2010 Calendar

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
lancer-p40

2010 Calendar

Post by lancer-p40 »

Is there anywhere that shows a 2010 Chrurch Calendar that would have the dates of General Conference and important dates for the year. The calendar on lds.org does not show General Conference dates yet.

Thanks,
Lance
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lancer wrote:Is there anywhere that shows a 2010 Church Calendar that would have the dates of General Conference and important dates for the year. The calendar on lds.org does not show General Conference dates yet.
I don't know where those dates may be posted yet. But based on the consistent pattern of the last many years, we can anticipate:
  • March 27, 2010: General Young Women Meeting
  • April 3-4, 2010: General Conference
  • September 25, 2010: General Relief Society Meeting
  • October 2-3, 2010: General Conference
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:But based on the consistent pattern of the last many years, we can anticipate:

Also, the satellite broadcast schedule usually shows up in June or July each year, and the dates of those events will be on it.
JPratt-p40

The pattern

Post by JPratt-p40 »

The dates of general conference tend to be based upon this rule:

The first Sunday of April and October (with the preceding Saturday, even if it is in another month).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

JPratt wrote:The dates of general conference tend to be based upon this rule:

The first Sunday of April and October (with the preceding Saturday, even if it is in another month).
Good point. And to extend that rule:
  • General Young Women Meeting is the Saturday before April conference
  • General Relief Society Meeting is the Saturday before October conference
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JPratt wrote:The dates of general conference tend to be based upon this rule:

Generally true, but I have seen exceptions.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Generally true, but I have seen exceptions.
Actually, in the entire history of 2-day conferences (which began in April 1977), there has been only one exception. That was in October 2000, when the Conference Center was dedicated on October 8 (by the standard rule, conference would have been September 30-October 1). Could it be that it was delayed a week to October 7-8 because the Conference Center couldn't have been ready a week earlier?

That's clearly speculation, but with only one exception to the rule for 65 conferences, the rule seems pretty reliable.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Yes, it is pretty reliable. I'm probably remembering the same exception. I had heard the rumor that it was to avoid the Olympics. The dates do match. While it may sound a bit far-fetched for the church to move conference because the members might prefer to watch a sporting event, the church could have found itself having problems booking satellite time for complete world-wide coverage. But that's still speculation.

But the point being, there are exceptions. And in this case, I remember the change coming mid-year.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

RussellHltn wrote:Yes, it is pretty reliable. I'm probably remembering the same exception. I had heard the rumor that it was to avoid the Olympics. The dates do match. While it may sound a bit far-fetched for the church to move conference because the members might prefer to watch a sporting event, the church could have found itself having problems booking satellite time for complete world-wide coverage. But that's still speculation.

But the point being, there are exceptions. And in this case, I remember the change coming mid-year.
It's possible...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Summer_Olympics

...it would have been right during the closing ceremonies basically.

The 2004 and 2008 Summer Olympics were both hold within the month of August. 1996 was the last half of July. The 2000 Olympics do seem to have been held later than most. This statement on Wikipedia might be a clue as to why it was held so much later than normal:
It was the second time that the Summer Olympics were held in the Southern Hemisphere, the first one being in Melbourne in 1956.
It would have been just coming out of Winter and the beginning of Spring for the Southern Hemisphere.
dmaynes

Post by dmaynes »

lancer wrote:Is there anywhere that shows a 2010 Chrurch Calendar that would have the dates of General Conference and important dates for the year. The calendar on lds.org does not show General Conference dates yet.

Thanks,
Lance
You might try asking the Stake Presidency. The church usually sends out a broadcast schedule well in advance for broadcasts coming over the satellite system. The General Conference broadcasts are listed on that schedule and will probably be one of the first official documents showing the date. It could very well be the case that some of these items have not been calendared yet.

Thanks,
Dennis

Return to “General Discussions”