Beta Directory Observations

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
zaneclark

Beta Directory Observations

Post by zaneclark »

The new beta directory is a great improvement and I am sure that when it is fully implemented it will be even better. Here are some of the things I like about it:

1. The ability of the administrator to update member profiles. I tried this with a couple of minor changes in some families and it worked! It even made the change on the MLS!

2. Loading photos is a snap compared to the current system and the photos can be much larger. There is no longer any need to spend time resizing to get the maximum size allowed, as is now the case. In fact, I am using it to upload new photos of families because it is so much easier and these show on the current LUWS!

3. Families ability to upload their own photos.... This hasn’t been activated yet, but when it is, I am hoping this feature will encourage more members to register.

4. The address is a link to a map to assist you in finding members.

There are a few issues and questions which I will pursue through the feedback link, but overall, it is excellent.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

zaneclark wrote:1. The ability of the administrator to update member profiles. I tried this with a couple of minor changes in some families and it worked! It even made the change on the MLS!
That's interesting. What kind of changes?

zaneclark wrote:In fact, I am using it to upload new photos of families because it is so much easier and these show on the current LUWS!
Interesting. AFAIK, it doesn't work the other way. It also seems I was incorrect when I said the new directory was "per person". It appears it's "per couple". That could make for a interesting leadership directory.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

RussellHltn wrote:That's interesting. What kind of changes?
I've been updating phone numbers and e-mail addresses in MLS through the beta directory. It's spiffy.
Interesting. AFAIK, it doesn't work the other way. It also seems I was incorrect when I said the new directory was "per person". It appears it's "per couple". That could make for a interesting leadership directory.
It appears to be both. You can upload a photo for a household that appears on the ward directory, and then you can upload photos and assign them to individuals. These appear on the leadership directory.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nutterb wrote:I've been updating phone numbers and e-mail addresses in MLS through the beta directory. It's spiffy.
Hmmm. That's all I can update on my own profile. Are admins able to do more?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

I just checked and as the STS for our stake, I can edit the profile in the new Beta Directory of any member in the stake. - This makes assisting others a LOT easier.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Techgy wrote:I just checked and as the STS for our stake, I can edit the profile in the new Beta Directory of any member in the stake. - This makes assisting others a LOT easier.
Oh, cool! That's new. At least I don't remember that from before.

jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

RussellHltn wrote:Hmmm. That's all I can update on my own profile. Are admins able to do more?
Admins can update a profile, but the only information in a profile that can be updated are the telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for the household and household members and whether those telephone numbers and e-mail addresses are available in the ward directory.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

RussellHltn wrote:Hmmm. That's all I can update on my own profile. Are admins able to do more?
I don't think we can do more than the email and phone.... Although the ability to update email addresses will be a great help in keeping them current. I am wondering about something that will probably be answered when the beta is no longer a beta, and that is, if I add an email to a member, will they then get the broadcast posts even though they are not registered for the LUWS?
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

RussellHltn wrote:Oh, cool! That's new. At least I don't remember that from before.
I'm pretty sure this is new because I don't remember it before either. The appearance of the "Stake Directory" with visibility into other wards points to a new release.

Good work folks!
mprusse

Post by mprusse »

I'm not sure when this editing feature became available but I have been making phone & email updates to records using this method for at least three weeks.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”