How to POP myldsmail missionary accounts using Postbox, GMail, AOL, etc.

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
paulohefagundes

Attempt failed

Post by paulohefagundes »

Alan_Brown wrote:So it sounds like you are trying to import your new.myldsmail.net email (which is a Google Apps site) into your regular gmail account.
You are right Alan Brown, that is exactly what I am trying to do: To import it all into my gmail account before the church deletes my myldsmail account and I loose all the emails I have received.
RussellHltn wrote:When you log into myldsmail, what is the domain you see at the top?
When I log into my new.ldsmail.net account, I see at the top this address: https://mail.google.com/a/myldsmail.net ... ource=SSO#

I did what Alan Brown suggested and I got the following message:

Code: Select all

Server denied POP3 access for the given username and password.
Server returned error: "[AUTH] Username and password not accepted."
=(
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Beholder87 wrote:I got the following message:

Code: Select all

Server denied POP3 access for the given username and password.
Server returned error: "[AUTH] Username and password not accepted."
My instructions said "ldsmail.net", but you are using "myldsmail.net" -- did you indeed specify "myldsmail.net"? And did you specify your full email address as your username (e.g., "myname@myldsmail.net")?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
paulohefagundes

Alan_Brown wrote:My instructions said "ldsmail.net", but you are using "myldsmail.net" -- did you indeed specify "myldsmail.net"? And did you specify your full email address as your username (e.g., "myname@myldsmail.net")?
Yes, I just tried doing it in the way you wrote, but I got the same result.
=(

Note: I'm on BYU-I campus. I don't know if the way that they configure the network has something to do with the why I can't import the email.
matt

Post by matt »

Beholder87 wrote:Yes, I just tried doing it in the way you wrote, but I got the same result.
=(

Note: I'm on BYU-I campus. I don't know if the way that they configure the network has something to do with the why I can't import the email.
The MyLDSMail settings are tied to your release date. This date is set by the Missionary department when you are called. So, your actual release date from your mission may be earlier than this date. Once you are officially released (by your mission) you will be identified as released. Upon login to MyLDSMail (http://new.myldsmail.net) you will be given instructions along with a password to use for POP. The password is different from your LDS Account and is by design. The POP settings will also be given upon the system recognizing that you are officially released.

So, give it 2-3 weeks until the Missionary system shows you are released and your LDS Account is updated to show you are no longer a full time missionary. Then just login to http://new.myldsmail.net and you will have instructions on how to POP your myldsmail.net email to another system.
paulohefagundes

It worked!!!

bikejunkie, you were totally right!

This is the a print screen that I took from the page:

But it worked only when I used my full email as username and also I had to use the configurations that you all mentioned before (port 995), SSL secure connect and etc...

=D
thatkid-p40

iPhone?

Post by thatkid-p40 »

What about adding the POP to an iPhone? I still use it for emails even still after my mission.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

thatkid wrote:What about adding the POP to an iPhone? I still use it for emails even still after my mission.
You should be able to follow the above procedure for any email client that supports POP. But you won't have access to your myldsmail.net account forever. As I understand it, the main purpose of the POP capability for returned missionaries is to help them move their email content over to some other system.

If I were in your shoes, I'd switch over to a more permanent account promptly, and inform my contacts that they should no longer use the myldsmail.net account. Hopefully your myldsmail.net email traffic will slow down to a trickle or stop completely before your account gets disabled.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
thatkid-p40

Post by thatkid-p40 »

Alan_Brown wrote:You should be able to follow the above procedure for any email client that supports POP.
I have tried the settings before. Under the Incoming Mail Server where you have all suggested to add pop.gmail.com, it does not seem to like that.

I have tried using my username for log in, and I have tried using my email as a log in, and neither of the 3 seem to be works.

P.S. Some of my buddies have not changed their address to my new one, so I just have to keep getting it from that account, thats why I still use it.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”