "News and Information" section. Assuming you're talking about text and not a audio clip, you can attach up to a 1MB file. What's preventing that from being done now?
Yes this is an option and I have suggested it to our stake. There a couple things to that hinder content delivery. Downloads would have to be in PDF format as not everyone has MS Word, and once the download is complete many users may have trouble finding their file. Clicking one link and reading the content would make it a lot easier for the average user.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

marstorm wrote: and once the download is complete many users may have trouble finding their file. Clicking one link and reading the content would make it a lot easier for the average user.
Seems like most often unless I really work at downloading, the PDF file will open instead. I'd have to try it on LUWS to be sure, but that seems to be what happens to me on most websites.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

RussellHltn wrote:Seems like most often unless I really work at downloading, the PDF file will open instead. I'd have to try it on LUWS to be sure, but that seems to be what happens to me on most websites.
That is the usual default behavior, especially from Adobe. I know you can change one of the HTTP headers on the response to force the open or save dialog, but obviously that is not an option when posting a file to a website that isn't really yours.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”