Beta calendar enhancement wishlist

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Calendar Description

Post by jdlessley »

When a calendar is created the text field "Description" is required to have something in it. Yet I do not see where that information is displayed for users. I created some calendars that fill similar yet different needs. Without the description of the calendar displayed to a user it is difficult if not impossible for them to determine whether or not they should subscribe to the calendar. Am I missing something or is this a feature that has not yet been implemented? I submitted feedback but I was wondering if others see where this information is provided that I do not.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

oregonmatt wrote:I agree this is a good idea as well. If building deconflicting is what is required, you can always create a "building" calendar that is similar to the current resource calendar.

Actually, this brings up the critical nature of enabling cross-ward calendars. Building scheduling with resource-type calendars is a must in the new calendar environment. I don't think the new calendars can currently be viewed outside of your own ward.

...and this brings up a current problem we have with wards from different stakes in a single building. The relevant stake presidencies have had to resort to an external calendar to schedule the building. Viewing approved calendars from neighboring stakes would be very appreciated.
I submitted a stake calendar for scheduling our building and he was able to approve it. It shows up on the stake calendars list and members are able to subscribe to it if they please. The resources overlay nicely over the other calendars. It didn't take much time to set up. Unfortunately, it does mean double entry. But for now, it's a sufficient work around. In the long term, I think it would be much more convenient to do what you're proposing.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

nutterb wrote:The resources overlay nicely over the other calendars. It didn't take much time to set up. Unfortunately, it does mean double entry.
Although I too would like to see some integration of resources with event calendars, I would note that it's not as simple as some people seem to be implying. It is very often (almost always, in my experience) the case that a resource is needed for a different time slot than the event. For the event, you want to schedule the exact time the event starts and ends, but for the resource, there is often setup and takedown time which needs to be scheduled before and after the actual time of the event. Any useful integration of resources and events will need to take this dynamic into account.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:For example the Scouts are planning to have an outing in which many of the fathers will be involved but at the same time the Elders quorum is planning to have an activity.
An interesting perspective on "conflict". That would be a problem.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Deconflicting events....

Post by kisaac »

jdlessley wrote:
Our (my stake) current experiences with the LUWS ward calendars and resources calendars teach us that errors abound when people have to look in more than one place for information to complete a process.

The multiple layering of calendars in the beta calendars is good. It just needs to include a quick way to permit a calendar editor to view all events within the ward, and even the stake, for deconfliction and then return to their preferred subscription selections. Perhaps adding a button that toggles between the two would meet this need.
I have problems even now with the LUWS and submission of conflicting events. Yes, leaders often don't even do their own checking before submitting an event that conflicts now, with just one "master' ward calendar to check. I guarrantee they will not be checking multiple places.

some kind of conflict checking is warranted.
kisaac
Community Moderators

new resource scheduling?

Post by kisaac »

oregonmatt wrote:If building deconflicting is what is required, you can always create a "building" calendar that is similar to the current resource calendar.
Do we know if a new resource scheduling "module" is in the works to accompany the new calendar and directory, but just not in beta yet?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kisaac wrote:Do we know if a new resource scheduling "module" is in the works to accompany the new calendar and directory, but just not in beta yet?
There's really no reason you can't create any number of calendars for resources using the beta calendar as it is right now. That's what someone else has already done, as described in this post. Even in the current LUWS, aside from features for assigning a stake resource to multiple wards, there's really not much difference between a resource calendar and an event calendar.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

kisaac wrote:Do we know if a new resource scheduling "module" is in the works to accompany the new calendar and directory, but just not in beta yet?
Yes, resource scheduling is in the works. Should be in beta sometime between now and the end of June.
kisaac
Community Moderators

more "wishlist" ideas, and a "tithing settlement" vision

Post by kisaac »

nutterb wrote: The resources overlay nicely over the other calendars. It didn't take much time to set up. Unfortunately, it does mean double entry.
More wishlist ideas...

1) Eliminate some "double entry" by providing a "copy to another calendar" feature. If you enter an event in one calendar, such as a ward party, it would be nice to "copy" that event to another calendar you have rights to, such as a building scheduling calendar. This could be within the "right click" options that already contain a "copy" feature, but it copies it to the same calendar, not your calendar of choice.

2) Be able to add viewers or editors to calendars based on calling, or class. Currently, you must add viewers one at a time to a private calendar. If you want to add all bishopric, or all ward leaders, or in larger groups like all relief society members it would be very tedious. (not that you would need to make this private, but you might) see 4 below

3) provide email notifications / reminders based on viewer preferences. In current LUWS, it's nice to have an email sent to those who choose to have it, that a new event was added. Or, better yet, add "notifications" similar to google calendar, allowing viewer or administrator defined reminders on certain events, like email or SMS (text.)

4) allow a "privacy" (obfuscate) feature as talked about by others. It may be advantageous to have viewers see a calendar, but not be able to see all details. Such as a bishops interview schedule. Members could see open slots and filled slots, but the actual interviewee's name is not visible. Tithing settlement sign-ups are a perfect example when we may need to see open slots but not who has filled the occupied slots. Administrators would see all data.

5) is there an "all ward members as editors" option? Or all organization members as editors? This would be advantageous in the case of appointment sign-up, such as tithing settlement or Home teaching PPI's where any member could sign themselves up for any convenient open spot, by adding their name to the calendar?

If we could combine the features above, imagine the future of "tithing settlement!"

An administrator makes a calendar (or a part of a new "resource scheduling" module) for tithing settlement, outlining which times will be available. each member then logs on, selects an appropriate time from those provided, and places his families name in a time block. He can only see the available open slots, he does not see any others names for privacy. Notifications are set to automatically email him a few days before the appointment as a reminder.

the adiminsrator and bishop at any time can print the schedule, and make adjustments by adding more time slots if needed, or removing or rescheduling some. Perhaps even a statistical report could be generated at any time showing how many ward members are signed up, and estimating how many more interviews need to be scheduled, or print a list of ward members who have not signed up, etc.

this may be more then could be incorporated in a calendar, and perhaps needs to be a hybrid between resource scheduling and a calendar, a whole new module!
kisaac
Community Moderators

can't wait for beta "resource scheduling!"

Post by kisaac »

jdcr256 wrote:Yes, resource scheduling is in the works. Should be in beta sometime between now and the end of June.
Great! is it too early to provide a wishlist? How about a better description and rules section? A link to fill in "on-line" the often neglected "hold harmless" legal form or a contract when an "outside party" schedules the resource? An option to reserve the whole resource or just portions, such as only the cultural hall, or only the Bowery and not the baseball field? inclusion of Pictures? We have resources shared between two stakes, how can we schedule a common resource for all the members of both stakes?

Return to “Calendar”