LUWS switching to LDS Account

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
mprusse

Convert to LDS Account or what?

Post by mprusse »

I probably missed this in the forums somewhere, but what happens if members do not convert their LUWS account to the new LDS Account? What is the deadline for doing this?

Thank you.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

macsense wrote:I probably missed this in the forums somewhere, but what happens if members do not convert their LUWS account to the new LDS Account? What is the deadline for doing this?

Thank you.
The deadline is June 2, 2009. Up through that date, members can still login using their old LUWS account, although they will be encouraged to switch to LDS Account. As indicated in this post, after the deadline, they will no longer have the option of logging in with the old LUWS account, but will be required to obtain an LDS Account in order to login.

Both now and in the future, logging in to LUWS with the old LUWS account will simplify the process of obtaining an LDS Account, since you won't have to enter in your MRN and confirmation date.
dmaynes

Post by dmaynes »

BillyBoJimBob wrote:FYI:
The User Name column only shows user names for users that still need to migrate their user accounts to an LDS Account user name and password.
This appears to be only partially correct. I have a member who has migrated to the LDS Account, but the registration page is still showing the LUWS user name. The member told me that the account had been migrated, and I verified that an LDS Account is now tied to that member's record/confirmation date, but the old LUWS user name is still being displayed.

I have two suppositions of what may have happened:
1- There is a delay in transferring the information into the LUWS system and I just need to wait, or
2- The LDS Account information is not transferred into the LUWS system until the user actually signs in to the ward website.
ShirtsDre

Post by ShirtsDre »

dmaynes wrote:The LDS Account information is not transferred into the LUWS system until the user actually signs in to the ward website.
While a user may have separately created an LDS Account and have a current LUWS account, if they haven't signed on to LUWS since the migration to LDS Account began, their accounts have not been successfully merged together and it will continue to show the old LUWS username until they sign in.
-- Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Live in the present. -- President Thomas S. Monson
dmaynes

Post by dmaynes »

It appears that the LDS Account registration process has changed. The new process is requesting the membership record number and the member's birth date, instead of the confirmation date.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dmaynes wrote:The new process is requesting the membership record number and the member's birth date, instead of the confirmation date.
Interesting. I'm guessing it was proving a bit difficult for members to remember/obtain their confirmation date. The membership number is on their temple recommend.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Interesting. Just checked. The new text reads "With your Membership Record Number and your Birth Date we can fill in your name, address and phone number from church records.

Having just struggled to get our entire High Council on-line, I really like this change. We are a student stake, so their records are not here. They had to get the info from their home ward before I could grant them non-resident status and then try to get them to create accounts. However, they all have their temple recommends on them. I was guessing confirmation dates based on their birth dates anyway.

There are really only two uncommon potential problems:
1) if the membership number is written incorrectly on their recommend or
2) the birth date is incorrect on the membership record.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

crislapi wrote:They had to get the info from their home ward before I could grant them non-resident status and then try to get them to create accounts.
Good point. I can see how it could be difficult and frustrating to get the necessary information.

I just checked the Non-Resident Member section for LUWS. It's still asking for Confirmation Date. I also checked new FamilySearch - same thing.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dmaynes

Post by dmaynes »

dmaynes wrote:It appears that the LDS Account registration process has changed. The new process is requesting the membership record number and the member's birth date, instead of the confirmation date.
The registration forms are also different. Instead of having a submission form for the e-mail address which is followed by a submission form for the username/password, there is only one long page with e-mail address and the username/password is at the bottom of the page. If you are successful entering these fields, the verification e-mail will be sent. After you verify your e-mail, you are then shown a page with a link to click for signing into the website.

I believe the process will be easier. I had a sister recently who "signed" up but only obtained the LDS Account. I sent her an e-mail, explaining that she needs to actually sign into the website. She hasn't done that yet. Part of my problem is that my "lure" to attract members to the website is a weekly e-mail broadcast. And, I ask: "Are you receiving the weekly e-mails with our calendar, news and birthdays?" So, the members feel that after enrolling their e-mail they are now "good to go." I have clarified my instructions stating that they need to actually sign in to the website, but some still don't follow all the instructions.

The long-short point is that if you have instructions you are sending to members for enrollment that they need to be revised.
mprusse

Must sign into LUWS to show as registered user

Post by mprusse »

dmaynes wrote:I believe the process will be easier. I had a sister recently who "signed" up but only obtained the LDS Account. I sent her an e-mail, explaining that she needs to actually sign into the website. She hasn't done that yet. Part of my problem is that my "lure" to attract members to the website is a weekly e-mail broadcast. And, I ask: "Are you receiving the weekly e-mails with our calendar, news and birthdays?" So, the members feel that after enrolling their e-mail they are now "good to go." I have clarified my instructions stating that they need to actually sign in to the website, but some still don't follow all the instructions.
This is frustrating me as I am finally getting people to obtain LDS Accounts but they are not signing into LUWS. As you mentioned, until the do so, they are not really registered and we cannot send them emails, etc. using LUWS.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”