The Beta Calendar is Up

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

techgy wrote:It would appear that there's no official release date yet for the new calendar and directory. Like many, I'd been told by someone, somewhere that it was this year. I'm glad to admit that my assumption is incorrect. It certainly didn't appear that target was going to be met.

Thanks for the correction.
Well, that depends on your definition of "release." As far as I know, it is still the plan that there will be a usable release this year. So I don't think anyone is saying that it will not be released this year.

However, additional features will continue to be added. LUWS and the new Calendar and Directory will continue to coexist for quite a while. The phaseout of LUWS is still quite a ways out.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
danpass

Post by danpass »

Alan_Brown wrote: But in any case, I wasn't just making up my statement. I participate in a mailing list in which a senior technical writer for the Church participates; he has direct access to the developers of the new Calendar application. And he said that the old website would probably be operational through the end of 2011, and that the LUWS would not be phased out until all its elements have been developed for the new site.

I know that's just hearsay to you at this point, but I'll take that statement over speculation any day.
While the Wiki can't be assumed to contain official information, I just found the following in the Calendar Help section:
Q. How long will the previous calendar remain operational? If the previous calendar is still operational after the release of the new calendar, how will wards and stakes be motivated to convert to using the new calendar?
The previous calendar will probably remain operational until the end of 2011. However, the new calendar is now available for use in 2010. In October, at least 100 stakes will begin using the new calendar as their official calendar for all 2011 events. Throughout the year the calendar will undergo improvements and other additions. By the time the old calendar is discontinued, the new calendar will include the ability to import events from the old calendar.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I found this post which may have given me my impression. But all it says is that it should be ready for use by 2011, nothing about replacing the current calender.

However, I'd like to see some means for a unit to disable the existing LUWS calender so that units can make sure only one is in use. Having two calenders is a recipe for confusion and conflicts.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:I'd like to see some means for a unit to disable the existing LUWS calender so that units can make sure only one is in use. Having two calenders is a recipe for confusion and conflicts.

I suppose a unit could depopulate any future items in the existing LUWS calendar, and perhaps even leave just one item at the changeover date announcing the change and providing the link to the new site.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Depopulating would help, but it wouldn't stop members from trying to submit events.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

If you're feeling rebellious, you could make a repeating event in the old calendar with the code below.

Code: Select all

<span style=color:blue;cursor:pointer; onclick=javascript:window.location.href=('http://new.lds.org/church-calendar')><u>new.lds.org/church-calendar</u></span>
mprusse

June 2011 calendar events won't enter

Post by mprusse »

I've noticed that attempts to create calendar items in June 2011 fail. The dates default to a July date and cannot be changed. I duplicated this problem on both a Mac & PC running Safari and Firefox respectively. I have reported this using Feedback on new.lds.org.

Anyone else seeing this?
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

macsense wrote:I've noticed that attempts to create calendar items in June 2011 fail. The dates default to a July date and cannot be changed. I duplicated this problem on both a Mac & PC running Safari and Firefox respectively. I have reported this using Feedback on new.lds.org.

Anyone else seeing this?
It's working just fine for me. I created a date for August 2011 and it went onto that date without a complaint.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

techgy wrote:It's working just fine for me. I created a date for August 2011 and it went onto that date without a complaint.

But can you create an event for June 2011?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

macsense wrote:I've noticed that attempts to create calendar items in June 2011 fail. The dates default to a July date and cannot be changed. I duplicated this problem on both a Mac & PC running Safari and Firefox respectively. I have reported this using Feedback on new.lds.org.

Anyone else seeing this?
Yes, I noticed that, too. It's actually a problem with every June. Most strange (and most annoying).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Calendar”