LUWS switching to LDS Account

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
AileneRHerrick

Switchover is complete!!!

Post by AileneRHerrick »

Okay all! Looks like the switchover is complete! Now the login page requires you to use an LDS Account to get into the website.

Now, how do we get everyone to switch their accounts? Obviously they will have to if they want to log in, but what if they never log in? I still have some outdated email addresses that keep bouncing on me!!!

Thanks to all the work that the Church has put into this! I'm excited to have the LDS Account available now for logging in!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

AileneRHerrick wrote:Okay all! Looks like the switchover is complete!
Thanks for being so on top of the changes and letting us know!
AileneRHerrick wrote:Now the login page requires you to use an LDS Account to get into the website.
That's not quite true. You can still login with your old LUWS credentials. If you do so, you will be strongly encouraged to register for an LDS Account, and if you do register at that point, it's pretty easy because much of the information is copied from your old LUWS credentials.

If you don't register at that point, you can still go into the web site without registering, but you are told you will only have 90 days to use your old credentials.
AileneRHerrick wrote:Now, how do we get everyone to switch their accounts? Obviously they will have to if they want to log in, but what if they never log in? I still have some outdated email addresses that keep bouncing on me!!!
If they don't ever login, it doesn't really matter that they have an old account. I'm not sure what will happen 90 days from now if they try to login with old credentials. I would guess (but that is just speculation) that they would stil be able to use their old credentials to register for an LDS Account, but could no longer login to the website with their old credentials.

As for the outdated email addresses, many administrators try really hard to contact such users and ask them to change, but if they can't be contacted or refuse/neglect to change the e-mail address, the administrator eventually just disables the account.
DaltonTM
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by DaltonTM »

Alan_Brown wrote: If they don't ever login, it doesn't really matter that they have an old account. I'm not sure what will happen 90 days from now if they try to login with old credentials. I would guess (but that is just speculation) that they would stil be able to use their old credentials to register for an LDS Account, but could no longer login to the website with their old credentials.
You are correct. After 90 days, users who login with their old account will be taken to the merge screen without the grace period, and will be asked to update now. The creation of the LDS Account will still be auto-populated based on their old account information just as it is now.

May I also say how impressed I am with how quickly these changes get picked up by the community.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Alan_Brown wrote:That's not quite true. You can still login with your old LUWS credentials. If you do so, you will be strongly encouraged to register for an LDS Account, and if you do register at that point, it's pretty easy because much of the information is copied from your old LUWS credentials.
I think this may be dependent on whether you have an LDS Account or not. I my case I have an LDS Account and cannot log in using my old LUWS credentials. I receive the following message when I try to use my old LUWS login:
You entered your previous user name and password. Please use your LDS Account user name and password
If you need to recover your LDS Account user name or password, see the “Can’t sign in” section below.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Tyler wrote:You are correct. After 90 days, users who login with their old account will be taken to the merge screen without the grace period, and will be asked to update now. The creation of the LDS Account will still be auto-populated based on their old account information just as it is now.

May I also say how impressed I am with how quickly these changes get picked up by the community.
Just out of curiosity from previous discussion...

Did you guys end up implementing a means of auto-population for users that click the "Obtain an LDS Account" instead of just blindly typing in old LUWS credentials?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:I think this may be dependent on whether you have an LDS Account or not. I my case I have an LDS Account and cannot log in using my old LUWS credentials. I receive the following message when I try to use my old LUWS login:
You're right. My comment was intended to be in the context of people who need to transition to LDS Account, for whom the statement is true, but I can see I didn't make that very clear.

People who do have an LDS Account must use that LDS Account to login to LUWS now. Thanks for the clarification.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mkmurray wrote:Did you guys end up implementing a means of auto-population for users that click the "Obtain an LDS Account" instead of just blindly typing in old LUWS credentials?
I don't know that "blindly" is a fair characterization -- the prompt does say "Registered users can enter their user name and password below." So if users read and follow that prompt, they will go through the helpful process.

But nonetheless, I share your concern that many people will see those links for obtaining an LDS Account, and since it seems pretty clear that they will need one of those, click one of those links.

To answer your first question, those links take you directly to the standard LDS Account registration page. You are not asked if you have an LUWS login, and so obviously no information is transferred from the LUWS login account. So anyone who follows that process will have to know their confirmation date and member record number.

It seems to me that the links from the LUWS login page for LDS Account could take you to an intermediate page that would ask if you have an LUWS login so that you could enter those credentials and follow the streamlined LDS Account registration process. People without an LUWS login would thus have just one extra click for this one-time registration process, whereas people with an LUWS login would save considerable time, especially if they don't have their member record number and confirmation date handy.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Alan_Brown wrote:I don't know that "blindly" is a fair characterization -- the prompt does say "Registered users can enter their user name and password below." So if users read and follow that prompt, they will go through the helpful process.

But nonetheless, I share your concern that many people will see those links for obtaining an LDS Account, and since it seems pretty clear that they will need one of those, click one of those links.

To answer your first question, those links take you directly to the standard LDS Account registration page. You are not asked if you have an LUWS login, and so obviously no information is transferred from the LUWS login account. So anyone who follows that process will have to know their confirmation date and member record number.

It seems to me that the links from the LUWS login page for LDS Account could take you to an intermediate page that would ask if you have an LUWS login so that you could enter those credentials and follow the streamlined LDS Account registration process. People without an LUWS login would thus have just one extra click for this one-time registration process, whereas people with an LUWS login would save considerable time, especially if they don't have their member record number and confirmation date handy.
Yeah this is exactly what I was envisioning when I mentioned it earlier in the thread (thank you for the better explanation and description).

Tyler responded it was a good suggestion and that he would pass it along. I was curious if was implemented in this new live (or non-beta) login page, but it appears it didn't make it.
DaltonTM
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by DaltonTM »

mkmurray wrote:Yeah this is exactly what I was envisioning when I mentioned it earlier in the thread (thank you for the better explanation and description).

Tyler responded it was a good suggestion and that he would pass it along. I was curious if was implemented in this new live (or non-beta) login page, but it appears it didn't make it.
This was discussed (and initially we leaned toward doing so), but since we decided the wording above the login was not saying anything was "new", that we would be ok as is. The majority of people will come to the login, and attempt to login just as they always have, and then be taken to the migrate page. Most users do not know that an "LDS Account" is any different than what they already have.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Tyler wrote:The majority of people will come to the login, and attempt to login just as they always have, and then be taken to the migrate page. Most users do not know that an "LDS Account" is any different than what they already have.
I'll definitely agree with that.

It's just too bad that the more observant users of the site may miss the convience of the auto-population. Of course this same crowd is likely the ones that already know (or can very easily find within their own possession) their MRN and Confirmation Date.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”