Using Cultural Beliefs to Accomplish our Goal

Discuss the feature articles on the Tech Home Page.
McDanielCA

Using Cultural Beliefs to Accomplish our Goal

Post by McDanielCA »

Using Cultural Beliefs to Accomplish Our Goal was originally posted on the main page of LDSTech. It was written by David Dalling.
-----------------------

Since I began working at the Church I have noticed a significant difference in culture from other jobs I have held. I’ve noticed the teamwork and the drive everyone has to get the work done and help it to move forward. This helps us put our best work forward.

To support the mandate to “do more with less,” the ICS Department was given new cultural beliefs:
  • Receive revelation: I call down the Lord’s help in doing my work to aid in exalting the human family.
  • Be positive: I contribute to a positive and optimistic work environment.
  • Help others succeed: I am successful when those with whom I work and serve are successful.
  • Speak up: I professionally challenge, ask questions, propose alternatives, and exchange feedback.
  • Make it simple: I communicate clearly and avoid complexity in my work products and processes.
It takes all the cultural beliefs to accomplish our goal. Doing more with less does not mean to work harder and go without. It means to find better and more efficient ways to do the task at hand, which gives us more time to do more projects.

I have found that the “speak up” and “make it simple” cultural beliefs have the biggest effect on me. “Speak up” has helped increase teamwork. When people professionally challenge and ask questions, more alternatives are proposed and more feedback happens, often resulting in the most efficient resolution. When you combine this with the other beliefs, outstanding teamwork happens and the work moves forward.

“Make it simple” is a belief that we need to keep reminding ourselves of. Too many times we get lost in the big picture and lose sight of what we are trying to accomplish. Many times we need to step back and make it simple. When things are simple the direction and goals become clearer.

While working at the Church, I have felt constantly rewarded from the Lord. A comment in the October 2008 Liahona inspires me to ask myself daily how I can utilize the cultural beliefs to achieve goals:

As the Gospel Doctrine teacher in my ward, I am deeply grateful for the great work you have done with LDS.org. Permission to own and access Church materials is extremely limited in our area. Having access to the scriptures and Church materials over the Internet is like having our own pipe into a well of pure waters. Please know that your efforts make a very real difference in the daily lives of our members. What a miracle it is for them to have our Heavenly Father’s message in their own languages. (Name withheld, “Comment,” Liahona, Oct. 2008, 48)
flyingpackman-p40

Post by flyingpackman-p40 »

David,

Great article!

We too have been working on improving the culture in our division.

Our cultural beliefs are:
- Follow Inspiration
- Invite Openness
- Select Right
- Develop People
- Work Together
- Make it Better
- Take Accountability

I find it interesting that they are very similar to the cultural beliefs that your organization selected.

Return to “Featured Article Discussions”