MLS 3.0 Issue: Calling restrictions based on organization

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
bretangie

MLS 3.0 Issue: Calling restrictions based on organization

Post by bretangie »

I go the same surprise to day after I did a send, I received the 3.0 upgrade patch.

1. [Editor's note: This issue is now in the MLS 3.0 Issue: Screen font thread.]

2. I attempted to add a Brethren to calling as the High Priest Group Secretary. He is an Elder that has been assigned to the High Priest. When I typed in his last name it did not come up. I double checked to make sure that he was a member of the HPG and also made sure that I had selected "All" instead of only High Priest.

On a positive note, I believe 3.0 will search the entire field not just by last name.:cool:
preston.baxter

Post by preston.baxter »

bretangie wrote: 2. I attempted to add a Brethren to calling as the High Priest Group Secretary. He is an Elder that has been assigned to the High Priest. When I typed in his last name it did not come up. I double checked to make sure that he was a member of the HPG and also made sure that I had selected "All" instead of only High Priest.

I posted a similar item earlier today. In addition to not being allowed to assign an Elder to the HP home teaching organization (or a HP to the Elders), if you have EXISTING assignments then simply opening that district will clear out that current assignment. So we can't cross-assign, and we have to be careful about even viewing such assignments.

This is also a current issue in my unit because a new bishopric member was advanced to High Priest as well. Until the Stake completes the paperwork, and then I can get the data uploaded in MLS, I can't finish out the revised home teaching lists since I can't assign him to the HP group. I also want to assign a "Bishop's list" within the HP and Elders HT lists, but I can't set up such a list within the Elders' Quorum since the Bishop is a High Priest.

I'd rather have the flexibility than the automated restrictions.

Preston
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

bretangie wrote:I attempted to add a Brethren to calling as the High Priest Group Secretary. He is an Elder that has been assigned to the High Priest. When I typed in his last name it did not come up. I double checked to make sure that he was a member of the HPG and also made sure that I had selected "All" instead of only High Priest.
In my testing, MLS 3.0 will allow an Elder to be a leader in the High Priests Group, as long as he is indeed a member of the High Priests Group. When you select "All" during the selection process, the definition of "All" that is used is "All members of the High Priests Group organization."

Adding an elder to the HPG is the step many people overlook. But you said that you double checked that this elder was indeed a member of the HPG, so what you're seeing doesn't match my tests. Hmmm....
terrysackett

Post by terrysackett »

bretangie wrote:2. I attempted to add a Brethren to calling as the High Priest Group Secretary. He is an Elder that has been assigned to the High Priest. When I typed in his last name it did not come up. I double checked to make sure that he was a member of the HPG and also made sure that I had selected "All" instead of only High Priest.

I had the same issue a few versions ago when I tried to add a new convert who was still a priest, as the elders quorum secretary. He wouldn't come up in the list of elders quorum members to put in that position, even though I had added him to the elders quorum months prior to that. This issue is not specific to MLS 3.0, but was probably there from the beginning.
terrysackett

Post by terrysackett »

preston.baxter wrote:I posted a similar item earlier today. In addition to not being allowed to assign an Elder to the HP home teaching organization (or a HP to the Elders), if you have EXISTING assignments then simply opening that district will clear out that current assignment. So we can't cross-assign, and we have to be careful about even viewing such assignments.

Thanks for the warning! I'll pass this info to my HP group leadership and EQ presidency.
terrysackett

Post by terrysackett »

I hope there is a plan in the works to fix the home teaching assignments problem. That's going to cause major issues in my ward, because at least half of the districts combine elders and high priests as companions, and as teachers/families.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

SR Ward Clerk wrote:I hope there is a plan in the works to fix the home teaching assignments problem. That's going to cause major issues in my ward, because at least half of the districts combine elders and high priests as companions, and as teachers/families.
I'd like to hear from others on this topic before I would assume the report is accurate, or if it is accurate for the person reporting, that the problem will affect others. At this point, there is one person reporting the problem, and one (me) reporting that it works fine. Let's get some more input.
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

Alan_Brown wrote:I'd like to hear from others on this topic before I would assume the report is accurate, or if it is accurate for the person reporting, that the problem will affect others. At this point, there is one person reporting the problem, and one (me) reporting that it works fine. Let's get some more input.

I agree with Alan. If there are any other issues, let us know, we haven't heard of any other issues like this one.
wraytogo-p40
Church Employee
Church Employee

Elder as HP Secratary worked for me

Post by wraytogo-p40 »

Alan_Brown wrote:In my testing, MLS 3.0 will allow an Elder to be a leader in the High Priests Group, as long as he is indeed a member of the High Priests Group. When you select "All" during the selection process, the definition of "All" that is used is "All members of the High Priests Group organization."

Adding an elder to the HPG is the step many people overlook. But you said that you double checked that this elder was indeed a member of the HPG, so what you're seeing doesn't match my tests. Hmmm....
I went into the Elders Quorum and removed an Elder. I then assigned that Elder to the High Priests in the screen that pops up with your remove someone. I then went into the HP's and the Elder was there. I clicked on the HP Secratary position, clicked select, then selected "All" from the "Office" drop down list and then was able to add the Elder as the Secratary.
terrysackett

Post by terrysackett »

Actually, counting my issue with adding a person as a leader in a quorum of a different priesthood office, along with the other person that reported it, makes two. I haven't had a reason to try to do it since early last year, and I tried three times then. It may have been fixed in versions that were released after that time. Also, as I'm sure you know, there are many clerks that don't even use this Web site. I've never heard anyone in my stake mention it.

As far as the home teaching districts issue is concerned, no one in my ward has tried to edit the assignments yet. My EQ president came to the office tonight to enter and view home teaching visits while I was updating the callings board in the bishop's office. He didn't have any problems with the mixed elder/HP companionships being cleared out, but he was not in the assignments screen, so it probably wasn't an accurate test.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”